Someone Explain To Me

Matt Vandart

How the f**k does it save weight? :blink:

not by much but if you wanted hydraulic on a vee frame u would have to use the evo adaptor but if you wanted a vee brake on 4 bolt then all you need is that small plate thing. every little helps!

Edited by trials owns

As has been said increases the braking performance by forcing the pads onto the rim as the brake is applied. However I don't think it would make them crack any sooner, my Urbans with mounts on the front cracked in under a month. Rockman forks are your friend (Y)

Alex,

That is what I was thinking, however do you think

A: the performance improvement is worth the risk of snappage.

B: it reduces 'Chatter' and as such a quieter brake?

A...not for poop, well setup front mount works adequately

B, I found louder bake, but less chatter, bags more hold.

As has been said increases the braking performance by forcing the pads onto the rim as the brake is applied. However I don't think it would make them crack any sooner, my Urbans with mounts on the front cracked in under a month. Rockman forks are your friend (Y)

Yup it does...hm maybe craigy...It just seems like reverse go a lot sooner, I think you'll find that's the general concensus? Although I'm probably wrong heh.

Edited by Alex Dark

dont want to put a spanner in the works....

surely there has been some reason 95% of brakes have been put on the front of the fork in all areas of biking (obviously before the discs became as popular). i remember pace forks (i think) having a rear mount but thats about it?

I'd imagine that's partially 'cos they're a lot easier to set up if you've got the brake on the front of the leg? If you're trying to pump out hundreds of bikes a day I guess it'd speed things up slightly...

surely there has been some reason 95% of brakes have been put on the front of the fork in all areas of biking (obviously before the discs became as popular). i remember pace forks (i think) having a rear mount but thats about it?

If the whole mounts being under more stress thing is true, then its because on the front they're less likely to break...

Well the idea years back when it sprouted was that visibility would better for comp use.

Also, it increases the hold of the brake since the pistons are pushed into the fork legs when braking reducing flex slightly.

And just a guess here, it could decrease fork snappage around maggie mounts? I mean if the fork flexes backwards most of the time, you don't want a stiff bit of aluminium welded in front of the fork.

Well the idea years back when it sprouted was that visibility would better for comp use.

Also, it increases the hold of the brake since the pistons are pushed into the fork legs when braking reducing flex slightly.

And just a guess here, it could decrease fork snappage around maggie mounts? I mean if the fork flexes backwards most of the time, you don't want a stiff bit of aluminium welded in front of the fork.

I hadn't thought of that.

That was my thought, the brake flexing outwards and away from the wheel surely would put more stress on the brake mounts, leading to them cracking faster? Where as reverse mount forks reduce this stress and should lead to the forks lasting longer?

Certainly can't see my Rockman forks snapping any time soon.