Spring Chain Tensioner And Mech Hanger.

trials owns

Most sprung tensioners are very similar to the cage section on a derailluer. They attach to the mech hanger and apply force downwards on the chain to create tension. There are other tensioners available like the Echo unit that is just a single aluminium bar with one jocky wheel that fits in the dropout/axle and uses that as the pivot to provide tension.

Most sprung tensioners are very similar to the cage section on a derailluer. They attach to the mech hanger and apply force downwards on the chain to create tension. There are other tensioners available like the Echo unit that is just a single aluminium bar with one jocky wheel that fits in the dropout/axle and uses that as the pivot to provide tension.

oh i see now thanks, how is the mech hanger attached? becasue i dont think its got one of them either. sorry for the noob questions.

If it doesn't have a hanger, your LBS should have some.

It attaches to the frame with a little bolt that you put through the frame.

Is it online at all? Give us a link/pictures and it'll be easier to say.

ah cheers mate got a clearer idea now, sorry no pics of it.

when attaching the mech hanger is there a thread in the frame or is it just a hole, just want to make sure becasue if i look i want to make sure the frame is not duff. also where do you buy mech hanger bolts?cant seem to find them anywhere.

thanks

Edited by trials owns

Mech hangers have a little stubby bolt and 'nut' they screw into. These two bits effectively squeeze the mech hanger against the frame's dropout, so no threads or anything to worry about on the dropouts themselves.

Just one thing to bear in mind: Be careful with buying mech hangers. There are various different types and shapes and a random one picked out of the mechanic's box at your LBS likely won't fit. So try checking around online to see what your frame needs. Or better yet, if you have a picture of its current hanger (even if it';s broken, ) just post it up and I'm sure someone'll be able to eagle-eye out which model it is you need.

Mech hangers have a little stubby bolt and 'nut' they screw into. These two bits effectively squeeze the mech hanger against the frame's dropout, so no threads or anything to worry about on the dropouts themselves.

Just one thing to bear in mind: Be careful with buying mech hangers. There are various different types and shapes and a random one picked out of the mechanic's box at your LBS likely won't fit. So try checking around online to see what your frame needs. Or better yet, if you have a picture of its current hanger (even if it';s broken, ) just post it up and I'm sure someone'll be able to eagle-eye out which model it is you need.

cheers mate, most helpfull, its for a bike that i am considering to buy but i dont no nothing about stock bikes.