Motorbike Trials.

Luke_zoo

Hey,

I have been looking into getting a motor trials for ages! I've got the money to buy one, Just need help with makes and how they ride?

I dont want to buy a make that will allways brake down when going out on it.

I'd have a 125cc or 250cc not fussed on the cc rage for 125's and up.

Any videos of riding them?

Whats the basic stuff you learn on them other then experiance from riding bike trials.

Help please.

Cheers,

LUke.

gasgas's are put together by a blind man who's spilt all the different bolts and stuff on the floor the build quality is poor to say the least but tbf reasonably cheap and light. They lack the torque that is given by beta or montessa but for the more trick type of riding as in going over logs and the like they are the prefered bike.

Alot of people have problems with the newer gas gas's like the pro's because they are built with competition in mind and favour lightness instead of durability imo. though alot of young riders swear by them.

i personally ride a gasgas txt 200 (which isnt a 200 it's a 165 =p) and i've never had any problems with it it's utterly bomb proof but i love the feel of the fourstrokes especially the beta and if you have the cash then thats the bike you want because let's face it two stroke are dying out and the quality of build and performance you get from these four strokes just can't be topped by twostrokes.

Hit me up on msn dude, jamiehail@hotmail.co.uk

National level rider with Sherco.

Have done,

I've ridden a gas gas 250 liked the power but I do know the 125's have not got power like the 250 will have.

I've always found gasgas to be really good beginner bikes.. also i'd get a 250cc over a 125cc as the 125's are gutless but if you are planning on entering trial comps get a 125 (Y)

250's will have more power than the 125's but will be more heavy?

250's will have more power than the 125's but will be more heavy?

I have both a 125 and 250 and i can't honestly say that i can feel the diffrence really in weight between them. The only real diffrence I can tell is the power they both have, 250 has really quick and snappy responce in compasision to the 125.

Would you be looking for a 2stoke or a 4stroke bike also ?

I have both a 125 and 250 and i can't honestly say that i can feel the diffrence really in weight between them. The only real diffrence I can tell is the power they both have, 250 has really quick and snappy responce in compasision to the 125.

Would you be looking for a 2stoke or a 4stroke bike also ?

would like a 4stroke, not fussed if it had to be a 2stroke.

4stokes are dificult to ride coming from a 2stroke bike i found. I still cant ride my bike like I usto be able to. But its a hill climbing beast :P

If you've got the money... Go for 4stoke you wont regret it. Do you ride a bike currently or not ?

Have no got one at the moment but have been riding my mates gas gas 250.

Basicly, if your under 18 you want a 125. This is because the acu have age restrictions on bike capacities.

Gasgas - feel short, rev well but have there draw backs. The reward good maintainence with a long life, however poor maintainence will be punished by the poor build quality. My mate has recently bought a 2010, and in every ride for about 6 rides something has gone wrong.

Sherco- Feel very similar to the gasgas. Bit more tourqy, and slightly better build quality of the two. Rev well but still must be maintained.

Beta (my bike of choice)- I have a 2007 model and find it lovely. They feel much longer Imo than the other two and grip very well. They do require maintainence like any bike, however the bare minimum should get you by...

Mine revs very well, and IMO revs better, has more touqe, and top end than my mates 2007 gasgas. Change the oil reguraly and it will last you years.

Rev-3's have always been good bikes for beginers and experts.

Max

Do people really take notice of the 125 rule? We just used to write down 125 on the sheet. :P (Back int day when no-one cared).

Is it 18 now? So that means you could be a 200lb 17 year old national level rider and still be on a 125? Last time I had a go on a GasGas 200 it had less torque than my old TY, so these 125s must be useless unless they've been revolutionised since 2004. :P

hi,

I have been doing motor trials for about 2 - 3 years now and we need to get one thing straight.

Lots of people (the cool kids) think that having a higher cc engine is better and so much cooler.

Well it isn't (maybe in moto-x) trials is not about speed, it is about balance, skill, no-fear and the passion of being a trial rider.

You should go for a 125cc only because it is not too powerful and it is alot lighter.

Gas Gas tend to need fixing alot, but they are a good bike.

Do not spend too much money on your first bike, when you first start you should not care what your bike looks like until you get better.

Go on Youtube and watch videos of the top riders:

Dougie Lampkin

Toni Bou

Adam Raga

Albert Cabestany

Alexz Wigg

James Fry

All of those riders are really good and there are more out there.

So if you need anymore help then just say so :D

As said, exactly how old are you and do you have much experience on a bike? If you are younger than 18 or have little experience while being relatively light yourself I very much recommend getting yourself a 125 as there are the age restrictions and I believe you are better off learning on a smaller bike at first.

I have only ever owned sherco's in my past, I've had an 05, 06, 08 and soon an 010 :D But my experience is that recent gas gas models are nice to ride etc and the same with the new beta evos but I have and most likely in future will stick with sherco as I think they are the best of the bunch imo for the 125s.

I actually have my 08 sherco 125 for sale atm as I'll be taking delivery of my 010 shortly.

What is your budget?

EDIT: check this monster out (Y)http://www.photobysergio.fr/bou-santa-perpetua-video.html

Edited by Duncy H

Do people really take notice of the 125 rule? We just used to write down 125 on the sheet. :P (Back int day when no-one cared).

Is it 18 now? So that means you could be a 200lb 17 year old national level rider and still be on a 125? Last time I had a go on a GasGas 200 it had less torque than my old TY, so these 125s must be useless unless they've been revolutionised since 2004. :P

Muel, 125's have changed loads since 2004! ive always said 200's where just crap anyway lol

Im 16, weigh 13 stone and am 5ft 11. My 07 beta can get me around an expert grade trial.

Yes i do understand where everyone else is comming from about 250's but you will learn soo much more on a 125.

I learnt on a Gas Gas JTX 200 and they are a very good bike!

They are not quite as quick as a 250, but they build up you skill so much more for starting off. I wouldnt recomend a 250 straight away.

I have also had two Montessa Cota 315's (250cc). They are a very, very neat bike, they have a tighter turning circle than a lot of the others and are very quick straight off.

I also have had a 2003 Scorpa 250R, that was an AWSOME bike to own, EXTREMELY reliable, only ever had to replace one thing on it. Such smooth power and also very powerful. Also they look so good! Plus you can get a long ride kit for doing trail rides on.

All the weight between them is not that much of a difference.

For starting off on, I definatly recomend a Gas Gas TXT 200 or a Gas Gas JTX 165 (which is just an older TXT).

I would stray away from Sherco, they are a bit concerning.

i love the feel of the fourstrokes especially the beta and if you have the cash then thats the bike you want because let's face it two stroke are dying out and the quality of build and performance you get from these four strokes just can't be topped by twostrokes.

I find that the 4RT sounds horrible, Ive never ridden one, but you have to rev them so much higher to get a response from them.Plus they have more moving parts so they are heavier and can break down easier. And cost more.

:)

I find that the 4RT sounds horrible, Ive never ridden one, but you have to rev them so much higher to get a response from them.Plus they have more moving parts so they are heavier and can break down easier. And cost more.

i can't remember the noise =/ I jumped straight from my gasgas to his 4rt and it was much more responsive i find on my gasgas you have to wind it up loads to get anything from it. The weight you just can't feel and with the right maintanence they're going to be just as reliable as any other trials bike. and regarding cost, it's worth it.

I've decided to give my bike to my girlfriend to teach her how to ride and look after the bike because it's such a good easy bike to learn on but i dont really like it anymore.

And nobody does the "you must ride a 125" thing unless you are competeting at a certain standard underthat i think aslong as your not on a 600cc monster or something then theyre okay with you writing down 125 and going jumping on a 250. i put a 125 decal on my 200 just incase but that was when i was doing competitions i prefer setting out my own sections now not really into the trials scene.

i can't remember the noise =/ I jumped straight from my gasgas to his 4rt and it was much more responsive i find on my gasgas you have to wind it up loads to get anything from it. The weight you just can't feel and with the right maintanence they're going to be just as reliable as any other trials bike. and regarding cost, it's worth it.

As I said I've never ridden the 4rt. I am interested in riding one now haha.

But they do look and sound better than the older year (2007-8ish) Scorpa SY250F. Not the 2010 ones though. In fact all the new Scorpa's look beautiful! Look!

thats what the guy i go riding moved from he had one of those scorpas and it was a lovely bike but then he switched for some reason. only had a little go on his 4rt but it's lovely amazing torque and power delivery really smooth but can be ridden aggresively.

Muel, 125's have changed loads since 2004! ive always said 200's where just crap anyway lol

Im 16, weigh 13 stone and am 5ft 11. My 07 beta can get me around an expert grade trial.

Yes i do understand where everyone else is comming from about 250's but you will learn soo much more on a 125.

It's only just really clocked that that was 6 years ago. :P

Meh trials bikes always feel underpowered to me, I don't really notice on mine because you expect an 80s aircooled engine to be underpowered, but about a year or so ago I rode my mates brand new 08 250 Beta and it was nothing like as powerful as I expected, it was really smooth so brilliant for slippy stuff, just for big climbs wih the throttle wide it didn't pull like I expected.

I also recently had a go on an ex-TRW team 4RT, which was a bit more like it, if I got a modern bike now it'd have to be one of them. :P Nice and torquey, I took it up the road where we practice and when you opened it up in 4th gear it wheelied under it's own steam, I didn't wack the throttle to the stop either, I just clicked up to 4th and wound it on to about half open and it wheelied. :lol: