Raising The Front End!

DaiTrials

Ok, can you have a at this product and then try answer the question below...

http://www.stif.co.uk/gear/select_options.asp?productid=6245

This would replace the race that sits on the fork crown between the fork and bottom of the headset to raise it 5mm. having the effect of taking a standard set of 400mm forks to 405mm.

My question is if its safe to use this, is its safe to just use some stem stacker's?

The original problem brought up with putting stacker's between your fork crown and race is that the stacker's are of a thinner outer diameter than the crown race so its not safe. but as you can see from the Chris king product design, it also steps down to a thinner width?

The reason I ask this is because I want to raise my front end up 10mm without a fork change. The only problem I can see if safety is not an issue, is that the bottom of the steerer tube is thicker where the crown race sits. Does anyone know where you can buy spacers like this? or would it have to be a custom job? does anyone know the standard measurements of the steerer thicknesses also?

Thanks, Dave

My question is if its safe to use this, is its safe to just use some stem stacker's?

No. That's steel and designed to be in contact with the bottom race of the headset (the wider area the bearing sits on and the central raised area which locates the bearing centrally). Stem stackers are A) lightweight, soft material (carbon fibre, aluminium or whatever) and B) don't have the required design elements to accept and locate the lower bearing.

If the spacer was a decent thickness, and was filed down to be a snug fit on the bottom of the steerer, then it would probably be ok. The main problem you'd have is that the crown race would sit on the thinner part of the steerer and would probably be able to move around, giving a headset that could knock even when tight. Although its far from ideal it can be made to work, no harm in at least trying it to see if it will fit.

No. That's steel and designed to be in contact with the bottom race of the headset (the wider area the bearing sits on and the central raised area which locates the bearing centrally). Stem stackers are A) lightweight, soft material (carbon fibre, aluminium or whatever) and B) don't have the required design elements to accept and locate the lower bearing.

Um... I think you misunderstood! The spacer would go between the crown and crown race, not replace it! I understand how it all works thanks, I've been riding trials for 8 yrs and biking for around 15yrs.

Just so its clear it would sit on the fork crown and be the same diameter as the crown and the lower part of the headset ( The crown race ) would then sit on this spacer (prob custom job)

If the spacer was a decent thickness, and was filed down to be a snug fit on the bottom of the steerer, then it would probably be ok. The main problem you'd have is that the crown race would sit on the thinner part of the steerer and would probably be able to move around, giving a headset that could knock even when tight. Although its far from ideal it can be made to work, no harm in at least trying it to see if it will fit.

Thanks Matt. Fortunately the area designed for the crown race on the new echo urbans is a whopping 20mm tall, so i'm thinking that as long as this custom spacer is the same width on the outside as the fork crown, there will be no difference at all? Will speak to you in more detail when I see you on wednesday...

Um... I think you misunderstood! The spacer would go between the crown and crown race, not replace it! I understand how it all works thanks, I've been riding trials for 8 yrs and biking for around 15yrs.

Just so its clear it would sit on the fork crown and be the same diameter as the crown and the lower part of the headset ( The crown race ) would then sit on this spacer (prob custom job)

Ah, gotcha, sorry! I don't really see why it won't work then in theory, although you may need to file down the inside of the stem stackers to allow them to pass over the flared section that the crown race should sit around.