Echo Now Catering For The 24" Riders!

RossMcd

Im with Mark, why has nobody grasped that making long 24 bikes just plain sucks? Stumpy 24s rock and it seems nobody really makes them for some weird reason. i liked my zoot but it always felt that little bit too long for most things, im 6ft 2 and i still felt too stretched

Jon Fisher's 24UK proto f**k-up that was like 1085 or something ridiculous like that felt alright, but it basically felt like a stock that wasn't quite a stock. It was better than a stock for spinnier stuff and manuals and all that jazz, but it wasn't as good as a stock for doing TGS-y stuff. It just seems like if you want to do TGS on a bike like that, you might as well just get a shorter stock. Matt B or Mike Singleton's Adamant short stock (A1 or something?) felt really nice. Good for TGS, but still nimble enough to do other stuff on.

It's not that I don't like 24" bikes, I've just only ever ridden 2 that felt any good - Jon Granger's Inspired and Joel Bennett's Leeson. The difference between their bikes and most others was that they were actually set up well, which is something most people don't seem capable of doing. It just seems like a lot of the way 24" bikes are set up is just some kind of shitty bodge that makes up for a not ideal frame design (more specifically the geometry of them), or just parts that aren't really made to work with 24's. I also don't get the point in riding a 24" bike for TGS stuff, but pretty much in the same way I didn't really like the majority of ultra long mods set up to feel like a little stock. If you want to ride a bike that feels like a stock, why not just ride a stock? Like the 'GoodBoy' proto Phil had felt like utter shite because it was pretty much a TGS 24" bike, and just wasn't good at anything. If you end up speccing the geometry of a frame as a massive compromise between 'streety' stuff and TGS stuff, then it's going to be pretty obvious when you try riding it.

But yeah, these Deng ones could be set up a lot better. Bearing in mind no-one actually uses their seats on a 24 for tricks or anything like that, you could get away with something a lot smaller just to have it as a simple thing to sit on. Pivotal setups are a lot smaller and lighter, and are still probably more comfy to sit on than some harder, stiffer roadie/XC seat.

Jon Fisher's 24UK proto f**k-up that was like 1085 or something ridiculous like that felt alright, but it basically felt like a stock that wasn't quite a stock. It was better than a stock for spinnier stuff and manuals and all that jazz, but it wasn't as good as a stock for doing TGS-y stuff. It just seems like if you want to do TGS on a bike like that, you might as well just get a shorter stock. Matt B or Mike Singleton's Adamant short stock (A1 or something?) felt really nice. Good for TGS, but still nimble enough to do other stuff on.

You know it! I've actually got some 24" wheels I want to try in my Adamant to see what its like. Mainly because I can do it for free, but also I'm so used to the geometry I don't really want to change frames.

On the whole Deng 24" issue, I for one like them. I think it would have been a lot more interesting to have one around 1060-1070 though...

Shame you gotta run a load of Deng parts though :\

I'd've been interested - but the only Deng compenent I own are forks.

Don't wanna have to shell out for BB, new cranks (got tapered middleburns) and would it be a rear hub too? Or is it just that only that tentioner will work on that hub?

Quite like that grey Adamant everyone's hating on, but I'm with Revolver. Should be a 1020/1025 version.

Looks to me like they have cut down mech hanger's on, Flipp. I'm massivley interested in one of the Echo's now after a second look.

(Sorry I didn't text back last night Flipp, I forgot you had text me and I was driving. I can't make saturday man, work :()