August 09 Issue Of Mbuk Magazine Out Now!

Rusevelt

No i dont think it did mate. But i do have one question. Why is mbuk so full of s**t these days? Gone are the days of regular trials articles now were reduced to the hip hop section and thats it! The london article was good, not long enough though! They seem to fill the whole mag now with boring articles on all mountain riding, yawn! And the rest of the mag bumming steve peat. I did think that the london article could of done with pictures of the unknown riders in action!

Your absolutely right about mbuk, but this is nothing new to most of us here. No one is prepared to risk donating free pics to mbuk in fear that they will never be shown. But the pics of akrigg in july issue are certainly worth looking at. Ps, akrigg's bike is no longer orange but now green.

Just flicked through it earlier today at my local Whsmiths, quality pics of akrigg riding his local natural spot. Didn't buy it because the rest of the magazine is typically sh*te.

(Y)

No i dont think it did mate. But i do have one question. Why is mbuk so full of s**t these days? Gone are the days of regular trials articles now were reduced to the hip hop section and thats it! The london article was good, not long enough though! They seem to fill the whole mag now with boring articles on all mountain riding, yawn! And the rest of the mag bumming steve peat. I did think that the london article could of done with pictures of the unknown riders in action!

:giggle:

That mag has been shite for years. When I was a nipper in school I could not wait for it to come out, I can't remember the last one I bothered buying, just go to the Local WHS library for 10 mins and I like XC

Matt

What do you expect, a magazine full of trials? The trials scene is tiny in comparison to XC/DH/All Mountain/FR/whatever other shit genre's of riding are around so you can't really complain. Nothing major ever really happens in the trials world in my opinion, a few worlds rounds, nationals which are usually covered, and that's about it. They can't cover every single street ride that happens. Plus what do you want MBUK for if you've got TF, you get all the news on here, as it happens pretty much, with the odd exception of stuff like this Akrigg feature, almost everything else is on here first.

Plus what do you want MBUK for if you've got TF, you get all the news on here, as it happens pretty much, with the odd exception of stuff like this Akrigg feature, almost everything else is on here first.

The advantage of mags is their prestige and recognised importance - they have status that grants them access to the biggest names, and therefore should try and use that to do more articles featuring them in some way. That can be interviews, any features at all on them, how they live, etc. There's a lot of scope. They could easily run one decent sized trials article a month + Hip-Hop buuuuuuut that would require people who can actually shoot photos and write stories that aren't shit on a monthly basis, which they don't have. Bearing in mind it's generally someone like Mike S getting asked to do one off features for them, since Chris stopped shooting for them as much and that Paul ____ dude stopped doing work for them, there's basically been no-one, so consistent coverage isn't going to happen.

If you want a trials magazine, then buy Trial Magazine. :giggle:

Trials is a tiny sport in the UK compared to mountain biking, and the clue is in the name really...

I think that it's good of them to cover trials at all, maybe it's just round here but within a 50 mile radius of my house there must be at least 10 mountain biking clubs who get 25+ riders every weekend.

Whereas for trials, theres me, my brother who has a bike but rides maybe once every couple of months. My mate is the only serious rider, he's sponsored and rides comps a lot.

I actually know more roadies from round here than trials riders, and I've never ridden road with any of the clubs.

What do you think MBUK stands for? :lol:

MBUK is just doddy posing, doddy posing, doddy posing, doddy posing, doddy posing, doddy posing, doddy posing, doddy posing, doddy posing, doddy posing, and doddy posing and i bit of a crap review on products no one can afford.

Guys i wasnt trying to say they should fill the mag with trials! I was trying to point out that there is other areas of mountain biking. Not just DH and all mountain. It would be nice to see Street riding, dirt jumping and so on. And maybe review some trials frames and products in the new products section. They used to have alot of trials in the mag a few years ago.

Just flicked through it earlier today at my local Whsmiths, quality pics of akrigg riding his local natural spot. Didn't buy it because the rest of the magazine is typically sh*te.

yeah its cool, and the rest of the magazine is not sh*te! When you are into mountain biking and trials like me :)

I hate Doddy.

I hate this new Rick guy too.

how can you hate them, when you dont even know them. And mbuk is class! I agree i would really like to see more trials in it but stop slagging off the magazine just because you only like trials!

If you want a trials magazine, then buy Trial Magazine. :giggle:

Because the bike trial sections in it suck, it always features misprints and usually sounds as though it has been copied and pasted from a converted French trials site.

Whether Trials is big enough or not, they still manage to produce a 2 page spread of trials news (and even a lot of that is condensed down), so it's not about trials being boring. For quite a large magazine they should be able to put at least one trials write up along with the usual trials section.

Am I right in thinking that MBUK was a massive influence on the older generation of riders, introducing Ashton and Hawes, yes to be fair it was modified XC but they still documented it and made it into trials, that was featured in the mags, so why not now?

and i bit of a crap review on products no one can afford.

Definitely in for the crap reviews, I was reading an old copy at work the other day (probably around 06/07), they were reviewing pretty much every hydraulic disc brake on the market very top it said "We have not included cable discs, as the most expensive cable disc doesn't even compare with the cheapest hydraulic disc."

Edited by Captain Scarlet

MBUK is a mountain bike magazine , not a trials magazine.

Why does everyone take walking into a shop a buying something to read so seriously?

If your not into bikes/mountainbiking dont buy it.

Trials realy doesnt need anymore coverage anyhows, its doing ok.

Because the bike trial sections in it suck, it always features misprints and usually sounds as though it has been copied and pasted from a converted French trials site.

Whether Trials is big enough or not, they still manage to produce a 2 page spread of trials news (and even a lot of that is condensed down), so it's not about trials being boring. For quite a large magazine they should be able to put at least one trials write up along with the usual trials section.

Am I right in thinking that MBUK was a massive influence on the older generation of riders, introducing Ashton and Hawes, yes to be fair it was modified XC but they still documented it and made it into trials, that was featured in the mags, so why not now?

Definitely in for the crap reviews, I was reading an old copy at work the other day (probably around 06/07), they were reviewing pretty much every hydraulic disc brake on the market very top it said "We have not included cable discs, as the most expensive cable disc doesn't even compare with the cheapest hydraulic disc."

Although a large part of the Trial Mag biketrial stuff is from France there is a good reason for it... the support from the UK trade has been crap!! Jack Meek has co-operated with a some large articles but John at the mag relies on interest and input from either the trade or the riders... if you put together a good story or have a good idea for the biketrial side then contact him and see if you can get it sorted. Getting any support from the uk biketrial trade seems to be almost a no starter... or at least bloody hard work.

MBUK is just doddy posing, doddy posing, doddy posing, doddy posing, doddy posing, doddy posing, doddy posing, doddy posing, doddy posing, doddy posing, and doddy posing and i bit of a crap review on products no one can afford.

Because Doddy is quite clearly a total and utter wanker. I can't stand the sight of him for some reason but I too hate him.

What happened to the girl with the tits?

She was good, anyone remember her name?

Matt