Hydraulic Brakes

madmanic

even though i have always used hydraulic brakes i have always just took the bike to my local store when i need them looking at just because its easier.

today i had a slight fall knocked the brake line out of the lever and have now lost my front brake.

rode round to my local bike store and asked him to sort it and he told he he has stopped doing them as they are to time consuming,he had no other work on but didnt have the time to sort it for me.

now i have fixed the line back to the lever and got the mineral oil but i have no idea what to do now as i have never done it before.

i have looked for ways to bleed the line and since i dont have a bleed kit looks like im going to have to water bleed it.

but my question is - where do i put the oil? do i undo the bolt on the lever and put it in there? or do i put it in on the cyclinder near the rim?

surely doing that under water fills your line with water or am i just being thick?

and i need to know how i put the oil in befor i bleed any air out

magura video here: http://www.magura.com/en/products/rim-brakes-2010/prod/hs-33/info/movies.html

scroll down a little

bleed your brake with water, better than oil, more responsive and feels more snappy

Edited by josh barker

cheers

so basically i either fill it with water or buy a service kit! brilliant. more money

water, you dont have to buy a service kit, tartybikes and heatsink bikes sell the bleed kit instead of having to buy the service kit

Edited by josh barker

water, you dont have to buy a service kit, tartybikes and heatsink bikes sell the bleed kit instead of having to buy the service kit

yeah just looked on tarty, can get the syringe and tubes for £8 so im happy again now. kind of got used to riding with no front brake today

my bike is kept outside so in the winter i would have to drain the lines everytime i had finished with it and then re-bleed it everytime i wanted use it again.

ill just order the pipes off tarty

Or you could just mix some anti freeze into the water your using to bleed your brakes...

Ive seen somewhere on the forum that some guy uses mouthwash in his brakes