Measurements - Rear Spacing On 24" Trials Frames

Rocky

not on a 24 no, id say youd be better off with a trials specific wheelset anyway tbf

What about onto a 26" Trials bike? 24" or 26" I'm not bothered....

I'm trying to build a high quality exercise machine for continuous pumping in the BMX-stance position. The idea is that without a seat (I'd want a frame without absolutely no seatpost all, to complete the look), I obviously can't sit down, and so this encourages me to ride in that specific position, enabling me to give myself a continuous total upper and lower body resistance and cardio workout...

I've already got the white 24" Skyways from an abandoned project (I can still use them for that bike, but I'm a bit unsure whether or not to...)....And because they look cool, I was just hoping that Trials bikes came with 110mm rear spacing.....

Maybe I could get a 116mm Trials frame and use some kind of washers either side of the rear wheel to make up for the difference in 3mm either side??????????

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?product_id=11282&category_id=544

You will not find one of those for sale second hand.

Yeah I saw that frame on the Tarty website....... What do you mean I won't find it second hand? Are you urging me to buy that frame? I don't get you..... It looks kinda sweet though' (shame it's Spanish; that kinda puts me off a bit)

Kabra_black.jpg

COLORS_tuff_wheel_063-1.jpg

It's a nice looking frame, but surely there must be other 116 frames out there??????

Do they make 26" Trials frames with 116mm rear dropouts?????

That would be ideal; then I could just put the 24" wheels on the larger 26" frame....... I need a long frame anyway...

There doesn't seem to be no Holroyd frame anymore on their website............ But in any case..... Does anyone actually know the history behind the rear dropoiut spacing dimensions????

Why is BMX 110mm and why is Trials bike 135mm or 116mm ????????????

I can understand why it might be 135mm, to accommodate a fatter tyre..... but still, it might be worthwhile understanding the history involved, yeah?

It has nothing to do with tyres and everything to do with gears. The very first trials bikes produced back in the early 80's were basically modified BMX's and singlespeed so were ~110mm spacing. The wider 135mm spacing was used on mountainbikes to accomodate the cassette of gears to be used with derraileurs. When mountainbikes started being used as trials bikes, the rules stated that bikes had to have 6 working gears so the wide spacing remained and we had 26" bikes (stocks) with 135mm spacing and 20" bikes (mods) with ~110mm spacing. Note here that for the most part 20" trials bikes eventually went to 116mm spacing to allow for two 3mm thick snail cams to be used inside the frame for chain tensioning.

However, a few years ago, and due to the increasing trend for stock riders to run singlespeed for simplicity and weight saving, the rules were changed to allow singlespeed bikes with either wheel size. It was around that time that 'modstocks' (26" bikes with mod spacing of 116mm) were introduced. There are also a couple of companies who have toyed with 20" bikes with 135mm spacing ('stockmods'?!).

Anyhoo, think that's pretty near the mark.

Wow thanks man, that was a real good answer; just what the doctor ordered.....

I think you're going to be my source for answers from now on; you seem to really know your onions.

I wasn't thinking straight, I knew 135mm was MTB spacing.....

I think you've solved my problem though', of how to put a 24" Skyway Tuff wheel (110mm) onto a 116mm frame, using SNAIL CAMS. I've heard that term before, but never actually got round to finding out what they; so I better do a quick check to see what it is. I'm guessing it's like a 3mm thick washer kind of nut thingy?

At the moment, I got a lush 24" Scandium Supercross S-7 BMX frame jigged up in my bedroom, with a pair of Sinz 24" Carbon forks and a nice pair of Pace RC-31 forks both lying about, a set of Shimano DXR cranks, a Tektro DonRob white V-brake, Azonic Revenge bars, Straightline stem, white Oury grips, and a wicked Try-all freewheel, all kinda partially built up in some sort of ride which I have no idea what it's supposed to end up looking like.

Hence my Trials bike idea.... Presuming I put the Pace forks onto the Supercross, and ride that with a seat in a high position, that bike will end up as a 24" MTB-barred racer kind of thing. But as for the Trial bike idea, like I mentioned in my previous post, I want to build some sort of exercise machine, making good use of the 24" Skyway Tuff wheels..... If I had the money, I'd probably go all out on some Orange Koxx Sky bike, they seem to look like the top of the range stuff, and Rockman looks really classy instead; but since this is my first Trial build, and I'm intending to use it just for exercise and thrashing, I think I better keep the budget to a minimum.

This frame has really caught my eye ......... Is it any good? It looks excellent (welding, angles, cut), but looks can be deceiving sometimes.

bec111.jpg