Standard Or Intergrated Headset?

Scott Gibbs

Im in the process of ordering a custom marino 24" trials rig and i want to know the pros and cons of each type of headset. Thanks guys.

Also can anyone reccomend a good bmx rear hub? Not profile or chris king as they are way out of my price range!

Edited by bender b rodreguez

I'd say standard, integrated arn't all that if you ask me.

Mind you the only two I've ever used have been Onza ones in Onza frames, and they had the have the headset way over tensioned to mask the effect of the cups moving about in the frame.

I'd go external over internal (if that's what you meant). But only ever had one internal frame over several external.

Primo Mix.

Agree. 14mm only. But a tad more engagement over Profile but with more reliability in engagement and generally over all. Ti axle upgrade available too if your worried about weight. But only 8t 9t and 10t currently available. If you want bigger cogs then King or Profile are your only way for decent engagement. Alternately a rear Eno.

I'd go external over internal (if that's what you meant). But only ever had one internal frame over several external.

Agree. 14mm only. But a tad more engagement over Profile but with more reliability in engagement and generally over all. Ti axle upgrade available too if your worried about weight. But only 8t 9t and 10t currently available. If you want bigger cogs then King or Profile are your only way for decent engagement. Alternately a rear Eno.

yeah that was what i ment dude. I have an internal on my gt hardtail and a external on my saracen and i cant tell much difference just the gt looks neater!

Whats the sort of price of the oddessey hazzard hub? I have been readin reviews about them and they seem to be good quality hubs.

They're a good price on this site here mate: http://www.alansbmx.com/product_info.php?m...01739f89f356f4d

Also have a look at Proper hubs, they're very strong and pretty light for the money (Y)

They're a good price on this site here mate: http://www.alansbmx.com/product_info.php?m...01739f89f356f4d

Also have a look at Proper hubs, they're very strong and pretty light for the money (Y)

yeah... proper magneti are the shit :) i ran one on my aitken for 2 yrs solid. great engagement and strong. this version is quite light too. well worth checkin out...

If you've never had a problem with your internal and think it's looks better then why not? Plus there's quite a few companies doing internal on their Pro range trials frames.

As for bmx cassettes, seriously do not get a Proper, WTP or Hazard. The Hazard and the Proper have 3 pawls operating at one time using one spring. Not the ideal for trials. The WTP is a great design for bmx but not for trials, they lack engagement, i couldn't say how much but it's not allot by far. The Primo or Profile is definitely the way forward for this application. Ask any trials rider who rides bmx or visa versa.

Yeah although I loved my WTP Supreme hub on my BMX I wouldn't use one for trials. Go FFW or get something proper like a Profile/King. It's worth it in the long run, my mate killed his Odyssey Hazard hub that he had on the back of his mod in about a dozen rides.