Helmet/no Helmet! :o

kyeo00

adapta-helmet.jpg

I'm going to buy one of these for day to day use. It's not worth the risk.

This shit's getting scary, I'm not sure if I want to get up from my desk now. :unsure:

Get one of them big bubble things, that'll protect you for sure (you then WON'T be able to move from your desk)

I know what your saying about my posts (and I don't mean to sound like a tabloid article), but IMO trials is a sport that involves a lot of risk, and personally I wouldn't want to risk a fall and skull fracture simply because I didn't wear something as small as a helmet. I don't understand how some people can ride all the time, especially the big riders, without a helmet.

Frooty

I'm not going to sit and preach to people to wear a helmet, as at the end of the day you know exactly what you're signing up for by not putting one on, just thought it might be worth pointing out that...

This is acceptable at a low standard like me, but i see, the best of the best doing it.. :o

It's barbaric!

...kinda misses the point. You're just as likely to fall off/have an awkward stack when you're new to trials as you are once you've got a heap of experience behind you.

I read a great article about the use of helmets a while back, and i think it'll help inform people on the subject, so i'll quote:

I'm not going to start by saying that you're an idiot for not wearing a helmet. Instead, I'll present the way I think about trials and safety.

The thoughts that guide me are the following: I enjoy trials, I do it because it's great fun. I understand the risks involved. Therefore: I want a way to enjoy without permanent consequences.

I don't care about a scratch or two, I'm talking about not being able to ride for months or big time screw-ups like having problems maintaining balance, remaining blind for the rest of your life or dealing with never-ending amnesia, and all of that because your head hit the concrete just when you were about to bail that 5ft drop like you usually do.. Or because you were riding down your street and your slipped on a wet pile of leaves or hit a wall when some kid ran out from between two parked cars or hit the sign at bus-stop (hi Danny! :-). There are so many picturesque brain-damage related injuries -- you don't want to get me started.

It doesn't matter where you ride, how long you ride and whether you are on a bike for the first time in your life -- it can happen anywhere. Nota bene: you are NOT wearing a helmet because you expect to be crashing every few rides. You are wearing it because you expect one bad crash in 6 years. It's all about one crash, but since you don't know when it'll happen, you have to always wear it.

I needed my helmet about 3 times last year, and without it I'd be seriously injured and wouldn't be writing this. I'm lucky because my occasional crashes remind me to keep wearing it. Don't be lulled into false security! ALWAYS wear a helmet . Besides, they won't let you enter any competition if you don't have one.

Edited by Kiwi

Nota bene: you are NOT wearing a helmet because you expect to be crashing every few rides. You are wearing it because you expect one bad crash in 6 years. It's all about one crash, but since you don't know when it'll happen, you have to always wear it.

That sums it up perfectly!

Frooty

Edited by fruitbat

Someone by me wasnt on a bike was just walking

He fell off a curb and twisted his ankle and smashed his head off the curb too

He fractured his skull and got a blood clot in his brain and died later that day

THIS SHOWS HOW DANGEROUS IT IS WALKING let alone on a bike hopping around

Helmets *** , end of

Josh

This is coming from the person who never rides with a helmet on...

This is coming from the person who never rides with a helmet on...

Yeah you're right!

That seems hard to believe if you've witnessed something like that..

and you still don't wear a helmet?..

Surely, you would be like... petrified of not wearing a helmet?

Mat.

GL WITH TRIALS! :D

I never used to wear a helmet but after your head has bounced of the concrete a few times you realise they are a good investment last time i done it i was out cold for a good 10-15 mins and concust. Since then i wear my helmet a lot more often but still not as much as i should.

I recommend we ALL wear a helmet.

This is what happened to me at a skatepark in February:

23k6fbo.jpg

33v0y7l.jpg

11brhvl.jpg

I broke my nose, both cheek bones,

the bottom part of my jaw, my neck [had to wear a neck brace for 4 weeks!]

And I cracked the bone infront of my sinus (on my forehead) in half, which means I needed to have an operation to cover up the crack with the membrane infront of my brain to basically save my life (stop me from getting meningitus).

I was not wearing a helmet ..

Im pretty slack about wearing a helmet, if I have one in my car I'll chuck it on, but if im only doing spins and jump boxes and ups i won't bother, only really concoius about wearing one when I gap.

Youv'e shown those pictures and stuff but still it doesn't make me think, shit, i must wear a helmet every single time i step on a bike. I fell off my bike got impailed on the bar and nearly died from a ruptured spleen, but have I ever worn any body protection before it or since... no.

Its all about knowing yourself, and on the few occassions that i have hit my head i've always had a lid on.

Level of riding: Shit

Edited by Simpson

How did you crash? What were you doing?

I was literally only getting air on a quater pipe.

Silly mistake, got too much speed and went up at the wrong angle,

and due to that, instead of coming down ON the ramp, went straight off the side.

So fell about 7 or 8 feet straight onto tarmac and straight onto my face.

Jesus Christ!

THOSE PICTURES ARE CRAZY!

I hope you're ok man :''(

How long after that did you start trialsing?..

If you have yet?..

Mat.

GET WELL SOON!

Thanks man :) Yeah i'm fine now, just got a real nice long scar accross the top of my head from the op,

and a nice raised scar on my chin where I had a nice 1/4 inch deep gash.

And I got my trials bike in April so only let myself recover for 2 months

I can't stay away from bikes! :P

I was literally only getting air on a quater pipe.

Silly mistake, got too much speed and went up at the wrong angle,

and due to that, instead of coming down ON the ramp, went straight off the side.

So fell about 7 or 8 feet straight onto tarmac and straight onto my face.

Thanks man :) Yeah i'm fine now, just got a real nice long scar accross the top of my head from the op,

and a nice raised scar on my chin where I had a nice 1/4 inch deep gash.

And I got my trials bike in April so only let myself recover for 2 months

I can't stay away from bikes! :P

Hahah! Good lad!

That's some nasty gashes..

Worst i've ever done was on my mountain bike..

Going at about 10mph+ and fell straight off the back..

Hit my leg on the pedals (metal) and got like a 30cm averagely deep cut straight though my shin. :/

Was pretty bad..

Mostly because i was like.. 10miles from home :D

Had to limp back :/

:D

GL WITH TRIALS MAN!

keep in touch! ;)

:)

Personally, I'd never wear a helmet unless I could do something which requires one.

I know it sounds ironic but because I am a newbie to trials biking, I will never wear one until I have the basics out the way.

Good idea!

But, alot of damage can be done just by falling of from standing :/

End of the day- your decision.

I'd find it hard just to be sat there and fall off and break my head :P

But, i've heard it happens :)

Mat.

Good idea!

But, alot of damage can be done just by falling of from standing :/

End of the day- your decision.

I'd find it hard just to be sat there and fall off and break my head :P

But, i've heard it happens :)

Mat.

So, true. My old fart experience won't change anyone's mind, but here goes...

From years of skateboarding, the worst crashes always seemed to happen when rolling slowly. Nothing could happen, right? Well, being bulletproof, 17 and stag-confident, we always met our match after a good day of hucking stairs and loading docks, whatever. Gingerly pace, talking sh!t and whatnot. Then someone would inevitably hit a small stone, monkey ball or whatever. Smack!

It always happened when you'd not be expecting, which made it worse. That's the beauty of it. Concrete always wins regardless of your inhuman experience.

Go for the no helmet approach, I really don't care. Your life. Just promise me you're an organ donor so we can get in the lottery for your left overs. Hehe. =p

Edited by Tappets

So, true. My old fart experience won't change anyone's mind, but here goes...

From years of skateboarding, the worst crashes always seemed to happen when rolling slowly. Nothing could happen, right? Well, being bulletproof, 17 and stag-confident, we always met our match after a good day of hucking stairs and loading docks, whatever. Gingerly pace, talking sh!t and whatnot. Then someone would inevitably hit a small stone, monkey ball or whatever. Smack!

It always happened when you'd not be expecting, which made it worse. That's the beauty of it. Concrete always wins regardless of your inhuman experience.

Go for the no helmet approach, I really don't care. Your life. Just promise me you're an organ donor so we can get in the lottery for your left overs. Hehe. =p

+1

You're just as likely to fall off/have an awkward stack when you're new to trials as you are once you've got a heap of experience behind you.

To be honest I'd say you're far more likely to have an awkward stack when you're new to trials. With time and plenty of bails comes the cat like reflexes that allows you in most cases to save yourself and your bike without damaging yourself too much. However this takes time and it's just not worth the risk to be fair.

I was bad and never wore a helmet for years and years. Luckily never actually needed one but these days I basically don't go out without one.

Where a helmet. :-