Cnc Backings.

Laurence--Trials

Are CNC backings worth getting?   

195 members have voted

1. 1. Are CNC backings really worth the money?

• Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. Do they really make braking noticeably better ?

• Yes.
    • No.
  3. 3. Do you need different backings for differnt pads?

• Yes.
    • No.
  4. 4. Have you used CNC backings

• Yes.
    • No.
  5. 5. One for revolver (multiple choice question)

I'm thinking about buying some CNC backings soon and wondered about following questions ~in the poll~

some reviews would be nice if posable

Which pads should i buy with them one for a smooth rim? (im not getting a grind)

Thanks Laurence.

EDIT: at the moment im useing green rocks

Edited by Laurence--Trials

I used Heatsink CNC Cousts for a year on a smooth, theyre pretty good. But now i've swapped to TNN LGM's and oh my god they are insane compared to the Cousts.

The CNC backings do make a difference, they make your brake noticeably stiffer if you have the pads set up to the rim perfectly square.

For fitting, the Heatsink backings are fine, you just take the pad material out of the current backigns you have got and glue the material into the CNC backings, on the Heatsink website there is a pad fitting guide.

Either the Heatsink snowies or yellows (apparently both the same compound just different colours?) are both very good on a smooth, so are the LGM's.

I used Heatsink CNC Cousts for a year on a smooth, theyre pretty good. But now i've swapped to TNN LGM's and oh my god they are insane compared to the Cousts.

The CNC backings do make a difference, they make your brake noticeably stiffer if you have the pads set up to the rim perfectly square.

For fitting, the Heatsink backings are fine, you just take the pad material out of the current backigns you have got and glue the material into the CNC backings, on the Heatsink website there is a pad fitting guide.

Either the Heatsink snowies or yellows (apparently both the same compound just different colours?) are both very good on a smooth, so are the LGM's.

Thankyou for that :)

How do TNN's perform on smooth ?

And how long do they last ?

Thanks.

Laurence.

I'm not Sure on how long the wear rate is as i've only had them for about 3 weeks, but they work so well on a smooth.

They have got a really nice feeling bite and the hold is insane.

Ahh fair enough then, thats good i might think about buying some of them.. but on the heatsink pads.. is this the right link/pads if not would you be able to give me the right one please?

Thanks.

Laurence.

The tnns will last ages on a smooth matey! they are epic!

Ah nice cheers

TNN's are awesome but only if they are set up square, they are shit otherwise and I mean worse than useless.

Mine have lasted a good while now and there's loads left on them.

Ah allright ill keep that in mind do you use them on a smooth ?

Thankyou for all of you help guys keep it comming ! :)

Laurence.

Just gonna add to the 99% of the population here!

The CNC backings available all but eliminate flex within the pad backing itself, which means the (massive) amount of energy that goes into deforming the plastic (essentially heating it up as it flexes back and forth), goes directly to adding more power to your brake!

As you can imagine, this reduces the flexy feel of the brake, adds to the grabbiness of it, whilst reducing unnecessary noise, and naturally increasing power. :)

I'm gonna follow Steve with the shameless plugs and point you to the links in my signature. :wink2:

Mike.

CNC backed pads are great (Y)

You may find my CNC pad fitting guide of use at some point in the future :)

http://www.heatsinkbikes.com/?p=padsguide

Cheers,

Steve

Ah thankyou ill defantly use that :)

Just gonna add to the 99% of the population here!

The CNC backings available all but eliminate flex within the pad backing itself, which means the (massive) amount of energy that goes into deforming the plastic (essentially heating it up as it flexes back and forth), goes directly to adding more power to your brake!

As you can imagine, this reduces the flexy feel of the brake, adds to the grabbiness of it, whilst reducing unnecessary noise, and naturally increasing power. :)

I'm gonna follow Steve with the shameless plugs and point you to the links in my signature. :wink2:

Mike.

(Y) i didnt achually know how it worked haha and now after a ride i know exactly what you mean! :) ty

No, medium sharp grind which goes dead over a couple of weeks

oh right, sorry but what dose dead mean ?