Pro2 Freehub On A Mod

Captain Scarlet

Right after no joy of ringing Hope and asking if they would make a custom Pro2 or have any intentions to release one in the near future, I thought I'd ask on the forum to see if anyone got Pro2 rear hub fitted into 20" dropouts.

I know Swindlehurst has one fitted, but the way it has be modified means the disc rotor spacing is completely wrong (my only issue here as I'm running dual disc).

I am in need of a good rear wheel build, and my freewheel sounds like its on its last legs, so to kill two birds with one stone,

Has anyone adapted a Pro2 for mod spacing, with a working disc?

There was this topic about a mod Hope hub. So it's probably worth a read if you have some time.

There's always a King, that's if you like King hubs and have money. But they do require playing around with spacers for the disk calliper. And there's also Profile, but hard to get hold of in the UK.

But i wouldn't hold your breath for an easy ride.

I had a bit of a look at doing this when I had my Pro2 apart, and it looks to me like you'd have to have a redesigned drive shell. It has 3 bearings in there already, and to get the drive shell small enough you could only run one of them, which tells me it might die a bit faster.

What it need in my opinion, is two of those bearings but pressed in from either side, with a 4-5mm shoulder to stop them actually touching.

It can be done, but you'd need a proper machining centre. Hope needs to get its arse into gear, how they can't see that this would sell amazingly well is a mistery to me.

This would also be good for modstock riders like me :) . I'd imagine this would sell really well as it is alot cheaper than a King but the quality is just as good. I think we should put together a vote then give the feedback to Hope and hopefully they will see the light and produce it.

This would also be good for modstock riders like me :) . I'd imagine this would sell really well as it is alot cheaper than a King but the quality is just as good. I think we should put together a vote then give the feedback to Hope and hopefully they will see the light and produce it.

+1

Awesome idea because every single person is going to vote yes to making one.

Cheers for the input on this.

As much as I would like a King it is a bit out of reach of my budget, and profile isn't disc compatible.

Hope have the market in their hands here (admittedly it is a small market) but there is no freehub for 20" wheels with a disc mount as standard.

And of course there may be a large demand from the BMX market.

See i wasn't lying :P

I enquired about one, but the shop never got back to me. Assholes. Also due to the current exchange rate i wasn't keen on buying from US. It worked out just under £200 posted if i remember rightly :(

[edit]

I will point out the obvious. If you already have fixed cranks, maybe buying a King won't work out much more expensive if at all.

Edited by eskimo

There's always a King, that's if you like King hubs and have money. But they do require playing around with spacers for the disk calliper. And there's also Profile, but hard to get hold of in the UK.

I run less caliper spacers on the rear with my Koxx/Hope/King than I do on the front with my Dob forks/Hope/Monty hub :P

we should all bulk email the claiming demand! imagine the bmx market if they made a non disk one, the race scene would jizz all over them. My mate (bummxer) raped his profile the other weekend, hes now waiting weeks for he bit he needs cause its from america. hope'd be able to produce bits sooner etc...

Surely lopping down the fhub to just take a single sprocket, cutting down the axle and basically shutting it back up would do it? Need some machining but meh!

Or, get a 20" wheel frame with 135 spacing, such as a leeson.

machining it down = raped warrenty. do they still even make leesons? arent they well expensive..

I run less caliper spacers on the rear with my Koxx/Hope/King than I do on the front with my Dob forks/Hope/Monty hub :P

Proved wrong again >_<

machining it down = raped warrenty. do they still even make leesons? arent they well expensive..

No and yes.

Quality is NOTHING like a king, king are much more reliable.

Thats opinion not fact. I've snapped one spring in my Pro2, whilst I know people that have broken their kings several times.

The machning quality is amazing, you'd struggle to get much better when mass producing stuff.

Quality is NOTHING like a king, king are much more reliable.

but when you compare cost and convenience, the king is way more expensive so you'd expect it. but when the shit hits the fan and your hub chomps up its internals, which is easier to get sorted?

And of course there may be a large demand from the BMX market.

There wouldn't be. It's going to be more expensive than what's around, you couldn't get a 9t driver on it, you couldn't run a proper hub-guard on it, and the axle wouldn't hold up to pegs all that well. It'd also only be available in RHD, which means you'd miss out on all the people running LHD...