Ashton 2010

T.McMillan

I do like the look of straight pull Hopes, but they are still a pretty pointless design in my eyes! Hardly any lighter than the standard hubs, which are pretty heavy in the first place...

I didn't think the point was lighter, I thought it was just that straight pull spokes were stronger as they don't have the silly elbow. But yeah given the number of times I've ever broken spokes or felt the need for a much stronger rear wheel I would stick to normal readily available spokes.

However

After visiting Eurobike this week, its pretty apparent that trials is the most backward in terms of technology than any other mtb discipline, and HAS to change.

EDIT: Bike looks cool, scary, but cool. Carbon seat is a win.

EDIT: Bike looks cool, scary, but cool. Carbon seat is a win.

this statement is exactly what i thought. Infact i think my comments to mcarthur were - looks good, but will be snapped in a couple of weeks. good effort thought tom. best custom drilling done so far on any bike if you ask me. really neat job done.

The first comp I ever went to, back in about 2002 (The Section 7 sponsored YMSA) was the first time I saw Neil ride. He and Phil Williams cleaned the entire comp in red route, I think I scored about 70! He was riding a blue Pashley back then and was the smoothest rider I had ever seen. So yeah he was a pretty damn good technical rider before he ever became a power house.

Ah fair enough. I thought he must've been into the comp scene before but don't remember any videos or anything from way back when.

Tom- who made the CF seat unit for you? Will certainly be interesting to see how long the frame lasts :rolleyes:!

Really nice bike! Love the Spec. Think you should have grinded the tubes thinner, and not making big holes in your toptube! That might be better strenght wise :ermm:

How is your front rim holding up? I have the same on my bike, gets alot of beating, still true as an arrow!

Probs gonna' get slated as f**k for this lol, but i really don't like it, at all. Holes in the top tube look, kinda retarded and just un-neccesary ?

Sorry bud.

+1.

I don't personally like it. I didn't want to say it, but being as he did it first, I thought I would.

It's the holes in the frame I don't like. Other than that it's nice!

Blimey this has sparked some interest, thanks for all the comments and banter guys.

Heres answers to a few questions.

The rear Hope hub is a prototype at the moment, it builds a stiffer wheel and spokes are stronger than the norm for obvious reasons, if Hope release this wheel into there "Hope Hoops" range they will be supplied with spare spokes and if you manage to snap loads then they would just send you spares to you.

Picture of the bashring will be up when im home.

Havent cut the maggie mounts of as I test the bike with different brake set ups.

I filmed some GENTLE :) footage last night of me riding the bike and it seems fine so far. Will post online by the end of the week when ive done an edit.

The Stans ZTR355 wheel is awesome ive been running it for a good 6 months now, although sometimes I do get tyre burp but thats expected.

Terry Wilkinson made the seat for me, he is going to make an improved one so ive been told.

Think ive answered most of the questions.

Cheers

Tom

Edited by T.McMillan

So HOPE are going to be selling complete wheels, or Hoops as you call them?

As Rowan said, ive never felt the need for a stiffer wheel build.

Maybe there isn't a need for a stiffer wheel, but if it is stiffer than an already stiff wheel then surely thats not a bad thing.

I don't know exactly what they plan to do yet, but they will always be looking for improvements.

Hope Hoops is the name for there complete wheel builds and they work out cheaper than if you were to buy a rim, spokes and hubs etc and get it built by a bike shop. Its a way of getting better wheels out there for not a big expense. They have been doing Hoops for a couple of years now for other disciplines, XC, DH and Road, Now they are venturing into trials possibly.

Tom