1987 Monty T-219 Trials Bike Axle Question

TURBOSCHILZ

Hello, new here fellas, so please be patient...lol I'm in the process of restoring an older 1987 Monty Trials T-219 bike, my question is about the front axle, I found the axle severed in a couple of places, so I do know that the axle is indeed titanium alloy of some sort... Would anyone know the size and thread of this guy, maybe someone has one available... From what I can tell, it is a 5/16"x5.5", maybe a 8mmx140mm, but any help or additional info on this guy would be greatly appreciated... Anyone have any stock articles or catalog pics of this year or model?...

Thanks for ANY and all help...

Is the axle threaded for cup and cone type unsealed bearings? If so that might be fairly easy to get hold of from a local bike shop. I would have thought it would just be steel though rather than anything fancy like titanium but could be wrong... if you post up a pic of the dead axle it may be easier to help (Y).

Edit: Now that's oldskool!!

Yes it is the cone open bearing type, the rims themselves are Akront, the hubs are Olympic Cursa, and I'm assuming that it's titanium, a previous owner of the same type of bike stated that they were indeed an aluminum titanium, which I've never really heard of, but the axle was actually broken into 3 peices, I would think that a standard axle would simply bend, but these are clean breaks, no bending what so ever... I can try to get some pics taken of the pieces if you would like, just let me know... Otherwise, I'll try to get some pics of the bike and parts that I already have up here for you...

Thanks again...

post-25611-126936195315_thumb.jpg

post-25611-126936199077_thumb.jpg

post-25611-126936208573_thumb.jpg

Edited by TURBOSCHILZ

Pics of the axle wouldn't hurt. If it's not a standard type/size of axle I think the only options are to get one custom made by a machine shop or sending some info and pics to Monty in Spain and seeing if they happen to have anything to help- might be worth an ask!

That's assuming, of course, that you want to keep it original? If not you could pick up and random 80's front hub which would be very similar for a few dollars on eBay I'd have thought.

Thanks a lot, I'm going to need it...lol Well I went ahead and shot a few pics of the stock axle, I stuck it right next to a standard 5/16"x5.5"x26T axle, as you can see, it's almost identical, the thread is slightly different, maybe a 24T, but I really have no idea what Spain used on their bikes, so ANY help with this would be GREATLY appreciated... I do apologize for the picture quality, but that's the best I could get the camera to take... Thanks again fellas...

post-25611-126943210576_thumb.jpg

post-25611-126943211416_thumb.jpg

post-25611-126943212173_thumb.jpg

post-25611-126943212924_thumb.jpg

post-25611-126943213824_thumb.jpg

If it were me I'd just use that standard axle and get the cups and cones to suit the thread. It's by far the easiest option and for the sake of the difference I don't think it'd be worth the hassle of sourcing an exact replacement for the old one.

Edit: Being Spanish the axle could well be a metric M8 thread...

Thanks a lot, I'm going to need it...lol Well I went ahead and shot a few pics of the stock axle, I stuck it right next to a standard 5/16"x5.5"x26T axle, as you can see, it's almost identical, the thread is slightly different, maybe a 24T, but I really have no idea what Spain used on their bikes, so ANY help with this would be GREATLY appreciated... I do apologize for the picture quality, but that's the best I could get the camera to take... Thanks again fellas...

That broken axle is quite clearly steel.

Oh wow, one of my mates still has one of those! It's not complete thought unfortunately.

I'd have thought it'd just be a standard axle aswell, certaintly doesn't look fancy to me. Pop it down to your LBS and find one similar.