Stuck Sproket!

trialsmax04

Hey , I had the same problem .

I took the crank to my local bike shop and they couldn't manage to get the sprocket off , so I wrapped the sprocket in an old chain and gripped the chain in the vice with a nail through one of the links to stop the chain pulling out of the vice as I turned the crank with a large pipe over it for leverage. Like they mention in the wiki :turned:

Yes this technique will probably damage the chain , but if you really need the sprocket removed it works well . ^_^

Are there no local riders who would have an old chain lying around ?

Cheers

If you can, get 2 peices of wood in the vice, and clamp it inbetween the peices of wood, the teeth will grip to the wood and then use massive leverage, my mate uses a scaffolding pole, works every time :)

Kieran

Tried it before, teeth just rip though the wood.

On the drilled sprocket, clamp the cranks in a vice, find two bolts and put them in opposite holes on the sprocket. Get some form of bar and put it between the bolts and turn. I'm pretty sure theres a guide to it somewhere, I'll have a look and edit in a second (Y)

On the other one, Clamp the crank in a vice again and grab a hollow bar, maybe 1ft or so. Put a chain round the sprocket and through the bar. Join the chain at the end of the bars and put a Bolt through the chain to stop it coming of the bar, chain needs to be pretty tight. Once it's on, when you turn the bar the sprocket should start to come loose (Y)

Edit: http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....c=108399&hl=

Follow that for the 1st one (Y) After re-reading the second one it may not make sense, Pm me if you need it explaining better :$ (Y)

Edited by Adam-Griffin

On the drilled sprocket, clamp the cranks in a vice, find two bolts and put them in opposite holes on the sprocket. Get some form of bar and put it between the bolts and turn. I'm pretty sure theres a guide to it somewhere, I'll have a look and edit in a second (Y)

On the other one, Clamp the crank in a vice again and grab a hollow bar, maybe 1ft or so. Put a chain round the sprocket and through the bar. Join the chain at the end of the bars and put a Bolt through the chain to stop it coming of the bar, chain needs to be pretty tight. Once it's on, when you turn the bar the sprocket should start to come loose (Y)

Edit: http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....c=108399&hl=

Follow that for the 1st one (Y) After re-reading the second one it may not make sense, Pm me if you need it explaining better :$ (Y)

Adam i love you! I did the trick with the bolts in the sproket. I used the pillie drill to do a couple of holes in the sproket, two 10mm bolts, and then a 5ft shash clamp that has holes of the right distance apart moved it. It was still fecking tight!

Thanks for the help guys,

Max

Edited by trialsmax04