Home Made Frame - Fourth Update

Rob Leech

What is the process of forming steel tubing to that shape?

Project steed looks good (Y)

Well, we havent really got the perfect kit for it, we've only got a quite simple pipe bender, really you'd want to roll it (Y).

I had to pack the tubing with sand, trying to get it as compact as possible to stop the tube from crushing, then it was pretty much bend it and check it against my drawing until its at the right angle :)

Quite simple, but efective.

What, you've glued it together.........scared :unsure:

Looks very professional though mate, would confuse the hell outta non trials riders, push it dude, make buggers and earn yourself some £'s, you seem to have done that in a week! gotta be plenty of people willing to pay £500 for a frame you could build to there specification?!

Yeah, the carbon had to be bonded into the top tube. But the glue wasn't exactly prit stick :P.

Cheers,

Josh.

Oh, and i might look into it, but this has been a week of 13-15 hour days and weekends, so its quite a big ask to start making any big quantity of them like, but we'll see.

Edited by Rob Leech

looks sweet. when you making some forks to suit?

I've just knocked up a rollcage for my land rover and thought that was tough fabrication, this is so precise! I take it, this is your profession?

Excellent job cant wait to see it finished finished! and a video of it riding! (Y)

Another question on the seat tube. Anything yet? is it rideable?

It looks incredible in bare metal colour to be honest. And a good deal of time in this but please put a seat tube in if theres nothing already! lol What kind of pipe roller did you use btw? ring roller or a former? Radius looks kinda tight for the wall thickness...

seriously good looking frame though (Y)

looks sweet. when you making some forks to suit?

I've just knocked up a rollcage for my land rover and thought that was tough fabrication, this is so precise! I take it, this is your profession?

Excellent job cant wait to see it finished finished! and a video of it riding! (Y)

Hadn't thought about forks actually :rolleyes:

Tis indeed, welder fabricator, on my advanced apprenticeship atm (Y).

Another question on the seat tube. Anything yet? is it rideable?

It looks incredible in bare metal colour to be honest. And a good deal of time in this but please put a seat tube in if theres nothing already! lol What kind of pipe roller did you use btw? ring roller or a former? Radius looks kinda tight for the wall thickness...

seriously good looking frame though (Y)

Yeah, theres a seat tube, have got some pics, will put them up later on (Y).

Only got the brake mounts on it yesterday, had a little play outside the workshop and is feeling good so far, but need to take it on a proper ride really.

We havent got a roller here, only a rather crappy little hydraulic bender.

Yeah dude, weill impressed! Should be out and about next week sometime, let us know when you've got it rollin!

Ritey o, will probably be doin the normal leicester ride on saturday if you fancy it (Y).

Should be some more pics up tonight :).

Josh.

Got to agree with Andy, poor job on the paint job, nice light or bright single colour to offset the carbon and make it stand out would have been a million times better. Now it's built i also think the curve on he top tube is too extreme and the "seat tube" is way too small. It's a damn good effort, especially for a first go! Darn sight better than i could do.

It looked awesome (even though its not my sort of bike) and then you painted it.... badly. (N)

Andy

Fair enough, but i would say that the pictures dont do it justice, i'll try and get some pics taken with a decent camera (Y).

Cheers,

Josh.

I got a question. How thick is are them tubes? They look chunky in the pics but they're a bit grainy so it's to tell and i know you said you were aiming for 2kg. Sorry if you covered that, skim-read the last 2 pages.

Can't help but think it would seriously bend in the middle.

However very very cool. Will subscribe to this thread :D

I got a question. How thick is are them tubes? They look chunky in the pics but they're a bit grainy so it's to tell and i know you said you were aiming for 2kg. Sorry if you covered that, skim-read the last 2 pages.

Can't help but think it would seriously bend in the middle.

However very very cool. Will subscribe to this thread :D

Nah, good question, too thick it turns out, i could of gone about half a mm thinner, which dosent sound alot, but when you think of it, it would of saved alot of weight.

However, i have just bought a lot of aluminium, enough to make 3 frames, so i'll keep everyone posted on what happens (Y).

Cheers,

Josh.