Middleburn Screw-on Cranks

idlehans

I can both confirm and deny that rumour.

We have a set of screw on cranks here BUT they do not have enough threads to be strong enough for trials, the shape of the forging doesn't allow any more to be machined either.

Hi Ali,thanks for replying.What are those cranks for then if they're not suitable for trials then ?

We have a set of screw on cranks here BUT they do not have enough threads to be strong enough for trials, the shape of the forging doesn't allow any more to be machined either.

What about with just a freewheel, no bash?

Hi Ali,thanks for replying.What are those cranks for then if they're not suitable for trials then ?

What happens is, the regular cranks that have the spline on them are cast to a certain size. You can't change this size without forking out a lot of money to machine new moulds.

It sounds like the original cast is only big enough for the spline but not big enough to fit a long enough thread. All they are doing is changing the machining process for the spline to a thread instead.

So those cranks are regular cranks with pretty much a modification.

I emailed them about a year ago and the guy promised they'd be around at the start of this year... Damn liar!

It's daft,I think middleburn are missing a trick here, how many people on here would buy a set of middleburn screw-on's ? I definately would and I don't think I'm alone in this.

Aren't middleburns cnc'd phil? Or does that not make anything difference to what your saying

No difference bro, think they're forged then cnc'd, but the forging bit is only big enough for their spline.

Could someone just make a freewheel to fit on their spline? then we could use old XTR baller cranks.

and anyway - why would middleburn (or anyone else) want to go back to a really naff engineering solution - threads are f**king rubbish for this application - splines make 100000000000000000000000000x more sense.

Is anyone planing to build a freewheel that fits onto the exsisting spline patterns,middleburn or shimano ? either would be good because threads are a crap way of doing it....

Yes they are, but as with the majority of machined items even everything in the cycle industry (hope hubs, discs etc) They are cast first then machined to reduce waste and improve speed.

Thats not strictly true is it. Aren't hope hubs, brakes etc machined from billets, which are formed from forged ingots, which may have been originally cast? Middleburn cranks are bear net forged, like raceface cranks, the forging process which aligns grain structure and removes uneven crystal growth to maximise strength in the crank, takes them to as near to the finish product as forging could and then the slines, threads and finish is applied with the cnc machine.

I may be wrong, slate me if i am :P

Got to agree with Rowan and Luke here too, splines to seem to make a lot more sense, its about time one of the manufacturers stpeed up and changed the design of their freewheels to fit this.

Thats not strictly true is it. Aren't hope hubs, brakes etc machined from billets, which are formed from forged ingots, which may have been originally cast? Middleburn cranks are bear net forged, like raceface cranks, the forging process which aligns grain structure and removes uneven crystal growth to maximise strength in the crank, takes them to as near to the finish product as forging could and then the slines, threads and finish is applied with the cnc machine.

I may be wrong, slate me if i am :P

Got to agree with Rowan and Luke here too, splines to seem to make a lot more sense, its about time one of the manufacturers stpeed up and changed the design of their freewheels to fit this.

I think Hope use Castings for most of their products.

Anyway, I don't know exactly how Middleburns are made I was just explaining the casting process as Ali said they where cast.

Anyway, I don't know exactly how Middleburns are made I was just explaining the casting process as Ali said they where cast.

I bet they dont ;)

Cast aluminium is typically cheese (look at how many magura levers crack ;) ) and no good in a stressed application like a hub flange. Im willing to bet that hope machine all, if not most of their products from solid billets. Middleburn do net die forge (as craigjames stated) this gived them close to the final shape, theyre then cnc machined to size, this is the same process for tryall and rockman cranks and is the best way to from aluminium components like cranks.

In general a billet machined hub is strong enough without the very high costs of die forging :)

He was saying they were cast and then machined, not forged. Middleburn near net forge they're cranks. As far as i knew billets were forged from cast ingots to remove uneven crystal size due to the differential cooling rates within the casting and to give the billets a uniform grain structure?

Well...if yall want something experimental and don't mind not having a bashguard, maybe you should take a look at these. No guarantee that they'll work, but they have the same number of splines as middleburn, and you could run a 14t up front. And a simple email to them would resolve it.

I think there's a good chance that they'll work, since middleburns are based on roughly 1.375" diameter, and the ENO hub probably is, since it used to be threaded.