Onza Dropouts,

Paperclip

just start x-raying your frames... then you can figure out maybe where you need to keep more time on a weld and such.. or maybe the joint is too narrow to keep strong, yet not brittle? the heat may be too much for it... so take longer breaks for each weld segmant?

not sure...

At the dropout?

haha yeah that might be a little helpful seen as this is a dig at the dropouts, but I dont think the welds weak,

however where the frames going with the offset steys itd be a b*****d to get right in there to weld, so again I blame the dropout shape for this as it is putting urber strain on that bottom stey and around that weld area, however I wouldent put it down too the overall quality of the welding rather a design fault.

I have had my ice for 5 months yesterday and i found a crack on the right CS the opposite side that i side hop :( it's going through the weld to :(

Jamie :(

This is what this thread should've been like. A bunch of people who suffer the problem mention it so Onza can have a crack (heh) at fixing it in the next version of the frame.

It should NOT have been a big long string of people saying how shit Onza's are.

Also - Onza - if you ARE reading this, make another 24... one with a seat :P Other frames are to 'spensive, and my Zoot's getting battered.

This is what this thread should've been like. A bunch of people who suffer the problem mention it so Onza can have a crack (heh) at fixing it in the next version of the frame.

Also - Onza - if you ARE reading this, make another 24... one with a seat :P Other frames are to 'spensive, and my Zoot's getting battered.

lol well this topic isnt a massive dig at onza!

but ohh well and a 24 would be kool

Well, incase you haven't noticed, that's exactly what we're NOT doing.

I think you'll find me and Seabass both said it's the nicest riding frames we've been on and that we love them.

So shhhhh. :P

haha yeah that might be a little helpful seen as this is a dig at the dropouts, but I dont think the welds weak,

however where the frames going with the offset steys itd be a b*****d to get right in there to weld, so again I blame the dropout shape for this as it is putting urber strain on that bottom stey and around that weld area, however I wouldent put it down too the overall quality of the welding rather a design fault.

Weld could be undercut on that area, making the tube weak just along side the weld. The crack begins here, could be too small to , it then precipitates along the tube and through the tube.

Matt

Well, incase you haven't noticed, that's exactly what we're NOT doing.

I think you'll find me and Seabass both said it's the nicest riding frames we've been on and that we love them.

So shhhhh. :P

Me to the ice frame is defo one of the most nicest riding mod frames out and my next frame is going to be an onza

This don't put me off onza

Jamie

how do you crack anything? theres no weight to you...

also ddid you fit that cotton reel in your garden?... lol

Ha ha

Yeah but we had to get two ladders and put them on the fence and rolled it up and over ha ha and it went through the decking when it landed ha ha :)

Jamie

I've got a huge reel in my garden, it's about 4 feet wide and the round bits are about 7 feet diameter.

Had to take down part of the garden wall to get it in. :lol:

EDIT: You can see it in my new avatar! My bikes on it.

Edited by Muel

I dont really see this as a design problem really.

I was on the phone Joe this morning having a chat about this n that, and this topic got mentioned.He pointed out that there are over 600 frames with these drop outs, and these are the only 2 that have had problems.He also said that, Seabass has had a half place replacement frame, is that still going ok? Any sign of a problem yet?

So i think 2/600 doesnt mean there is a huge flaw that warrents a huge re design

I have/had 3 bikes with these drop outs and not found a single problem ( and one was a prototype frame)

Scott :)

I would have to inspect an actual example but the figures quoted and from the pictures I would say that the cracks are the result of a quality issue with the welding of these particular frames, rather than the design side of things.

Matt

I was on the phone Joe this morning having a chat about this n that, and this topic got mentioned.He pointed out that there are over 600 frames with these drop outs, and these are the only 2 that have had problems.He also said that, Seabass has had a half place replacement frame, is that still going ok? Any sign of a problem yet?

So i think 2/600 doesnt mean there is a huge flaw that warrents a huge re design

I have/had 3 bikes with these drop outs and not found a single problem ( and one was a prototype frame)

See above.

Matt

yeah, well there relatively new frames so we shall see however having 5< of these frames crack in the same place gives you a slight idea of where the weakest part of this frame is, also given your making a street frame soon< that maybe you could adapt the drop outs in some way even to make us feel better, and my ice is still going simply because its sat in my shed :)

this thread is still going :sleeping:

(Y) cool

onzaIcecrack.jpg

CrackedOnza.jpg

how in anyway shape or form is this to do with the 'new style dropout'

THESE DROPOUTS ATM ARE REALLY GOOD HOWEVER CANT BE RIDDEN ON STREET AT ALL! OR THEY WILL DIE,

For starters the frames are for natural.

and what makes you think that frames are put under more pressure on street?

landing on a weird angle rock would push the frames all different directions.

dont get rid of these dropouts they're 1000 times better than snail cams

It's actually about 5 outta 600. And considering they have only been out for 6 months or so... that's quite alot.

how in anyway shape or form is this to do with the 'new style dropout'

For starters the frames are for natural.

and what makes you think that frames are put under more pressure on street?

landing on a weird angle rock would push the frames all different directions.

dont get rid of these dropouts they're 1000 times better than snail cams

No, they were made for natural and street. Look on Tarty.

On tarty it says for street AND natural?

Exactly

meh,

you get me though

... actually, no. I don't.

Less than a frame a month, basically? Bearing in mind that they're all pretty damn light frames too. It just doesn't really sound like all that many given the time-frame and the amount sold. Especially if one of those 5 was the proto mentioned on P1?

Less than a frame a month, basically? Bearing in mind that they're all pretty damn light frames too. It just doesn't really sound like all that many given the time-frame and the amount sold. Especially if one of those 5 was the proto mentioned on P1?

Ok fair point. I give in. >_<

I will hopefully get another one under warranty so I will see how it goes. (Y)