Latest Hope Tech Lever @ Tartybikes

Rusevelt

One is to adjust the lever, and the other is like a TPA? I think?

and it has two diaphragms, so can be used left or right hand.

In all honesty, they are just a way for hope to make more money; they don't have to produce left/right hand levers, so cheaper manufacturing costs. Also, because the lever is so tech, when bleeding pockets of air get trapped.

And all the people I know who have used them, front and rear, including world class riders, say they are just generally shite, so went back to mono trial levers. And to top it all off, they're more expensive than the original lever, which no one had a problem with. Why upgrade something that doesn't need upgrading?

Waste of money if you ask me

Edited by DannyBazz (:

One is to adjust the lever, and the other is like a TPA? I think?

and it has two diaphragms, so can be used left or right hand.

In all honesty, they are just a way for hope to make more money; they don't have to produce left/right hand levers, so cheaper manufacturing costs. Also, because the lever is so tech, when bleeding pockets of air get trapped.

And all the people I know who have used them, front and rear, including world class riders, say they are just generally shite, so went back to mono trial levers. And to top it all off, they're more expensive than the original lever, which no one had a problem with. Why upgrade something that doesn't need upgrading?

Waste of money if you ask me

because people had problems with them, you cant run them upside down, and the pad adjustment barrel thingy always breaks on people, ive never broken one, but never run a disk for more than 2 months so meh.

If you bleed it badly, you'll get pockets of air trapped. Ali had never bled one before and bled mine perfectly first try. It's really not this incredibly difficult lever to bleed that people seem to be saying it is - even if you had trouble, you could go onto Hope's site and check out their pretty excellent video guides for how to do it. Either way, it's really not hard.

The 'upgrade' was so you can adjust bite point and reach more easily. I didn't really like the feel of my original Hope lever because I couldn't get my brake to feel how I wanted it to feel. Now, I can. If Magura made the HS33 lever with no TPA, and purely reach adjustment, people wouldn't really be keen on it, so why should that be different for a disc? I put mine on the back and I've managed to get my back brake to be totally fine now. It should be fairly obvious why they're more expensive, especially when you look at one in the flesh. There's an incredible amount of work in the levers, and they have a lot more going on with them than the standard Hope levers. It's not like the lever's got a downgrade and doesn't work at all.

In terms of 'world class riders' (which ones, incidentally?), they're going to have to get used to them soon enough because the normal Mono Trial levers are apparently being phased out to be replaced by the Tech lever. In terms of Hope 'making money' from it as well, it's really useful for shops like us too because now, instead of having to have a seperate stock of right and left hand lever fitted brakes, and having to guess how many brakes we're going to sell in different parts of the world, we can just get an overall stock that we can just send out anywhere in the world. It's a hell of a lot better...

They definitely do look nice. I'm completely unconvinced by "Bite point adjustment" on discs - it seems like something that manufacturers can charge a stupid amount of money for. It's NOT the same as TPA (the lever reach on discs tends to work differently to that on Mags) - on any half decent disc you can get the lever to exactly where you want it using just reach adjust. The only difference is with bite point adjustment you can change how close the lever sits to the bar when you're not holding it. Which (if I'm riding my bike) is, uh, never?

The only difference is with bite point adjustment you can change how close the lever sits to the bar when you're not holding it.

That is the reach adjust you numpty... Reach adjust changes where the blade sits at rest and bite point adjustment changes where through the levers travel the brake actually starts biting. With standard blades that can only be done either by most likely having a non-ideal reach position or by cheating the system by pumping the brake or fiddling with reservoir levels before putting the wheel in. With the new levers (which I haven't tried yet) you can properly fine tune the feel (like with HS33's) without having to cheat the system.

If you bleed it badly, you'll get pockets of air trapped. Ali had never bled one before and bled mine perfectly first try. It's really not this incredibly difficult lever to bleed that people seem to be saying it is - even if you had trouble, you could go onto Hope's site and check out their pretty excellent video guides for how to do it. Either way, it's really not hard.

The 'upgrade' was so you can adjust bite point and reach more easily. I didn't really like the feel of my original Hope lever because I couldn't get my brake to feel how I wanted it to feel. Now, I can. If Magura made the HS33 lever with no TPA, and purely reach adjustment, people wouldn't really be keen on it, so why should that be different for a disc? I put mine on the back and I've managed to get my back brake to be totally fine now. It should be fairly obvious why they're more expensive, especially when you look at one in the flesh. There's an incredible amount of work in the levers, and they have a lot more going on with them than the standard Hope levers. It's not like the lever's got a downgrade and doesn't work at all.

In terms of 'world class riders' (which ones, incidentally?), they're going to have to get used to them soon enough because the normal Mono Trial levers are apparently being phased out to be replaced by the Tech lever. In terms of Hope 'making money' from it as well, it's really useful for shops like us too because now, instead of having to have a seperate stock of right and left hand lever fitted brakes, and having to guess how many brakes we're going to sell in different parts of the world, we can just get an overall stock that we can just send out anywhere in the world. It's a hell of a lot better...

I was only passing on what others had said..

And I never really had a problem with the Mono Trial levers, neither did most of the other people who had them.

Either way, I'd rather pay half the cost of a hope brake and go with an Avid cable.. More reliable, you can't pop it, it can't leak etc etc.

I have those levers on my Kona on a set of M4's. They are pretty darn stunning. The perforated lever blade feels lovely if a little unnecessary but the whole lever is a work of art. The only down side is that due to their mammoth size when used with gear levers they can be a bit cumbersome. I have had to bodge my shifters on in a slightly uncomfortable fashion, but on a trials bike....no worries at all.

I would definetly consider getting some of these for my Inspired. Also you don't get lateral lever wobble with the new design so the whole thing feels a lot stiffer and more secure.

popped one on my inspired last night, bled fine first try, feels solid! The adjustment works exactly the same as a TPA on a magura, normal hope levers generally bite too far away from the bar for my liking, so I have to run the lever too close to get the bite point right, not so with the Tech lever.

I'd love one on my Inspired. Bite adjustment on the trials bike would be nice. I haven't had to bleed my set on my Kona yet but i imagine it will be easier than the older mono trial lever. Surely with this one you just need to get the whole lever parallel rather than just the reservoir.

I was only passing on what others had said..

And I never really had a problem with the Mono Trial levers, neither did most of the other people who had them.

Either way, I'd rather pay half the cost of a hope brake and go with an Avid cable.. More reliable, you can't pop it, it can't leak etc etc.

Indeed but when a cable disc f**ks up when you are not expecting it you really eat shit.

Indeed but when a cable disc f**ks up when you are not expecting it you really eat shit.

With decent maintenance they wont brake, Just change the cable regularly, if it frays change it same goes if if too stretched. to be honest mechanicals are pretty much more reliable on the whole and often have better power and adjustment.

• 2 weeks later...

As Mark and Ali rated this lever and they know their shit (even if they are selling them ;) ) I thought I would give it a go.

Just arrived from tarty bikes.

Fitted it really easily just bled the lever before fitting it, put the pipe with noo fittings on and hey presto one marvelously working brake.

Massive improvement with this lever, having adjustment for reach and bite separate is really a must for trials I would say and it's about time hope got on it.

The flip floppyness of it is especially handy for me and the extra adjustment makes it an excellent product and bang up to date.

Well done Hope and nice one to tarty bikes for being forward thinking and getting this product in.