Rear Vee!, Worth It?

Borat

Whats better, vee or magura?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. So, whats your choice?

• Vee
    • Magura

If you're any good with maintenance and setting up of your bike then go for it

I wouldn't say that a vee requires any more knowledge about maintenance or whatever than a magura, personally.

Tension off, set cable, tension up to centre and feel, done. No bleeding, no having to get cylinders perfectly square to the rim/faffing about with multi-part mounts and stuff, just bolt it on and go.

If you're utterly retarded then rule them out, but then if you can't set up a vee reasonably chances are you're too special to sort out a hydraulic brake too :P

The only annoying thing i find with vees is the spacers on the pads, and making the pads hit completely flat, i always end up with 1 side of the pad hitting before the other, and takes me a couple of attemps to get it right, there amazing once right though.

more vee brake forks/frames need to be made.

I wouldn't say that a vee requires any more knowledge about maintenance or whatever than a magura, personally.

Tension off, set cable, tension up to centre and feel, done. No bleeding, no having to get cylinders perfectly square to the rim/faffing about with multi-part mounts and stuff, just bolt it on and go.

If you're utterly retarded then rule them out, but then if you can't set up a vee reasonably chances are you're too special to sort out a hydraulic brake too :P

Luke you have to take into consideration the majority of the forum......

put a booster on and you will be suprised how much better the hold is.

No need, it's spot on as it is :)

more vee brake forks/frames need to be made.

This

Luke you have to take into consideration the majority of the forum......

I present to you, Exhibit A;

takes me a couple of attemps to get it right, there amazing once right though.

A Vee is not a magura, it acts differently

a vee has more modulation and not as much bite as a maggie

a vee has LOTS more hold than a maggie

Yeah those are the most important differences I've found. I found rear V great for comps last year and didn't suffer from any arm pump. I also love the extra modulation for street. It makes you feel a much smoother and stylish rider when you can roll up and over things, without having the brake either bite and stop you dead or squeal like a pig. I think for any rider below expert level maggie will probably be better just for the added confidence a sharp brake gives.

Well, as far as front vee's go, they absolutely OWN maggies.

But i've never had expierence with a rear.

My mate has a rear one and to be honest it's pretty bad but that's without a booster and Onza Lime pads so with a good setup like the one you said Jack should be pretty mint!

Vee's have countless advantages over maggies, most have already been covered me thinks.

Despite all that though, i'm sticking with rear maggies mainly because my magura is freakin' AWESOME and I can't justify buying a whole new brake when my current one is soo good! Always front vee though. :wink2:

You will probably bump into some problems with setting up though because of really wide back rims. The arms on my mates vee are at quite an angle and sometimes his shoe gets caught. Ideally the arms are both parallel pointing up wards when the brakes fully pulled in. But for that you'd have to have like a 32mm back rim. Haha.

If rear vees were better, wouldn't everybody be using them? B)

No because:

A: Most people don't realize how good Vees can be

B: It is more fashionable with the kids to have Maggies.

C: Not enough frames come with a vee option and with adapters you loose advantage

D: You can get clearance issues with Vees that make you wanna kill. See below and also Trye clearance of the cable.

The can be a barstard on the back of a mod due to rim wideness though :(

I ran a v on the back of my monty mod, it was freaking ace :) i was using a dx32 which is narrow by todays standards though.

I bum v brakes, after a few years being utterly appauled by maguras, but convinced thet they were the right choice as everybody else ran them, i decided eventually to stop being a sheep and got a v brake. This was about 5 years ago and since then, my brakes have always been sweet :)

The only annoying thing i find with vees is the spacers on the pads, and making the pads hit completely flat, i always end up with 1 side of the pad hitting before the other

When I used to use V's (and we're talking 10 years ago now although the theory's the same for u-brakes on BMXes) I'd just loosen the pad bolts, pull the brake lever and give the pads a bit of a shake to get them sitting right and then clamp them up while still holding the brake. Provided the whole assembly doesn't rotate in the arms you should be laughing!

I ran a v on the back of my monty mod, it was freaking ace :) i was using a dx32 which is narrow by todays standards though.

I bum v brakes, after a few years being utterly appauled by maguras, but convinced that they were the right choice as everybody else ran them, i decided eventually to stop being a sheep and got a v brake. This was about 5 years ago and since then, my brakes have always been sweet :)

When I used to use V's (and we're talking 10 years ago now although the theory's the same for u-brakes on BMXes) I'd just loosen the pad bolts, pull the brake lever and give the pads a bit of a shake to get them sitting right and then clamp them up while still holding the brake. Provided the whole assembly doesn't rotate in the arms you should be laughing!

+1

I used to love my rear vee on my pure. Was absolutley perfect. The hold was absolutley perfect, it modulated, felt perfect and never really gave me any grief. Thats with SD7Arms, XTR lever and Heatsink Red pads, no booster. I'm tempted to put my vee back on the Ashton and try and get it working right again. Although at the minute I can't say my Maggies been any trouble/performs well.