New Chain, Recommendations?

Alex Dark

Basically.....I've got a k710 kool at the moment, and was looking for a replacement as I've had this one for a bout a year now. According to loads of fixie websites the only reason chains break is where they are joined?

Sooo, has anyone got any decent recommendations? I was thinking another kool chain or a KMC z610 hx. Does anyone know if the Z610 RB is any different to the HX apart from the rust proof coating?

Cheers , Alex

Split links are dangerous, they're the weak link of the chain. :P

Aye Z610 though, I've only snapped one and it's fecked, it was on the Kot for around 8 months and the Simtra for 6, just replaced the link and just got round to ordering a new one, the old one is fecked.

muel you tart. If there so weak how come there used on all motorcycles with drive chains? :)

Cos they aren't the same as the ones on MTB chains :P

In my experience the Z610HX is awesome, the RB version isn't 'stretch proof' and won't last nearly as long.

You can't moan about a chain being heavy if you're looking for strength, that's just retarded.

Why not get the same chain if it's lasted a year without problems? After all a year is a long time.

710 and 810 chains stretch quite a lot, so they can muller your drivetrain a bit more if you're not using a good sprocket and freewheel. On the other hand, 610s and 510s seem fairly stretchproof so you don't have to worry about them as much. It's pretty much the reason that although they're technically weaker than the 710 and 810s in terms of the loads they can take, they stretch less so they last longer.

With split links, I wouldn't say they're the weakest part of your chain - I use them on my BMX with a variety of chains and I've never snapped one. I've torn links apart before, but not broken a split link. I know it's not trials exactly, but I crank around pretty hard and have a smaller rear driver than on my trials bike so it's effectively taking more load per link when I'm pedalling hard.

Anyways - Trialtech Lite - high quality chain, good weight, doesn't stretch, doesn't develop stiff links, won't rape your drivetrain. Ideal (Y)

I'm going to give another vote to the Z610. I got a new one a couple of weeks ago and after the first ride I could move my wheel back in the dropouts to where it was with a worn in Z610. So that's not a lot of stretching that it's done.