Modified Cars

Luke_zoo

Modifing your car is it really worth it if you want to keep the car?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Would you mod your car?

• yes only if I was to keep the car.
    • No not worth it.
    • Not botherd really.

If the car is worth while then yes (ie, skylines, supras, evos, scoobys, rx7s ect) A subtle bodykit is as much as i would go. Nice wheels, sorted suspension and tune it to f**k! But if its a clio, saxo or any other shit box like that then no. They all need to be DESTROYED! Old school cars like minis, beetles are cool too! Could anyone explain why chavs put spoilers on their cars when the car is A. Front wheel drive B. put one on the rear of the car to create downforce C. Thus essentially liftin the front wheels and reducing drive!

If the car is worth while then yes (ie, skylines, supras, evos, scoobys, rx7s ect) A subtle bodykit is as much as i would go. Nice wheels, sorted suspension and tune it to f**k! But if its a clio, saxo or any other shit box like that then no. They all need to be DESTROYED! Old school cars like minis, beetles are cool too! Could anyone explain why chavs put spoilers on their cars when the car is A. Front wheel drive B. put one on the rear of the car to create downforce C. Thus essentially liftin the front wheels and reducing drive!

I beg to differ, my 106 was running just over 160bhp and handled amazing. not only did it look ok it went like shit. I think it all depends whats done to it, everyone thinks that because a car is modified that the driver automaticly thinks hes driving a rocket ship. The euro scene is mainly for looks so the need to a fast car isnt there. But end of the day what ever you do to your car should be because you like it not what others say.

I reckon it is worth it.... BUT only if you can:

a) afford to do it properly

AND

b ) have the time to do it properly

There is no point in doing it on a ridiculously small budget unless you really know what you are doing (i.e work for a bodyshop / garage etc.)

Likewise there is no point in spunking money all over it if you havent spent any time thinking about what you actually want or what you think will actually look good / work well. I know someone who spent thousands and thousands on his MR2 and has ended up with bits and pieces done, it now looks half finished and patchy but there is nothing more that can be done without spending thousands more. If he thought about it he could have done it much differently and for the same money come out with a much nicer looking car...

Although, i could also quite happily take all that back and say its your money, your car, do whatever the fook makes you happy....

So really, that was no use to anyone... but good luck!

Edited by Rojo

Depends on your choice of car and what you want to get out of modifiying it. All the car I've owned have been modified to some extent or another.

My 1.2 Corsa had an upgraded stereo, no massive subs, but new head unit, decent amp and the stock speakers were replaced for better quality ones. At the time I wasn't fussed about it handling well or having more power (there little point with a small engine like that, you spend a lot of money for little gain), nor did I care for bodykits and big wheels. Having the stereo just made driving it more pleasurable.

My Civic Vti had new wheels, suspension, a bit of engine work, and everything stripped from the interior. They are nippy and good handling cars to begin with and the mods just enhanced that and focused it more on the drive as opposed to comfort, looks etc.

My current rx7 has a fair amount of engine work, and bodywork mods and a little to the interior, the looks aren't to everyones tastes, but if you go that route make sure you are changing the looks to something YOU like, not because you think other people will like it...

So really the two questions are:

What car are you looking at getting?

What do you want to modify on it?

That way we can tell you if it's really worth it or not :)

If you know what modifications you want and don't have the car yet, get one already modified. You'll save a lot of money. Personally I think all these mods for road cars are shit and unless they're for a specific purpose it's a waste of money. Top Gear proved that rather well with their Avantime some itme ago. I can't understand people who get ie. Supras or Evos and keep spending money on them and NEVER go on the track.

Why be a twat about it?

Not note the sarcasm?

Im all for modifying cars, Minis for example are great to modify and relativly simple to work on. Or if you want to modify newer cars the Euro style is popular nowadays with Polos etc.

Depends what you want from your modifying. If you want something fast, it would be worth buying something fairly quick to begin with instead of spending loads and loads of money and having not much mor epwoer than where you started.

I beg to differ, my 106 was running just over 160bhp and handled amazing. not only did it look ok it went like shit. I think it all depends whats done to it, everyone thinks that because a car is modified that the driver automaticly thinks hes driving a rocket ship. The euro scene is mainly for looks so the need to a fast car isnt there. But end of the day what ever you do to your car should be because you like it not what others say.

How much have you spent on your 106 in total? I kind of want one for my first project car just wondering about costs?