24" Gearing

crispyboy

Gear ratios are always sort of weird. My 18:13 setup with 175s feels pretty good as an all-rounder, but with 18:14 it definitely feels better for 'real' trials. 18:13 still feels manageable, but when you start doing more pure trialsy stuff a slightly lighter gear ratio really does help a lot. It doesn't necessarily feel bad with 18:13, but comparing the two it's definitely possible to feel you get a lot more snap out of the 18:14 setup. I can't imagine trying to do actual trials stuff with 18:12 - 18:13 was plenty enough for me, whilst still being alright for doing faster rollbacks and the like without getting annihilated.

22:14 for me, but i might try 22:15. Kinda off topic but, is it true you should run a double wheel tensioner for a rear sprocket less than 15t?

Eerm, the only reason I can think of that being true is to give better chain wrap.

22:14 is quite manly, how far can you static gap with that? lol

Yet that's what the Ashton Effect comes with... go figure.

Yet that's what the Ashton Effect comes with... go figure.

And thats exactly what im riding haha. It comes with a 13t sprocket but i changed it for a 14t because the chain was skipping. Would moving the tensioner to push 'up' on the chain give better wrap and prevent skipping?