Unlocking Phones Online

Milford Cubicle

Anyone done it? Or know good sites?

billx

I tried it once, for my blackberry storm. I had to ring a number and follow the voice prompts, after about 5 mins it finally read out a number to type in, which, surprise surprise....didn't work.

Best off going to a shop and getting it done, costs about £10 usually.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to dig this up again but I've just bought an HTC Wildfire (well, I say bought, it only cost me £9.97) but it's locked to Tesco. I'm tempted to give giffgaff a go but would need to unlock the phone first. Is it possible to get the unlock code without going through one of these dodgy online/ebay places? Would HTC direct be able to provide the number?

Also, while I'm on the subject, has anyone had any experience of giffgaff? Only just come across it and it seems almost too good to be true... Any thoughts?!

Sorry to dig this up again but I've just bought an HTC Wildfire (well, I say bought, it only cost me £9.97) but it's locked to Tesco. I'm tempted to give giffgaff a go but would need to unlock the phone first. Is it possible to get the unlock code without going through one of these dodgy online/ebay places? Would HTC direct be able to provide the number?

Also, while I'm on the subject, has anyone had any experience of giffgaff? Only just come across it and it seems almost too good to be true... Any thoughts?!

The unlock code is usually supplied by the provider, although I'm not sure if Tesco will give it to you?

The unlock code is usually supplied by the provider, although I'm not sure if Tesco will give it to you?

Yeah I don't think many providers will do it (especially immediately after buying the phone). But there are loads of places online who charge between £11 and £25 to apparently access the HTC database and get hold of the unlock code for you. But where do they get their access from?

Someone asked the same question on a dodgy forum i'm on yesterday:

Can get code for you mate. Will try the old DB first which will be £8. If not available then will be £18 from new Database

this may interest you too

The ebay/online places aren't that dodgy, I've used them for all my phones.

Yep - pretty happy with it so far.

Damn... finally got the sim registered, topped up with £5 and bought a £10 'goodybag' and it appears that although my phone is not locked and can phone and text through Giffgaff no problems, the APN data settings are locked to tesco. I've added a new APN setup with all the Giffgaff settings but the Tesco ones can't be modified or deleted and I can't access the interweb without a WLAN. Will try phoning Tesco tomorrow t osee what they say but are there any otehr suggestions out there?!

Damn... finally got the sim registered, topped up with £5 and bought a £10 'goodybag' and it appears that although my phone is not locked and can phone and text through Giffgaff no problems, the APN data settings are locked to tesco. I've added a new APN setup with all the Giffgaff settings but the Tesco ones can't be modified or deleted and I can't access the interweb without a WLAN. Will try phoning Tesco tomorrow t osee what they say but are there any otehr suggestions out there?!

Although the Tesco APNs are locked in, is it not possible to add your own and just select the new ones as preference? Usually just press the radio button to the right of the APN profile in the APN list.