Amercian Football

mr ailsbury

Watched American football a few times whilst doing uni work in the middle of the night and it seems like a pretty interesting sport and I enjoyed watching it so i'm going to try and watch it a bit more. Just wondered who else on the forum is into it? what teams do you like etc.

Anyone explain the rules a bit :S From what i've watched its like one team start with the ball and try to gain yards up the field and every time they get tackled play stops and they start again from that point. Then if the other team catch the ball play stops and then they go on the offensive and try to get it back up to the other end....

yeah so who watches :)

Oh yeah and whats the best channel to watch it on and what sort of times? Pretty sure channel 5 won't have the best coverage lol

There is an offensive and defensive team. When one team has the ball the offensive goes on the field and the opposition has there deffensive on. The offensive would usally have really quick wing to throw to to gain ground. And deffensive would have big as guys to hold off the other team. When ever you get tackled you set from there and start again. Its quite a strategic game and they just use lots of different plays.

Also the kicker sits on the side line the whole game untill he has to kick the ball. Thats all he does.

Colts fan right here :)

Followed it for about 6 seasons now

Just watched some highlights of them playing on nfl.com "peyton manning highlights" pretty sick, deffinatly the most exciting plays i've watched so far to be honest

Edited by mr ailsbury

Is this the same American football that they play almost entirely with their hands?

yea, its like an american version of the english game rugby football.

which begs the questions, when the american students took the game back over there with them, why did they feel the need to alter it from the game of rugby.

which begs the questions, when the american students took the game back over there with them, why did they feel the need to alter it from the game of rugby.

Because they are American.

Edited by max-t

I'm a big NFL fan. Skysports has all the coverage of the earlier games, like 5:30pm til like midnight. Channel five's coverage starts at like 1am and goes on for 3 hours or so. I'm a Philadelphia Eagles fan, really like Peyton Manning though (Colts Quarterback) cos he is just a god.

As for the rule explanation, I started doing one but it was getting properly in depth. I'm trying to find this thing I looked through that helped me back in the day. Will edit this if I find it :)

EDIT : Just found it.....

http://coachstilo.nfl.com/exp/

Oh yeah, feel free to hit me up on msn if you want to know anything. I'm generally up watching it so if you are aswell you can ask me as it happens.

Edited by Has anyone seen my shoe?

because the remtards couldnt figure out how it was possible to score if you could only throw backwards....it's tragic.

I have been into it for a long time. I personally am a new england patriots fan. Steve brushei is one of the best line backers in the game.

The rules are pretty straight forward. The offence has 4 attempts to gain 10 yards and the defence has to stop them. If in the 1st attempt they gain 2 yards its "1st and 8" meaning 1st attempt 8 yards to go. If they make 10 yards they start again if they dont the opposistion's offence takes the field and its there turn. Easy enough!

I love it its so violent! I played for a while and you can go kill some one and get away with it! Fun to watch!

Yes! f**k knows where steve came from! Feel a bit of a tit now! Fantastic player though not a big lad by defensive standards but jesus can he hit!

Agreed :)

Bob Sanders (sorry for the colts praising) is another awsome defensive player who is very hard hitting for his size, but he is sadly still injured

Youtube Video ->
">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> Edited by Webber

Anyone up tonight watching it? Eagles are making things difficult for themselves at the moment. Channel 5 coverage starts at 12:45 tonight. Dallas v Washington. Shouldbe good. NFC East rivals. Not that Washington are any good but Dallas need to win to keep up their chances of getting into the playoffs