Try All 108.9 Freewheel

robotrhys

Hi guys,

My ACS has decided to take early retirement so i am forced to get another freewheel and I fancy an upgrade. I was going to purchase a White Industries eno when i stumbled upon the new Try All 108.9 freewheel, 108 engagment points (engages every 3.3 degrees) and has 9 heat treated prawls layed out in three groups of three. Sounds sensational..

Does anyone own this freewheel or has had the chance to test one out? What are your thoughts?

Peace. (Y)

Edited by robotrhys

As far as I'm aware there are several versions. My mate had two of the original ones which were utter garbage, each one lasted about 2 months. (Started skipping after a few rides, but he ran them until they were dangerous.)

The new ones are improved though apparantly, I don't know what they changed though.

As far as I'm aware there are several versions. My mate had two of the original ones which were utter garbage, each one lasted about 2 months. (Started skipping after a few rides, but he ran them until they were dangerous.)

The new ones are improved though apparantly, I don't know what they changed though.

i had an original on my hydroxx, suprisingly it lasted 1.5 years with me and still going strong with the new owner i did take it apart and clean it though wether that made a difference, with the current try-alls after a couple of months just seem to start skipping, mine did it and alot of my friends do it/did it

Edited by Toby

ENO if you want to live.

I'm surprised, i thought everyone would be backing the Try All! And i thought with 9 prawls it would hardly ever skip lol

Hmm i'm still not sure what to do now, the Try All is on trialsman for £45 which is a good price but if they dont last i'm throwing my money away..

lol and that vid has put me right off haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaxcEZX88qw

Are the echo 108.9s really better than an eno? and what about the tensile 96 click (serviceable parts available), is that any good?

I have the Echo SL 108 click freewheel on my new bike - too early to tell yet if it will last as well as the ENO on the last bike (2 years old and still flawless), but no problems with it so far and it feels very solid. The gear teeth don't seem to be as wide as the ENO, so I'm guessing wear might be more of an issue long term, the ENO is barely showing any.

The Echo is designed for trials specifically, so the lockring is on the side against the crank, so it can't fall off, it comes prelubed with oil rather than grease, so negligible break-in period and no need to squirt oil through it before fitting and a large chunk of the folks at Tarty are running them, so indicators are good so far... The ENO's got very expensive over the last while and with Tarty's confidence in the Echo it didn't seem to make sense to get the ENO.

Also the ENO is a 1.375" thread rather than the standard 1.37", so more likely to strip cranks if you're heavy...

I have the Echo SL 108 click freewheel on my new bike - too early to tell yet if it will last as well as the ENO on the last bike (2 years old and still flawless), but no problems with it so far and it feels very solid. The gear teeth don't seem to be as wide as the ENO, so I'm guessing wear might be more of an issue long term, the ENO is barely showing any.

The Echo is designed for trials specifically, so the lockring is on the side against the crank, so it can't fall off, it comes prelubed with oil rather than grease, so negligible break-in period and no need to squirt oil through it before fitting and a large chunk of the folks at Tarty are running them, so indicators are good so far... The ENO's got very expensive over the last while and with Tarty's confidence in the Echo it didn't seem to make sense to get the ENO.

Also the ENO is a 1.375" thread rather than the standard 1.37", so more likely to strip cranks if you're heavy...

Thanks for your feedback buddy, i think i'm going to go for an eno after having a think about it. I want something long lasting and responsive which the eno can offer me, and the serviceability is also plus. I'm not very good with threads but i'm guessing the 1.375" is the width of the overall thread? I have my eye on an echo team which has a bashplate so i won't have to run a bashring which will mean i'll have more space to accomidate a wider freewheel. Is the stripping of the thread a major issue? I wouldn't have thought that .005 of an inch would cause it to strip the thread :o

I'm surprised, i thought everyone would be backing the Try All! And i thought with 9 prawls it would hardly ever skip lol

A freewheel skipping has nothing to do with the number of pawls.

ENO's are amazing freewheels, they were the first trials specific freewheel to come out, and to date are still in many peoples opinion the best.

ENO's have 2 sets of 3 pawls where the try-all has 3 sets of 3 pawls. This means they have to cram in another 3 pawls meaning that the quality of the pawls and the freewheel as a whole was probably sacrificed. ENO's have the best reputation that's why I personally stick with them.

I was in the exact same position as you are on choosing a new freewheel, Try-all or ENO? Even though the 108 engagements sounded tempting, I decided to buy the ENO as 72 is still a consdiderable amount of engagements and it just seems a more durable freewheel. Of course, if any part should break, Tarty stock all the individual components (Y) enough said really, ENO all the way!

i weigh a 110kg and my eno is holding up great,its been used for a year now,the amount of force ive put through mine and it still as smooth as the day i got it.

if you want to know the force i mean,i can snap brand new kool chains in 10mins of riding,every time.im using a khe collape chain and it seems to last.

Best part with eno is that you can get every seperatly if you did break it.

on another note,try all products is just rubbish so stay away from them.

Eno is known as the more reliable freewheel.

We know it's a very strong freewheel, with high quality material.

I had one for five years of intensive use and it's still working good.

Some skips, like 50 in five years...do the math....

If you don't want to waste money buy one.

The "new" echo can be good, but it hasn't been used enough to say it's as reliable as the eno.

I've had a Try all 108.9 and it was fine for ages. It skipped on me a couple of weeks ago though. I've now bought an echo SL not rode that yet.

You could always buy the echo TR http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?pr...;category_id=16 its only £39 less than half the price for an eno and the same engagements.

Just be aware with an Eno that they aren't at all a 'fit and forget' item. I found with mine I had to service it pretty regularly otherwise it got gunked up and started skipping, then as soon as it starts skipping it canes the springs meaning you need to get a new set of them, too. I just found mine to be a bit too much hassle to really bother with.

At the mo, I'm running an Echo SL and it's yet to skip on me. They just feel really solid - they have a nice, positive sort of click to them unlike the sound that the 108.9's make. It just sounds more solid, and when you spin them by hand you can feel the springs push the pawls up onto the ratchet and move the driveshell a bit, they're that powerful! Because they're that powerful they're also less likely to allow your pawls to skip on the ratchet.

They just feel really solid - they have a nice, positive sort of click to them unlike the sound that the 108.9's make. It just sounds more solid, and when you spin them by hand you can feel the springs push the pawls up onto the ratchet and move the driveshell a bit, they're that powerful! Because they're that powerful they're also less likely to allow your pawls to skip on the ratchet.

sounds good,it will be my next freewheel for sure