Barbra

Finally got round to watching this (in 3D). Effects are incredible. Can't even begin to imagine how they went about creating that. First time I've seen a 3D film and I have to say I was rather underwhelmed. Might've been because we were right down the front corner so at a funny angle to the screen but the 3D worked for the most parts but some areas were just blurry and made me start to go cross eyed! I've now got a bit of a headache and don't think I'll be bothering with 3D again. Storyline was good, didn't seem to drag on but... unobtainium? UNOBTAINIUM?! For christs sake. That just annoyed me!

Overall, visually incredible, well thought out and interesting storyline. Not the best film ever for sure but still a landmark film I'd say. But unobtainium?! Come on...

Finally got round to watching this (in 3D). Effects are incredible. Can't even begin to imagine how they went about creating that. First time I've seen a 3D film and I have to say I was rather underwhelmed. Might've been because we were right down the front corner so at a funny angle to the screen but the 3D worked for the most parts but some areas were just blurry and made me start to go cross eyed! I've now got a bit of a headache and don't think I'll be bothering with 3D again. Storyline was good, didn't seem to drag on but... unobtainium? UNOBTAINIUM?! For christs sake. That just annoyed me!

Overall, visually incredible, well thought out and interesting storyline. Not the best film ever for sure but still a landmark film I'd say. But unobtainium?! Come on...

I heard the rock was called unobtanium before seeing the film and it really put me off going :lol:

Went to see it in 3d on Sunday night. We were sat right at the front in the centre and I also was underwhelmed by the 3d. In places it was amazing, in some sections I am fairly sure it was just in 2d, then in others it didn't quite look right. The story line was fairly basic but it worked and also had an interesting outlook on humanity and the way we treat the environment etc... Even though the film was nearly 3 hours long it didn't drag on and it didn't feel like I was in the cinema over 3 hours (including adverts). It was definitely a good experience though and I would consider going to see it again. It would be interesting to now see it in 2d rather than 3d.

Due to more piracy and a huge improvement in home cinema less and less people must be bothering to go to the Cinema so I think the whole 3d thing is going to be done more and more, although I don't know if this is a good or bad thing...

Isn't Unobtainium an Oakley registered trademark? I seem to remember them calling one of their developed materials it yeeeeeears ago.

Ooh, seems it is:

Oakley, Inc. has registered Unobtainium as a US trademark in connection with a hydrophilic rubber compound that has increased grip when wet with perspiration.

Personally I'd vote for one of Kubrick's films to be the best ever.

(Y)

I've not seen Avatar, although and I don't know anyone who has :/ Although I tend to avoid such hype about movies - I just tend to put that down to good marketing rather than a good movie.

Perhaps I may give it a chance at the weekend.

but some areas were just blurry and made me start to go cross eyed!

This is what happens when you look at things that weren't in focus when it was filmed. It's a bit painful cause your eyes try to focus, but they can't.

You get used to it by the end though, or at least I did.

This is what happens when you look at things that weren't in focus when it was filmed.

But a lot of those things were in the background (so wouldn't be in focus) but the 3Dness meant that the difference between the two pictures was way too big so your eyes still see the two separate images rather than the one 3D image. Seems like they should've sorted those sorts of things before release. Although saying that, if you were at the back maybe your eyes would've been able to focus properly so it may well be a function of your position in the theatre... <_<