24" Gearing

crispyboy

Hey,

Just had a thought might sell my bmx and get a 24" but i would need a way of getting around aswell.

How hard are the gearings normally on a 24" ?

Does anyone use one up there local skatepark and do tricks and stunts like bmx stuff ?

18:14 and i use it to cycle to/from work (3miles) 3 or 4 times a week. it isnt great and adds 1omins+ to a normal cycle journey but its do-able.

im pretty sure that is a standard ratio too, its great for street and i can imagine its ideal for the skate park.

I reckon:

If you wanna ride trials: 18:14

If you want some more speed for streety stuff: 18:13

I've got to disagree, whilst it is was what i previously thought. 18:14 for trials.....yes, but for more speed/streetier stuff whilst still being able to do trials, i think 18:12. My Inspired is 18:13 and i find it too spinny for street and its plenty easy for trials so it needs to be a bit tougher, hence 18:12.

Top is pure ratio, bottom is converted to gear inches for 24" wheels.

Yellow for trials, orange for a bit streetier

Left of the orange will be a harder gear, right of the yellows lighter.

Most people will plump for one of those highlighted, but there will always be people going outside of those (though generally only by a single tooth or so)

post-5821-126806481593_thumb.png

22:14 for me, but i might try 22:15. Kinda off topic but, is it true you should run a double wheel tensioner for a rear sprocket less than 15t?

Eerm, the only reason I can think of that being true is to give better chain wrap.

22:14 is quite manly, how far can you static gap with that? lol

22:14 for me, but i might try 22:15. Kinda off topic but, is it true you should run a double wheel tensioner for a rear sprocket less than 15t?

Only if you're not getting enough wrap without one - on my Inspired with 18:13 there was only a tiny amount of slack in the chain so a 74kingz did me proud, but on 18:14 there was considerably more and so the kingz didn't provide the same tension without losing some wrap around the rear cog - if this was worse then it can lead to skipping which a double wheeled tensioner (Rohloff etc) can help to prevent (Y)