Chain Tug On Onza Are Shit!

Desmond Derv

Just been playing about in the garden, m chain tug has bent something mega so I gave it a few gentle taps back in place and was good for about an hour, had a quick look (while having a fag brake) its bent proper bad now and its stripped the threads, I think its an ally bit of metal so I guess that's why but just proper fu**ed me off, are there better ones about or they all eventually going to brake.

This is the 3rd thing that's has 'broken' on my bike and its only a week old, I think Onza have been cheap on the build on the lower end models, has anyone else experienced any problems?

So far for me:

Axel nut washers snapped, Brake leaver bold 'fell' off and now the chain tugs, what's next!

a one week old bike shouldnt need much maintenance really

Most one week old bikes will need some form of maintenance, everything beds in loosens up, especially with the things a trials bike goes through. Generally I'll check my bike before every ride just to make sure things are all tight and OK. And of course Onza have been cheap on the lower end bikes, they're cheap.....

it must be you not the bike, lack of maintenance

as said, not much to maintain, I have checked pedals every ride (and every 30 mins on first ride) same with cranks, over all blots I check before every ride (don't want the handle bars slipping as I'm perched over a drop) and the chain needed tightening once (after first hour) and never been touched since.(basicaly followed tarty bikes guide so :P)

what about a quality bmx set an run them on the inside of the frame

Will have a look at that, might be the trick!

and a set a month! that's not good :( I'm only on labourers wage lmao, DOH!

Chain tugs are shit though, snail cams eff tee dubya if your frame can run them

True. are there any threaded holes on the dropouts? You may well be able to run snail cams. I think the TrialTechs and the V!Z ones are the biggest (offer the most range of adjusment) so you'll be best with those.

If anyone knows different, feel free to correct me! :P

LOL, he's only had it a week! What maintenance?

The first few rides are the most important as stuff beds in!

The chain tugs on the Onza bikes are fine, they are not designed to take any force at all - as long as you keep the axle nuts tight and don't land on them, they will last forever.

The first few rides are the most important as stuff beds in!

The chain tugs on the Onza bikes are fine, they are not designed to take any force at all - as long as you keep the axle nuts tight and don't land on them, they will last forever.

yeah to right, i have had the same chain tugs for a very long time and had no problems at all and tensions the chain lovely.

Edited by trials owns

Not being funny.. You dont need to post everytime your bike breaks.. I'm sure people break things all the time. Just buy some new tentioners. Make sure everything is tight. Then go out and enjoy your bike.

Happy days.

I never liked the idea of these tugs and I'm surprised to hear they don't actually don't have the strength to hold your wheel when snail cams can and do. The back wheel moves about a little regardless how much you tighten the axle bolts.

Edited by JT!

Not being funny.. You dont need to post everytime your bike breaks.. I'm sure people break things all the time. Just buy some new tentioners. Make sure everything is tight. Then go out and enjoy your bike.

Happy days.

Completely agree, in the last 2months ive broke 3 pairs of pedals, 2 cross overs and snapped a brake lever, not once have i posted about it as it just clogs the forum. :closedeyes:

Profile tugs own all:

http://www.alansbmx....roducts_id=2451

Sameish prices as the snail-cams anyhoo.

They bend laughably easily. Those bolts are way, way too thin, plus for most mod dropouts they're the wrong shape and size to actually work.

To slightly tweak a famous saying: If they ain't TR cams, they ain't shit.