If You Could Travel Back In Time Would You Steal An Idea/Invention?

Davetrials

The internet!

I saw a program the other week about how the internet came about, and how the founder gave it away for everybody to use. it is worth more than any other product ever!!!

why would you give it away for free :S

It was never a product to sell and it could never be owned by a single entity, otherwise it just wouldn't really function how it does now. The original basis for 'the internet' was sharing data for efficiently.

If it were owned by a single company, it would mean you have to pay that company for a connection and a website. Which no one would have ever bought into. Allowing it to be free meant that it could be added to, edited and developed into what we have today.

Fortunately its a good example of where greed wasn't an issue and allowed something to flurish.

Mine would be the Monopoly board game.

youd be f**ked if it was 1980 and you went to make an ipod touch

Exactly. Using the ipod as an example, it could only be made with heavy dependance on other technologies. It's probably easier than ever to 'invent' something as we can do pretty much anything with any material, and also develop things futher.

The difficult bit is finding something that doesn't have a patent. It seems copyrights are preventing us from excelling in the technology field.

not only is it dependant on other technologies, its heavily reliant on the 'inventor' to be as clued up on how the intricate parts work...and not just have the idea of the concept itself.

personally, id have gone back repeatedly to each time there was some 'prophet' with some idea that they were the chosen one...steal their idea, soon after...let my new 'following' know that it was just a bit of a brainwash (id apologise) with some sleight of hand tricks...everythings forgotten within a few weeks, job done.

Edited by chris4stars

Ideas and inventions don't work unless you understand them and are willing to develop them. If you wanted to "steal" the Microsoft idea, chances are you'd make a big hash out of it. Companies which have succeeded in such an extent are based around a vision and understanding of that vision. Personally I'd go with duct tape or the Ring Drive mechanism if we're talking about small inventions.