March

DrDoom

The fact it's been proposed is sick though, it's a massive disrespect to the soldiers that have died out there and the ones that are out there putting their lives at risk. Yeah, ok that's what they've signed up for but still, I think it's a bit f**ked that they have proposed the march, they call themselves British citizens? Pah.

It sounds heartless, but all soldiers know what they're signing up for - if they were fighting for our country I'd be in support, but they're not. They're fighting a pointless war that we can never win because the enemy is everywhere.

We need to get out of those countries and let them sort themselves out.

To be honest, the worst thing about that is how to organise some form of protest you have to be allowed to by the police. To me, that's a much bigger deal than having to listen to yet another family who appeared to think that by signing up to the army, their relative wasn't likely to be in danger...

EDIT: As a quick question, as this is fundamentally an anti-war march, do you think the millions of people who protested against the war in Iraq were bad people as well? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume no-one started a Facebook group complaining about that.

It sounds heartless, but all soldiers know what they're signing up for - if they were fighting for our country I'd be in support, but they're not. They're fighting a pointless war that we can never win because the enemy is everywhere.

True that, I know I've posted it on here, but I tryed signing on to "protect my country", Iraq has shit all to do with us, if you signed on to protect others then it may be a worthy cause for you.

You'd have to be fairly naive to think that the army is solely going to be performing noble acts? Throughout the history of the army they've been doing things that were pretty shitty to quite a lot of people, and not really fighting for 'good'.

I agree completely.

There will always be an Army, Royal Navy, RAF and other special forces, and they will always do what they are told to by the boss.

Ultimately, if they are trying to find someone to blame, it should be the people that created the war rather than the people fighting it.

I read that news story and I can honestly say it doesn't bother me.

You always see on the news of "the latest person to die at war". I don't want to come across cold hearted but....I don't care. They signed up to the army, they went to war, surprise surprise some UK people died. You never hear of how many Iraq people die. If the UK people expect processions for their dead, whats the problem with Iraq people wanting to do the same?

Unless I missed the point completely and they want a procession for the talibal fighters?

From what I could understand, it was the civilians who've been f**king mullered by the US/UK in Iraq and Afghanistan that they were wanting to honour? Thousands and thousands of innocent people have been killed there by our various armed services, and I think it's them that that group were trying to remember. There've been 245 UK people who've died in the past 8 years there, and there's probably at the very least a hundred times that many innocent people who were caught up in the fighting (or died as a result of fighting taking place), yet when one person from 'here' dies it's big news for days. The Muslim dudes who are planning on protesting are essentially protesting for the end result of the reasons that the anti-war protesters were getting involved before the various wars kicked off.

If by one of 'them' you mean someone other than the f**king retarded wannabe-BNP members who take everything the Daily Mail says as gospel, then yes, I most definitely am.

If by one of 'them' you also mean someone who thinks setting up Facebook groups about shit won't ever achieve anything at all, then yes, I'm also one of 'them' too...

If by one of 'them' you mean someone other than the f**king retarded wannabe-BNP members who take everything the Daily Mail says as gospel, then yes, I most definitely am.

If by one of 'them' you also mean someone who thinks setting up Facebook groups about shit won't ever achieve anything at all, then yes, I'm also one of 'them' too...

I suppose in that case, I'm one of them too.

If they want to honour the Muslims dying in in afghanistan/iraq then do it over there you terrorist slags

If someone invaded your country, killed your Mum, your Dad family etc. And you had access to a small bomb, would you drive at heavily armed resistance, or set it off on ldn underground to make the biggest effect?

Edited by Simpson

not really bothered if they want to hol a protest, i dont care.. but i dont agree with it being held at wooten basset, its an amazing town for how much dedication they have to fallen soliders, lining the street whatever the weather..

they should not hold there march there, but if it goes ahead and they get the same disgusting display as shown months ago holding signs calling the soliders murders, child killer etc would the people of wooten basset get the same punishment that they did, i.e nothing at all

if i was personalluy there when that particular display happened i too would have been one of the people going for their throats

I may be wrong, I may be shot down but here is my opinion...

The armys motto of 'Fighting for your country' is outdated and expired. It worked in the World War because there was something worth fighting for - but they didn't get the welfare and privledges the lads and lasses get now. People don't join the army to fight for their country, they do it for the experience to excel themselves, but there is nothing wrong with that.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the army, I wanted to join myself and although I think the lives lost are completely wasted on this cause, it's difficult to say they're doing a good job there because I don't exactly know what it is they're supposed to be doing there other than curving the drugs trade.

Probably a bad example, but look at Northern Ireland, we've been based there since (I imagine) the Troubles, where 500 British soilders died - although those days were considered to be over in the mid 1980's we remained there on peacekeeping, and talking to people who have been based there, the British Army are not popular in NI. All of which probably was the cause of the bombings in 2008/9.

Similar to Afghanistan, the 'job' is considered to be complete, they're there on peacekeeping which probably causes more trouble than if we left - however thats what the terrorists want, so that won't be happening anytime soon.

But on the subject of the link, it is over hyped, I've seen these facebook groups populated by narrow minded morons who's experience with such matters reaches as far as The Sun 'news' paper.

They have a right to protest against the war, so do you if you wanted to. Whilst I don't fully agree with protesting at such an event, how else are they going to get their voices heard on a level that its taken on board?

Personally, I'm glad I live in a country that you can, within government specified tolerances, speak your mind.

Interesting discussions going on in this thread, it seems that the discussion has split into two paths:

1. The nature of the military

2. Whether this Islamic group should have the right to protest

I won’t go into 1 as there is already enough intelligent comments going on that subject. With regards to 2, has anyone here actually been on the Islam4UK website yet? I'll say a few things after having had a quick look. Mark, with all due respect (which I do for the majority of your comments) I don't agree that you can compare this group to anti war protestors:

We begin by inviting all non-Muslims to Islam, the perfect and most beautiful way of life, a favour from Allah (God) to mankind to take him out of the darkness of worshipping his own desires to the exclusive worship, submission and obedience of Allah alone, without partners and to testify the Messenger-ship of the final Prophet Muhammad (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). We urge you to embrace Islam and save yourselves and your family from the hellfire and not to believe the lies and distortions which the Western media and non-Islamic regimes would have you believe about Muslims and their true intentions. Islam means submission and the Muslim is the one who submits to the will of God in his life. Verily the Messenger Muhammad told us that whoever heard his name from the Jews and Christians and did not believe would be held accountable for that on the day of judgement.

This is from the first couple of paragraphs from an open letter to the families of soldiers lost in Afghanistan. This isn't a group who are concerned with the Human and civil rights of the people of Afghanistan, it's just as spiteful political propaganda, bare in mind this group's main intention is to establish Shariah law in the UK.

I also can't help to notice the ludicrous contradictions within this group's agenda. This is from the section with regards to their march:

The proposed march by members of Islam4UK is however of a very different venture, held not in memory of the occupying and merciless British military, but rather the real war dead who have been shunned by the Western media and general public as they were and continue to be horrifically murdered in the name of Democracy and Freedom - the innocent Muslim men, women and children.

It is quite extraordinary, that with well over 100,000 Muslims killed in Afghanistan in the last 8 years that those military serviceman who have directly or indirectly contributed to their death are paraded as war heroes and moreover honoured for what is ultimately genocide.

Controversial but we believe in a right for free speech in this country. However, with regards to Geert Wilders entering this country to show his controversial film that highlights some of the violent interpretations of the Quran we have:

indeed, how is it that a man who has such a loathsome track record against Islam and the Muslims is permitted in the UK, and his presence is not deemed inflammatory.....our stance towards the vile Geert Wilders stating that as Muslims, "We need to put this dog on a leash."

Also, note the posters "Freedom Can Go To Hell" I do sometimes think these extremist groups should sit down with a cup of tea and decide if they are fighting against free speech with free speech or enjoying the freedom to dismiss freedom, think they have got a bit confused in the message though.

On a serious note, despite these spiteful politically motivated moves, I maintain they should have the right to protest and for the very same reason I defended the decision for Nick Griffin to be allowed on Question Time. I think people seemed to have forgotten the main benefits of Free Speech, it's not just a right that we should be allowed to enjoy for it's own sake, it is a tool and catalyst for democracies. By allowing even spiteful idiots (like Nick Griffin) the chance to speak you also allow them the chance to be challenged and (if they are indeed irrational vile people) they will be ultimately be proven to be morons. If you try and silence them, that’s like trying to put out a fire by pouring petrol on it, it will only give them more grounds and motivation to argue their case across.

Finally, the use for free speech is to allow groups like this the right to a voice and then not challenge their opinions, I fear the growth of cultural relativism has generally silenced too many people who want to stand up for something they ultimately believe is right, but may cause offence so best keep it quiet.