My Heavy Tools Trials Rebuild

isitafox

No, cantilever brakes count, using your 2nd chainring as a bashguard counts, having a 1996 peugeot energy 300 as your first "trials bike" counts. Nothing this millenium counts.

Too right, remember snipping the teeth of my middle chainring to use as makeshift bashguard until my dads mate could make me summat out of stainless! Still got it as well I think in ma dads garage, gonna have a look tomorrow night when I finish work.

He made me a bashring for using smallest chainring and one for using middle as well for when I was riding quite far!

Was this around Chapel? Think I remember seeing you guys somewhere... Ever ride New Mills?

Yeah that prob was us, round about 98/99. Used to ride a lot in Whaley as thats where 3 of my mates lived and my cousin lived in New Mills so used to bod about round there an down the Torrs!

Saracen X-ile for me, built with whatever shit I could find for cheap as hell at The Bike Show, including £5 bars, £20 rear wheel, Powerpro's (of course) etc.

I found an old mavic wheel in my mates shed he said I could have, lasted bout 2 days before I pretzelled it sidehopping off a 5ft wall so I took the STX-RC hub an had it built into a new wheel! Proper budgeteering!!

Edited by isitafox

Weren't they the exact same as DDG Shooter frames, just rebranded and more expensive? I'm sure I remember comparing two friends and coming to that conclusion.

Am i right in thinking you mean dean the beans Ultimate hardware? Which was near enough the same as my shooter but shit loads over priced.

Hah wow as i think about does days i remember that i have used my second front chain ring as a bash ring. I remember that i always end the day with a punch tire hahaha it was quality fun!

Remember before we snapped all the teeth off we used to half pedal onto picnic tables, sticking the teeth into the end of the table and just pedal up onto the top, was awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've managed to blag £140 in vouchers and cash for my bday so the big order for the remaining bits should be goin in on Wednesday hopefully.

Whilst it is an old school frame it ain't an old school build, my plans are the following, bearing in mind I'm trying to keep costs relatively low;

B/B - Try All ISIS £52

Cranks - Trialtech Sport Forged £50

Pedals - Trialtech Race Platform £25

Freewheel - Echo SL 108 £60

Chain - Trialtech Lite Z610 £14

Chain Tensioner - Try All single speed £35

Bashring - Either Because CNC or Echo 7075 £20

Total £256, will possibly stretch to £270 if people suggest something other than whats listed.

Any suggestions to other items at around the same prices from anyone or advice on stuff I listed that people have or have had is appreciated.

B/B, cranks, freewheel an bashring are what I'll get if they will all fit together on my frame!

Advice/comments??

Well I've managed to blag £140 in vouchers and cash for my bday so the big order for the remaining bits should be goin in on Wednesday hopefully.

Whilst it is an old school frame it ain't an old school build, my plans are the following, bearing in mind I'm trying to keep costs relatively low;

B/B - Try All ISIS £52

Cranks - Trialtech Sport Forged £50

Pedals - Trialtech Race Platform £25

Freewheel - Echo SL 108 £60

Chain - Trialtech Lite Z610 £14

Chain Tensioner - Try All single speed £35

Bashring - Either Because CNC or Echo 7075 £20

Total £256, will possibly stretch to £270 if people suggest something other than whats listed.

Any suggestions to other items at around the same prices from anyone or advice on stuff I listed that people have or have had is appreciated.

B/B, cranks, freewheel an bashring are what I'll get if they will all fit together on my frame!

Advice/comments??

Ordered, hopefully be here tomorrow so I can get it all built up by the weekend an get some pics up!

Finally finished!

Full spec is:

Heavy Tools Trials Frame

Unbranded forks

Echo TR hubs and rims

Specialized stem

Azonic World Force riser bars

FSA headset

Hope mono mini front disc

HS33 rear rim brake

Tensile offset magura mounts

Magura Evo2 mount kit

Inspired grips

Try All ISIS B/B

Trialtech Sport Forged cranks

Trialtech Race Platform pedals

Echo SL 108 freewheel

Trialtech Lite Z610 chain

Try All single speed tensioner

Because CNC bashring

IRC Kujo on back and El Gato on front

Think thats it, pics!

SDC10688.jpg

SDC10689.jpg

SDC10685.jpg

SDC10687.jpg

SDC10683.jpg

Think I may soon go for some different bars and a higher longer stem!

I know what your sayin, it's cause the frames so old it's still quite a lot bigger than normal trials frames, think the official size is about 14.75".

To be honest I secretly wanna break it now so I've got a good excuse to buy a proper trials frame!

• 2 months later...

I know what your sayin, it's cause the frames so old it's still quite a lot bigger than normal trials frames, think the official size is about 14.75".

To be honest I secretly wanna break it now so I've got a good excuse to buy a proper trials frame!

i brought my onza t-rex frame (brand new) off ebay for 80 squid inc delivery, cheap as chips lol

don't break it though retro is cool

Can we have a video?

Done a bit more today and yesterday so will get them posted, not brilliant but I can feel myself improving! Need to as well as I'm 27 now so my body starting to degrade!!!

Vids are here and pics here!

Edited by isitafox

• 3 months later...

Big respect for building up the HT! Looks sweet. I had one "back in the day" i remember going to mbuk/bike exhibition in earls court? in 1999 and getting one in sky blue just like that!

Coming from riding trials in the mid 90's with canti's and a Kona cindecone (steel) in small and a mate had a zaskar/avalanche in small etc. the way we had to learn was totally different...

I got another frame a few years back (previously owned by Luke - TritonBikes) and built it up from scratch. It was sweet.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/659354/

Then it kinda evolved...

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1139420/

Then i put the frame away as i wasnt using it for trials.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5264699&l=e7b9386842&id=695291898

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5264700&l=7a11dade99&id=695291898

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5264701&l=7e8b939b22&id=695291898

I even put the pace forks on my hardtail, but the BB is just that bit too low!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5295012&l=3d540e2a20&id=695291898

Hopefully i get the time/money/space to build up the HT. Its like a phoenix, rising from the ashes.....