Provisional Insurance ?

Otacon

Hey guys, im learning to drive at the minute, but my dad also wants to teach me being a proffesional driver by trade, to save me money.

Car were planning on using is a mazda 1.5 petrol (not sure what model of mazda).

Now i've only got a provisional license which is obvious. My dad is fully comp on the car and im just curious how much roughly it will cost for me to be on the car, and to drive it, but only when he's in the car with me ?

Thanks,

Danny.

Edited by Otacon

Hey guys, im learning to drive at the minute, but my dad also wants to teach me being a proffesional driver by trade, to save me money.

Car were planning on using is a mazda 1.5 petrol (not sure what model of mazda).

Now i've only got a provisional license which is obvious. My dad is fully comp on the car and im just curious how much roughly it will cost for me to be on the car, and to drive it, but only when he's in the car with me ?

Thanks,

Danny.

How the hell are we meant to know, really?

We dont know what car it is, what year it is, what its worth, we dont know your dads driving history, how much he pays for insurance, who your insured with, where you live, what you do for a living, how many miles a year your dad drives the car for, whether your dads no claims bonus is protected. All these things will effect it.

To be honest, its not even worth asking here, you need to ring your insurers and find out (or go on compare the market, and enter in the details that way, to get a rough guide of how much youd be paying for the year with it set up like that, on your dads policy)

How the hell are we meant to know, really?

We dont know what car it is, what year it is, what its worth, we dont know your dads driving history, how much he pays for insurance, who your insured with, where you live, what you do for a living, how many miles a year your dad drives the car for, whether your dads no claims bonus is protected. All these things will effect it.

To be honest, its not even worth asking here, you need to ring your insurers and find out (or go on compare the market, and enter in the details that way, to get a rough guide of how much youd be paying for the year with it set up like that, on your dads policy)

All right, f**kin hell, no need be shitty. Like i said, ROUGHLY, read, it helps. I meant on the basis, are we talking, £50, £500, £5000. Roughly Kev. Chill.

All right, f**kin hell, no need be shitty. Like i said, ROUGHLY, read, it helps. I meant on the basis, are we talking, £50, £500, £5000. Roughly Kev. Chill.

was more to stop people saying "need to know what car it is" or "need to know what your areas like"

when in fact without knowing about every single thing, theres no way you can give even a rough estimate, it could be from as little as £20 or £30, to several thousand dependant on insurer and your dads driving history.

Everyone i've known thats driven outside of lessons has had their own car (Dave and jenko), so might be cheaper to get your own insurance policy rather than being on your dads?

Like a girl I work with, she passed her test not long ago (after failing it about 4 times) and she shares a car with her mum, they found it cheaper for her to be the main driver and her mum to be the 2nd because her mum hadn't driven for a few years...

Ring around. I had quotes of like 8 grand on mine, ended up being under 2. (First car, own policy that was). Just whatever you do, make sure you find out how much it will be when you pass aswel, i had some provisional quotes of like 1500, then they said oh and full license is like 5 grand.

The main thing is ring around, maybe find a forum or such of that particular car, and see who everyones going with, and give them a ring, see what they say. I spent about a day pretty much non stop ringing around for my insurance, and it payed off eventually.

Good luck

Owen

I've never paid that much for my insurance. The highest I've ever had was about £700, and that was on a Jap import 2.5ltr 7 seater people carrier on my own policy with no one else as named driver.

My current insurance is £450 fully comp, on a 2.2ltr Vectra estate, and thats with 1 crash and only 1 years NCB.

I'd definitely have a shop around, from what I remember it was only an extra £100 to add me as a named driver to my dads car when I was learning.

A lot depends on your postcode, if you live in/near a shit area then insurance goes up. I live in the middle of no where but share the same postcode as a real shit estate which is why my insurance is so high.

I live in Northern Ireland! Insurance companies seem to think it's the shittest area in the Uk :ermm:

My mums insurance is registered to our house in England which lowers it significantly, Dads is registered here but it dropped by about £300 when he declared it was on a secure army barracks haha.