Even More Updated Echo 24"

Mark W

Looks nice. Mark, i always wondered how come you and Stan ride Echo Urbans? I always thought you were an anti-Deng fanatic back in the day and really rooting for Inspired. I wouldve thought you;d be riding a Fourplay maybe? Same with Stan? Money going to Deng rather than Dave :P

How would you compare riding street on a 24 inch trials bike compared to a BMX? Is it all down to the stem on 24s? Im thinking of building up a TGS inspired maybe, and maybe just swap stems if i wanna go street.

Looks nice. Mark, i always wondered how come you and Stan ride Echo Urbans? I always thought you were an anti-Deng fanatic back in the day and really rooting for Inspired. I wouldve thought you;d be riding a Fourplay maybe? Same with Stan? Money going to Deng rather than Dave :P

How would you compare riding street on a 24 inch trials bike compared to a BMX? Is it all down to the stem on 24s? Im thinking of building up a TGS inspired maybe, and maybe just swap stems if i wanna go street.

I'd like to be running an Inspired, but I got made an offer I couldn't refuse with the Urban frame. It rides really nicely too, so no real issue with it, although I would prefer to be helping Dave and Jon out more. Still running their forks and bars and so on, and they're awesome (Y) Not really been anti-Deng either, just anti-shit-components which they seemed to produce a few of before. Now, Deng's product range is pretty awesome from top to bottom. My SL freewheel feels like the best one out there, my TR platforms feel like the best platforms out there, etc. - they just make great stuff now. It's all good (Y)

Regarding the 24/BMX comparison - it rides quite similarly to my BMX 'cos I've got quite a high and short front end on it, but it doesn't spin and hop quite as easily as my BMX does. It's almost there, but I'm always aware the wheels are bigger when I'm trying to bail out of stuff. Hop 3s were really easy on my BMX, but I'm yet to really get them properly on this, at least not tucked-up properly. Can do a tyre-tap 3, but it's not the same :P

Stem's the clincher though - if you've got the option of chopping and changing, it should be fine (Y) Tyre pressure helps a lot too though...

True! I got this bike because I wanted a bike that was between my BMX and my trials bike, so I could do BMXy moves on places where I couldn't do them on my BMX ('cos you'd have to do trialsy moves to get to that obstacle), and vice versa. It's a nice compromise, and it feels like it's nicely in the middle without being shit at both :)

'cos I've got 18:14 and I'm shit and don't put my wheel in straight (the wheel doesn't sit fully in the dropouts 'cos the chain's still stretching out), it's slightly on the piss so I have to have my seat raised fractionally. I'm also a basher who builds shit wheels which doesn't help, haha. Up 'n' daaaahn egg-age, not convenient.

Operation: DiscMountDoOne is waiting for another day, we're tired and need to go home.

I don't want to fall into the trap of just doing TGSy shit on a 24 with a bonus manual here and there, basically. When I had a brake on it, it felt like I just reverted back to 'easy' standard trialsy stuff rather than doing something new, and it's just too much fun riding without brakes! I've learnt so much about riding in general in terms of what you can get away with, how your bike works when you're doing moves and how you can use your body positioning better, and I've come up with some new stuff too. Natural brakeless is also potentially the most rewarding thing ever, behind maybe brain surgery or something like that. It's just so good. I don't really see myself putting a brake back on, so I'm thinking of just going the whole way. It looks infinitely better now I've cut the mounts off, so it can only really get better :P

If I want to get all 'proper' trials, I've still got my mod anyway :)

Stan's bike has the luxury of traveling in a car to itself, Mark's bike gets battered against my pedals and stuff when we get the bikes in and out of the car. It would be cool if it was green or something but the paint wouldn't last long.

So do you think your breakless riding has had a positive effect on brakefull riding?

...if brakefull is even a word.

speaking only for myself - yes very positive. Everything you do has to be done cleaner. My taps got a load better, bunnyhops too. I think it generally just tightens up your techniques on everything as you have to concentrate a lot more on achieving perfect body position - especially on moves on the rear wheel!!!

Above all for me - it got me enjoying bikes more than I had done in years, and that has continued into trying new things on the braked bike, and a generally move positive approach !!