Laser Cutting Steel Cost?

tomturd

http://www.thelaseredge.co.uk/

http://www.lasercuttingco.com/

http://www.yorkshirelaser.co.uk/

Nowhere seems to give prices, just asks to phone for quotes, which i'd imagine means its somewhat expensive. Is it a necessity that the sheet steel is laser cut. What sort of steel are look looking at. BMS, high carbon steel ect?

I have a laser cutter at work :)

If you can provide the steel (we don't have 4mm in work otherwise I could get you some from there!) and the dxf I can get it cut free.

Jon

4mm was a guess :P Do you know how much you'd normally charge anyway Jon?

I need to do some drawings (and learn autocad by the looks of it)/thinking. The cuts aren't too complex...

I have no idea what we normally charge - the machines are used to cut end plates for motor stators we manufacture, but since it's fairly quiet it get used for foreigners for parts on my car.

I'm not back at work til the new year, but I think it's normally costed on the cutting time + design work - if it's already in dxf format, it's a 5 min job to create a laser program which will give a cutting time.

Is it for a one-off, or a production run you're after? Anything exciting?!

I have no idea what we normally charge - the machines are used to cut end plates for motor stators we manufacture, but since it's fairly quiet it get used for foreigners for parts on my car.

I'm not back at work til the new year, but I think it's normally costed on the cutting time + design work - if it's already in dxf format, it's a 5 min job to create a laser program which will give a cutting time.

Is it for a one-off, or a production run you're after? Anything exciting?!

Hehe, I have no idea. Its really not very exciting.. its basically a bike related tool thats normally fairly expensive, but its also a complex solution (hence the expense) - only bike shops normally have them. The version I want to make is a lot simpler & smaller, probably not quite as good, but would do the job & would be cheap.. I think.

I need to make up a few prototypes, it might not even work :D

My friend is senior programmer at a sheet steel fabricator, their cnc laser is about 50 quid an hour + material I believe, obviously thats full price if you have a handy mate with one ( ;) ) who can push foreigners though then youre sorted. Ive had quite a few bits and pieces made over the years, from sprocket spacer rings on the supermoto to sets of manacle for fancy dress :D

Thicker material obviously takes longer to cut so costs more.

Would depend on how intricate the cuts needed to be I'd guess (i.e. how long the machine will be tied up doing the job). Also if you already have the designs together and code ready to feed into the machine. Afraid I have no idea on cost though.

Dave , that was no help at all was it!

are you going for some record posts thing?

:P

Got a plasma cutter at work like, can do 10mm plate if needs be lol. Depends what shape your doing though. We use a place in chorley called AK Stainless, can find out how much they charge. Actually, place my mate works at has a laser cutter, could also find out off him.