Motorbike Trials.

Luke_zoo

If you're 18, definately get a 250 at least I say! It's easy to learn on a more powerful trials bike, just don't open the throttle as far. :P

I do love you muel :)

I started on an yamaha ty250 mono (same as muels) and soon found its limit. Then a montesa 315r. Now i canot recomend this or a beta techno enough. There brilliant bikes for beginers and cheep spares on ebay too.

The montesa/honda engine will NEVER go wrong.

Your's was one of them shitty TY250S things wasnt it? :P

I had one, my brother has it now, the R I now have is better in almost every way, they have better suspension (front and rear), different frame, tank, seat, cylinder head.

I'll be sticking with my R anyway, it's nice and strong and I don't find the weight to be a problem now I've had one for 6 years. :P (Well 5 and a half).

See there's the added bonus of a Yam, it doesn't break when you drop it. :P

I've had my current one for 3.4 years, I've broken one front brake lever and bent the rear brake lever, and that's it! Worn out several rear tyres in that time aswell and I tend to drop it a couple of times a ride.

Meh I've been trying modern bikes for 6 years now, if I can't get on with them now I never will. :P Weight placement feels perfect on a TY mono to me aswell, modern stuff feelslike the weight is too far back to me.

I just don't really like them apart from the 4RT, the wheelbase just feels to short on all the Betas and especially GasGas's I've ridden. Not keen on steep head angles either.

Basicly, if your under 18 you want a 125. This is because the acu have age restrictions on bike capacities.

Gasgas - feel short, rev well but have there draw backs. The reward good maintainence with a long life, however poor maintainence will be punished by the poor build quality. My mate has recently bought a 2010, and in every ride for about 6 rides something has gone wrong.

Sherco- Feel very similar to the gasgas. Bit more tourqy, and slightly better build quality of the two. Rev well but still must be maintained.

Beta (my bike of choice)- I have a 2007 model and find it lovely. They feel much longer Imo than the other two and grip very well. They do require maintainence like any bike, however the bare minimum should get you by...

Mine revs very well, and IMO revs better, has more touqe, and top end than my mates 2007 gasgas. Change the oil reguraly and it will last you years.

Rev-3's have always been good bikes for beginers and experts.

Max

I thought it was 16 that you could ride a 250cc or over?, couldn't agree more though the Beta's are superb bikes, i got an Evo 290 & it's superb, after owning a gasser 125 & 300, the beta is a lot better, more reliable, doesn't break down every week, easier to ride than the 300, try & get a few more test rides on some if you, can see what you prefer.

Muel, you had a go on a TRW ex team bike, who's was it?

I rode trials for 12 years and also competed; I mostly rode a Montesa and found that whilst it was the heaviest of the bikes, you could still learn a lot about it.

For a beginner, I'd recommend a Gas Gas; they're pretty lightweight and nice to ride, anything 2001 onwards really...but depends completely on your budget. The older bikes are now starting to show their age and you could end up spending a lot of money on bust components; just make sure you get something well looked after. As a rule, I used to check the air filter on a bike for sale - it's a basic maintenance requirement, but the condition will often show you if the bike was well looked after...if they didn't bother doing the air filter, they probably didn't bother doing anything else.

Ask for maintenance reciepts, oil changes, air filter, wheel bearings, suspension oil and bearings, rear suspension bearings, brake pads - some bikes appeal by looks, but can run like a sack of shit.

Learning the basics is pretty easy - but first of all you need to learn to ride the bike and learn how it reacts. Regardless of all the information above, you don't need to be overly concerned by the bike being underpowered. Just get used to riding in the first place...trials bikes don't handle like any other bike and if you don't learn how it reacts, you could end up doing some damage; I've seen it happen a lot of times.

As regards engines; I'd recommend a 250 for financial reasons - depending completely on your abilty to learn new skills, if you learn quickly you could find yourself in a position where you wish you had that little extra boost. It's certainly better to have a bit extra than a bit less.

I don't agree at all with the 'beta are shit' or 'gas gas are shit' comments - all are equally good, however some cater more for a certain style of riding, you don't know what that is yet so I suggested a gas gas as they're popular, lightweight and easy to handle.

I don't agree at all with the 'beta are shit' or 'gas gas are shit' comments - all are equally good

Nail on the head. The thing I hate most about the sport is people saying how shit one bike is compared to their bike. It really is boring now.

Motorcycle trials is full of spoilt little brats - one of the very reasons I stopped competing.

Depends which club and events you do, I also find that riding an older bike and wearing jeans, they never talk to you. :P

I really hate them though, there's one lad who's Dad is one of them wankers that clean their bikes for them and run in front of them through each section, and whenever I see him when we're practicing he has to try everything I do. Not being all dramatic either, this has been going on for about 3 years, if I'm trying a big step, he starts doing it aswell, yet he's never spoken a word to me. :S

Depends which club and events you do, I also find that riding an older bike and wearing jeans, they never talk to you. :P

I really hate them though, there's one lad who's Dad is one of them wankers that clean their bikes for them and run in front of them through each section, and whenever I see him when we're practicing he has to try everything I do. Not being all dramatic either, this has been going on for about 3 years, if I'm trying a big step, he starts doing it aswell, yet he's never spoken a word to me. :S

Make a model of yourself, and somehow ride your bike with said model over a gorge thats ever so slightly to big?

Only an option if you A. have two bikes. B. can make it look like his fault?

Normally I'll just go somewhere else if he starts it, or go and see how far I can wheelie up the road. He might be able to do the trials stuff but his little 125 can't wheelie for shit. :P

Ha ha. Just stare at him and see what he does, follow him and stare.

Your's was one of them shitty TY250S things wasnt it? :P

I had one, my brother has it now, the R I now have is better in almost every way, they have better suspension (front and rear), different frame, tank, seat, cylinder head.

I'll be sticking with my R anyway, it's nice and strong and I don't find the weight to be a problem now I've had one for 6 years. :P (Well 5 and a half).

Muel, you know i had an R! Silly boy! I learnt so much on that bike. I would reccomend anyone getting one to learn to ride a trials bike. Loads differnt to a modern bike, but much more fun!

Ahhhh, your's will have been an 84-87? The red framed ones?

Still can't source a 350 engine for mine. Haven't tried very hard though. :P I got one quote for £600 for the engine if they could find and import a 350 from Japan and split it. Hmmmm...... I'd pay £300 for one maybe, they sell 250 engines there for £200.

Ahhhh, your's will have been an 84-87? The red framed ones?

Still can't source a 350 engine for mine. Haven't tried very hard though. :P I got one quote for £600 for the engine if they could find and import a 350 from Japan and split it. Hmmmm...... I'd pay £300 for one maybe, they sell 250 engines there for £200.

she was an "88" model with the red frame. I wouldnt bother with a 350 engine unless your going to keep the bike forever :P There ment to be pretty slugish, however because there as rare as hen's teeth, it will be worth a bob or two in the future :)