Takeaways

gu trials

hey, was just wondering if you didnt buy a cooker or any food in at home and just lived of takeaways , would it be cheaper or dearer ?

no cooker = no gas or electric to pay for it, no food to buy in to cook on it, no pans to buy to cook in.

a takeaway is like £10 tops and i think that would be cheaper than paying for something to cook at home?

what are your views

Anyone living on noodles and paying more than 9p a packet is a tool.

Also you'd get scurvy.

The 9p ones lack taste, however if i was desperate enough to be surviving on that little money taste wouldn't really come into it.

I can deal with scurvy.

So;

9px3= 27p

27px7=£1.89

£1.89+£3ish for gas and electric= £4.89.

A whole £5.11 to just fritter away, genius!

hey, was just wondering if you didnt buy a cooker or any food in at home and just lived of takeaways , would it be cheaper or dearer ?

no cooker = no gas or electric to pay for it, no food to buy in to cook on it, no pans to buy to cook in.

a takeaway is like £10 tops and i think that would be cheaper than paying for something to cook at home?

what are your views

matty are soo thick ?

I once lived on £10 of food a week. Times were bad.

Possible back in the day, but with how freakishly expensive most food is nowadays, probably a bit harder :P

The 9p ones lack taste, however if i was desperate enough to be surviving on that little money taste wouldn't really come into it.

Pot of stock solves that shit - it last for forever so you can absorb the cost of it over a few weeks. I tried existing on a primarily noodle based diet, but got pissed off 'cos they give you approximately no nutritional value so with riding being done I got knackered almost instantly. Not cool.

Anyways, bearing in mind you'll almost never have to pay the price of a new oven/cooker wherever you live it's not really an accurate question. It'd also be shit in terms of nutrition, and it'd also be no fun at all. Cooking can be pretty enjoyable, and it's nice eating a meal that tastes f**king awesome that you know you cooked from scratch. More variety too!

When things got a tad desperate (waiting for my student loan to come in...) I took to cheap food.

For about three weeks (and this is an average of over that period) I was living on 68 pence of food a day (excluding milk - I forgot to put that in the calculation).

Spent £40 on shopping a few weeks back, bought loads of extravagant stuff like succulent chicken breast, mince beef, battered haddock fillets, tescos finest ice cream etc. Lasted me and the mrs around 2-3 weeks of meals every night with the odd exception of curry night at the local pub and a take away here or there.

Not really anything to compare by, i just wanted all you noodle lot to know that i'm eating tesco's finest ice cream and huge meals with giant yorkshires and gravy every night for just a few quid more than your noodles work out :P

The 9p ones lack taste

Salt

Boyos raid those reduce products aswell, Easily out last a few more days then what the best before or use by dates says.

This man knows where its at, tramps eat from the wheelie bins behind generic foodstore of food that out of date, and they dont die

Ermmmm, hit and miss really.

Although I think take aways can be/are pretty expensive. I eat a lot of chinese which can cost me about £15 a meal - I couldn't afford to do that every day, where as I can go to sainsburys and spend £15 on 'proper' food and make meals for a couple of days.

I think majority factor of living on take aways is simply laziness - I can cook a pasta bake in the same time it takes to deliver a takeaway for complete fraction of the cost - plus its actually hot, nice and homemade.

Spent £40 on shopping a few weeks back, bought loads of extravagant stuff like succulent chicken breast, mince beef, battered haddock fillets, tescos finest ice cream etc. Lasted me and the mrs around 2-3 weeks of meals every night with the odd exception of curry night at the local pub and a take away here or there.

Not really anything to compare by, i just wanted all you noodle lot to know that i'm eating tesco's finest ice cream and huge meals with giant yorkshires and gravy every night for just a few quid more than your noodles work out :P

That is an awesome bit of shopping!

I think as numbers go up it gets cheaper to have takeaways like if there is four of you and only one person is paying (home cooked) it is definately cheaper to buy a takeaway indian than cook one from scratch, discounting the jars of so called 'Korma' and such like.

My weekly food bill for four of us is about £120ish add the electric and it's a bit more but I could quite easily be doing something wrong I have never been good at shopping.

Edited by Matt Vandart