Da Rulez! On Reflectors And Bells And Stuff Please

ogre

got hassled yesterday by some over opinionated members of the public about riding, what are the rules about reflectors and bells? i was under the belief that bikes had to be sold with them, but they didn't need them to stay on?

Correct. They literally only need to be on when the bike gets sold, after that if you've got a means of audibly warning people (if you have a mouth, you win), you should be fine. You're supposed to have reflectors on for safety reasons, but I don't think they're a legal necessity, only lights are. On pedals that don't come with reflectors mounted to them they have to say on the box 'Only for daylight use', but that's about it.

Most overopinionated members of the public are just talking shit, so feel free to just talk shit back to them I guess. If people aren't bothering to use the truth to back up their arguements, you probably don't need to either.

usual practise for most of them, bit wierd when a guy full on stopped me in the street, puts his hands on my bars to stop me moving off and tells me he's going to have to arrest me for it (i shit you not) wasn't even with the bacon, i wasn't impressed

usual practise for most of them, bit wierd when a guy full on stopped me in the street, puts his hands on my bars to stop me moving off and tells me he's going to have to arrest me for it (i shit you not) wasn't even with the bacon, i wasn't impressed

Out of interest, what did you do?

i was riding down a path dragging my brake to clear it (loud, but not ridiculously volume-tastic) i wasn't really trialsing it up and being a dick.

pth wasn't crowded and there was shitloads of room, before you think i'm trying to cut this guy off.

Edited by ogre

To be fair, loud brakes are really f**king annoying :P You wanna get yerself a disc, maaaaate.

But nah, it does sound like matey went a bit OTT. If people really have that little going on in their lives they've got to try and utilise some fictional power of arrest they don't have they should probably re-assess their current situation, and try and work out where it went so wrong...

got a disc obm ;) i'd just turned around to try something (but i hadn't leant into it i was just stationary) then he approached me so i got off the pedals etc, i think he was bored etc. he didn't even mention me trialsing on anything, i doubt he'd have seen me do anything. meh

also curious, where would i stand if i clocked him for grabbing my bike assuming he was gunna nick it?

this link has all the info on any bike related law!! to much to write but intresting stuff (Y)

http://www.bikeforall.net/content/cycling_and_the_law.php

got a disc obm ;) i'd just turned around to try something (but i hadn't leant into it i was just stationary) then he approached me so i got off the pedals etc, i think he was bored etc. he didn't even mention me trialsing on anything, i doubt he'd have seen me do anything. meh

also curious, where would i stand if i clocked him for grabbing my bike assuming he was gunna nick it?

assult!!! This goverment is twisted :angry:

Should have nutted him on the basis that he'd grabbed your bike and was probably gonna nick it.

Then sell your story to The Sun, I can see it now, Police no longer required after brave cyclist tackles 7ft 18st mugger!

Edited by isitafox

I had a similar account a while back.

Was riding in town when some random bloke (about 50-60yrs old) stopped me claiming he was putting me under citizens arrest and taking me to the police station.

Luckily, after only going over the necessary grounds for citizens arrest earlier that day at college i openned a can of leagl jargon on his ass and he walked off muttering under his breath, thouroughly pissed off he just got owned by a 19yr old 'scally' jumping around on a push bike. ha

I had a similar account a while back.

Was riding in town when some random bloke (about 50-60yrs old) stopped me claiming he was putting me under citizens arrest and taking me to the police station.

Luckily, after only going over the necessary grounds for citizens arrest earlier that day at college i openned a can of leagl jargon on his ass and he walked off muttering under his breath, thouroughly pissed off he just got owned by a 19yr old 'scally' jumping around on a push bike. ha

I'd have dropped him aswell!!