Akmal Shaikh

ogre

If you do shit in someone elses yard you have to face the concequences that they impeed, if not people in law-less countrys would be able to travel the world and commit crimes without fear of repremand. Now I am not saying that this man DESERVES to die, I'm saying that the man commited a crime in a country where the penalty for that crime was either several thousand pounds OR death, he took the risk, he made a mistake and he like everyone else will be punished for that crime as equally as another Chineese citizen would.

Fair... but unfair.

As for the mental health thing, I'm always sceptical about that, if someone is willing to risk there life for herion, then there not mentally stable.

A spokesman for the Chinese embassy in London said Mr Shaikh was found with more than 4kg of heroin, which he said was enough to kill 26,800 people

Death for helping get nearly 27,000 smack heads of our streets? I guess i'm not really seeing the bigger picture, i DO think it's deserved though personally; He knew the consequences before he attempted it surely?!

the story is that he didn't know anything about it, apparently he was mentally disabled and the drug runners took advantage of him with promises of being a big pop star in china, they packed his bags for him and everything (with the drugs included).

Its a bit harsh, I wonder if he managed to pass any info on about the people who set him up before his execution?

Think of it like this - a Chinese guy came over to England and gets caught with 50kg of heroin, then tells the police that he has a condition in which his qi is out of alignment and he needs some urgent aromatherapy. Would you expect a British judge to let him go?

It is a bit harsh, but this whole mental illness thing is (from what I gather) a little bit tenuous anyway - He was never actually diagnosed with anything, the family are just suggesting this after he's been caught red-handed. Secondly, there's a very different attitude to mental illness in the far east - they don't have the same ideas we do. Thirdly, if he was that unwell, surely the British mental health services are culpable in that he managed to slip through the net in this country, and disappear.

I just can't help thinking that this story has much more to do with what our government wants us to think about the Chinese government.

People who carry drugs like that are stupid, and therefore this is just an obscure manifestation of Natural Selection.

In some cases people have packages unknowingly put in their bags but they should be more vigilant. The only 'traffickers' I have sympathy for are those that are completely innocent but fall victim to bribe scams by corrupt airport guards and cops.