Gears Hmmm......

Matt Vandart

I've finally started getting on with my Brisa frame and seeing as I like natural trials bestest, I have been thinking of putting gears on ma machine.

Thing is Six or 9 speed?

I'm thinking six.

Rear mech? I've got a sora short cage I used to use but to be honest it's pretty heavy, and I have put alot of effort/money into loosing that.

What other mechs are light+reliable?

Seen the tryall one but that is a bit on the expensive side..........

I don't really want to spend over £150 tops.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Matt

I run gears on both hardtail and trials bike yeah there is extra weight and a bit of extra complexity but after riding a single speed jump bike for years its sooooo nice havin gears again! Makes a bike a bit more versitile in my opinion! But its your choice mate.

yeah, but, gears were a requirement in comps till recently, now it is optional. they are there for a reason.

Notice how none of the top comp riders really seem to run them any more? They're one more part to f**k up, you've got to mess around changing them (e.g. if you need to be in a different gear, gotta change the gear, do a little hop to kick the pedals to get it to change), not to mention not being able to get comfortable with knowing how your bike's going to feel in a certain situation. Even something as minor as changing crank length meant it took me a while to get used to riding at stuff again 'cos what my mind thought was a pedal-stroke's distance from something wasn't the same any more, so having to constantly be getting used to it would suck.

If you want to have a 'getting around' gear you could just get a cassette, strip it down so you've got the smallest sprocket, then use some spacers to make a two-sprocket cassette? That way you've got the gear you're going to use normally (Which you'll find you will do if you run gears anyway), and then one to get around, but without the extra weight of a full cassette setup, or indeed hassle.

Notice how none of the top comp riders really seem to run them any more? They're one more part to f**k up, you've got to mess around changing them (e.g. if you need to be in a different gear, gotta change the gear, do a little hop to kick the pedals to get it to change), not to mention not being able to get comfortable with knowing how your bike's going to feel in a certain situation. Even something as minor as changing crank length meant it took me a while to get used to riding at stuff again 'cos what my mind thought was a pedal-stroke's distance from something wasn't the same any more, so having to constantly be getting used to it would suck.

If you want to have a 'getting around' gear you could just get a cassette, strip it down so you've got the smallest sprocket, then use some spacers to make a two-sprocket cassette? That way you've got the gear you're going to use normally (Which you'll find you will do if you run gears anyway), and then one to get around, but without the extra weight of a full cassette setup, or indeed hassle.

Might try this Idea.

Any Ideas on good/reliable/light mechs?

MAtt