Innovation In Trials

tryallmaster

Perhaps the dawn of the proper trials external bb crankset?

Chain-line's bad enough on mods at the best of times! Similarly, if the switch to 116mm rear ends on stocks kicks off more, it'll be a problem for them too...

I've been waiting for years! I first went double disc in around 2002... When's Dave going to get the Mk2 Inspired sorted?! :P

YES I need a dual disk inspired, all the good brake set ups on the inspired have worked fine but been way too noisy for anything to look smooth, like little drags on manuals just sound like a screaming duck.

I disagree with Ali on the carbon front, as prices are only going up?

I think air sprung frames could sap power if not used propperly and dont think it will catch on.

The thing with that air-sprung frame is, it relied on the flex from the frame, there was no pivot. I think this could be a weak point in the frame, but similarly, if there was a pivot, it might result in losing power. You'd have to learn to ride with it, anywho.

Maybe the innovation should be a switch to 150mm rear ends then. Wide spaced flanges building stronger wheels, with better chainline.

Though it'll never happen for the same reason as the 25" backwheel.

And also because unless you had a much wider BB, you'd have trouble getting the stays to bend out that far? I know you could slam a yoke in there, then have straighter tubes going from that, but 15mm extra rear end width's going to be hassle.

I disagree with Ali on the carbon front, as prices are only going up?

CFRP technology is having huge amounts of money spent on it in research all the time. Newer techniques are developed and prices will fall as we develop better ways of producing it.

The only problem is it's tendency to delaminate in impacts making it a dangerous material to rely on with high contact trials parts (frames, cranks, forks etc)

Guest itstroy08

No idea, looks good, and no cables to snag or pop.

And Would be a simple 3 peice unit, maby even remove the hydrolic idea, and just use air suction to push the pads, so you only need to clean a filter.

Guest itstroy08
So a power supply, compressor (potentially), air cylinder and pneumatic rams...I can't see it being too simple.

I mean more simple to set up. not the actual tech stuff.

Im sure there will be economies of scale. The sport is obviously growing rapidly (since I was i Australia for a year the sport grew by 25%!)

Although you say that, a couple of years ago, you could go to say shipley glen on your own, at any weekend and you knew there would be around 15-20 riders. Now your lucky if there is anyone else up there except yourself.

I do agree that bikes are getting better, but the english comp scene (well northern) seems to be dying, when compared to around 2 or 3 years ago.

Although you say that, a couple of years ago, you could go to say shipley glen on your own, at any weekend and you knew there would be around 15-20 riders. Now your lucky if there is anyone else up there except yourself.

I do agree that bikes are getting better, but the english comp scene (well northern) seems to be dying, when compared to around 2 or 3 years ago.

Totally understand your point. When I started 9 years ago it was the norm to enter comps and freeze your balls in the rain. Over the years street has taken over and the comp scene has steadily declined. From the looks of it at the moment though comps are slowly becoming more popular. Maybe due to more 'streety' comps...

I think freewheel systems need to improve!!! The clutch idea is definitely on the right lines.

Lewis.

Didnt Shimano make air pressure brakes and gear shifters way back when. I seem to remember they were unbelievably expensive.

Steve Peat ran the gear system on his DH rig for a while ('Airlines' springs to mind) but it never took off. Don't remember brakes though.

Edit:

2038980300_dc4abefec5.jpg

Anyone spot the minor design problem?

53618-10.jpg

Slick. Real slick.

Design flaws, where shall we start?

Aside from the fact that a pressurised canister is fastened by cable ties and the weight of adding a canister and valves, I'm thinking the placement on the downtube (well known for avoiding hard obstacles of course...) isn't the greatest idea either.