24 Trials Frame

Little Yoshi

Right this maggy is really starting to piss me off. So much so im going back to disk. Now this requires a new frame.

Dont want to get another Because. Should I wait for the new Neon frame. Which it should be near the same geo as the Because. Or will I send a order off to Marnio?

If I go for Marnio would someone please explain the difference between 4130 Chromoly and carbon steel? Also the differnce between Double and Triple Butted?

Basically 'Chromoly' is a series of steel that contains some Chromium and some molybdenum thus the chromoly name.

The series begins with 41 so

You get like 4120, 4130 (As seen in BMX) 4140 etc and others in between.

It is stronger and harder than standard 'carbon steel'.

I cant be 100% but I'm pretty sure it was used in BMX applications because of its wear resistance which bmx frames suffer from doing grinds and such.

Butted tubing means the thickness of the tube wall varies along its length so for instance it may be thicker at the ends than in the middle.

Double butting means it has 2 variations and triple butted means it has three etc.

This allows thinner middle sections to be used and hence lower weight frames.

new frame = £250+

New rim = £50 max?

surly you should just change the rim?

EDIT: sorry i know this isn't the awnser your looking for but even so.

Want to go back to duel disk. Never got on with maggys. And I mean since I started I never got on with them.

Basically 'Chromoly' is a series of steel that contains some Chromium and some molybdenum thus the chromoly name.

The series begins with 41 so

You get like 4120, 4130 (As seen in BMX) 4140 etc and others in between.

It is stronger and harder than standard 'carbon steel'.

I cant be 100% but I'm pretty sure it was used in BMX applications because of its wear resistance which bmx frames suffer from doing grinds and such.

Butted tubing means the thickness of the tube wall varies along its length so for instance it may be thicker at the ends than in the middle.

Double butting means it has 2 variations and triple butted means it has three etc.

This allows thinner middle sections to be used and hence lower weight frames.

Ah thanks. So would chromoly be better for trial use?

The ability to case harden it would probably be of benefit also as it would put a thin layer of harder material on the outside to resist scrapes yet keep the toughness within the material.

You could case harden either of those steels if you wanted to though...

Case hardening is usually done on individual parts like plates or bearing surfaces- not on fabricated structures like a frame. I highly doubt welding and case hardening are a good combination...

As already said though- Cromo steel would have significantly greater tensile strength and resist scratches better. It should also have better resistance to rusting (although you'd still need paint) and the higher strength and reduced level of impurities would mean thinner tubes could be used, leading to a lighter frame.. The difference between these two steels is big..but be aware that high quality steel frames use much better materials again. Cromo is pretty basic in todays terms..

Adam

You could case harden either of those steels if you wanted to though...

Case hardening is usually done on individual parts like plates or bearing surfaces- not on fabricated structures like a frame. I highly doubt welding and case hardening are a good combination...

Could it not be case hardened and bronze welded. Would there be any point in doing that?

Or would the subsequent post welding heat treating nullify the previous heat treatment?

As already said though- Cromo steel would have significantly greater tensile strength and resist scratches better. It should also have better resistance to rusting (although you'd still need paint) and the higher strength and reduced level of impurities would mean thinner tubes could be used, leading to a lighter frame.. The difference between these two steels is big..but be aware that high quality steel frames use much better materials again. Cromo is pretty basic in todays terms..

Adam

Agreed

Thats why Curtis use manganese molybdenum alloy steel I suppose, what other alloys are used in frame manufacture?

Edited by Matt Vandart

I'm not sure what you mean by bronze weld but I guess it's some kind of cold weld where you don't actually melt the parent material? Though that wouldn't need post weld heat treating..

In a typical cold weld procedure you'd still be putting a fair amount of heat into the material and the C or N atoms introduced during case hardnening are bound to diffuse to some extent. Whether it would negate the hardening effect depends on lots of things but in any case it's nice to be able to weld with a similar metal... I'm not really sure there's any benefit in case hardening frame tubing either- maybe the dropouts? But then i'd steer clear of the weld area anyway..

Just looked at some of the Reynolds tubing on wikipedia.. there's a fair few here

Adam

Just looked at some of the Reynolds tubing on wikipedia.. there's a fair few here

Does anyone remember what Clive Leeson made/ makes his out of? My 660 had a sticker on the downtube saying what it was, but i can't remember the number on it... 531 sounds familiar.

No real reason, just curious!

Edited by Skoze