Need Some Advice (broken Frame)

sayshell

So I snapped my bionic b2r after about 2-3 months of riding on it. I broke it 360ing a 3 set and I landed it perfectly to so I imagine it was caused by previous fatigue. Anyways I have come to a problem that their is no 20" street frames. Danny mac rides a trials frame and can do 20 foot drops and all kinda of huge spins and not have his frame snap. The main problem is geometry. I rode a toxsin 20.1 for 2 years and it works fine strength wise but the geo gave me a permanent wrist injury and its way to short. I am looking for something with 1000mm wb and 350 chainstays. the only other option I can find is zhi frames which are the same as bionic as its the same company and the because simple frame. Anyone have any suggestions? my bionic b2r is the best feeling bike I have ever ridden I just want a stronger version of the frame. The frame I am looking at is the onza limey. Does anyone know anything about this frame and if its a good choice? That area of the frame its broken in looks much stronger. I always break frames there cause I do 180s lots.

PIC_0409.jpg

PIC_0410.jpg

Edited by sayshell

It might be because of the sus forks.

what sus fork? its ridgid. It broke past the gusset so the flaw in the frame design is either the type of aluminum is too weak or the tubing needs to be butted in that area, cause the welds seem to be intact fine.

Edited by sayshell

what sus fork? its ridgid. It broke past the gusset so the flaw in the frame design is either the type of aluminum is too weak or the tubing needs to be butted in that area, cause the welds seem to be intact fine.

Oh didn't now you run rigids now. In that case I don't have a clue?

Its broken on the weld, the welding process creates a HAZ (Heat Affected Zone) from the pool of molten metal which results in a grain restructure and builds in an inherant weakness. Unless its a bad weld, it will never crack through the weld bead itself.

At the end of the day its built to be lightweight and such thin tubes wont take a hammering, dont know what frame to suggest, you could try something like caelifera and get a frame with custom geo made up.

Anyways I have come to a problem that their is no 20" street frames. Danny mac rides a trials frame and can do 20 foot drops and all kinda of huge spins and not have his frame snap.

I wouldn't be so sure!

Anyway looking at your picture it looks like you're running a front brake only? :blink:

If so, do you even ride trials on it?

I'd recommend the best 20inch to go for would probably be a bmx! :)

Edit: too slow

Edited by nichols_sam

probably be easier just to get a bmx dude...or lay off the spins, most modern trials frames aren't really meant to handle abuse in that direction :S

Anyway, you noticed how many different coloured inspired's danny mac rode in that infamous video? Methinks he went through a fair few of them.....

Onza Limey really wouldnt be a good idea, thats a pretty much comp specific bike.

either BMX or maybe a custom marino frame? that way you can always weld it if it starts to go....or just specify butting in that place (Y)

There are 20" street frames, they're called BMXs...

Seriously though, couldn't you use a BMX frame and build a trials/BMX hybrid thing?

getting hs-33s mounted is the main problem. I also prefer the wide rear wheel. What it comes down to is that feeling of control. I once had a bmx rear wheel on my mod but I felt a lot less stable.

The geo difference from a bmx and mod is just milimeters. The main thing is just bmxes have shorter top tubes but you can buy long bmxes. What I have always wanted for a bike is a cross between a mountain bike and bmx. Bmx in the sense you can spin well and its light, mountain bike in the sense it has good control feels safe and is soft when you land. I think my current bike is that it feels perfect to me all the parts on my build have lasted a long time its just I either have to have a bad geo frame or a weak one. GRRR

Edited by sayshell

Anyway looking at your picture it looks like you're running a front brake only? :blink:

If so, do you even ride trials on it?

He's Canadian- it's a rear brake (Y).

Anyway, you noticed how many different coloured inspired's danny mac rode in that infamous video? Methinks he went through a fair few of them.....

One black one which he used to ride then a blue one when the new colours became available? To be honest I have no idea if Danny has cracked or broken any frames, I guess he must've but from what I've seen he doesn't go through them massively quickly. Inner tubes are another matter though...

Think your best off with an inspired then (Y)

Toooo late... He had one and sold it.