Bike Boxes- Need Advice Please

† CETFLY †

Ive decided that, from lack of demand and interest on the Onza Woodstock Ive been trying to sell, I'll have to take it home with me.

I picked up a couple of bike boxes today which are each too narrow, width-wise, to fit my trials bike in.

They're 190mm wide. I need at least 250. My frame wont even fit in it as-is!

What bike boses have you guys used in the past?

Need to know really quickly as we need to pack the bikes up ready for sending home

Cheers boys

Wes

Bike boxes are pretty generic, so it'll be trial and error really. Saying that, a frame will only be a little over 140mm wide due to the rear end spacing. How are you unable to fit it in if the box is 190mm? Even with a wheel next to the widest point that's only going to be around the 190 mark, surely?

If needs be, cut a side of each and stick them together into an uberbox :P

Bike boxes are pretty generic, so it'll be trial and error really. Saying that, a frame will only be a little over 140mm wide due to the rear end spacing. How are you unable to fit it in if the box is 190mm? Even with a wheel next to the widest point that's only going to be around the 190 mark, surely?

If needs be, cut a side of each and stick them together into an uberbox :P

Whats going on with this forums website? Why is it going back to the terrible, hard to view one reply per click links??

It was so much better when you just simply scroll down and read what everyones said instead of having to actually go through one at a time and then having to go back to re-read what people have said etc.

Anyway, back to boxes.

I cant get the frame in mate. Its the exact outside width of the box.

You've never had a bike box sent over long distances I see from your reply ;):P

These boxes get TRASHED. They get crushed, squashed, everthing

Bike boxes just get hammered by lazy airport baggage handlers. They simply dont care as they throw your bike where it has to go.

My mountain bike, on arrival to the UK from the US, was pretty hammered. The box had some holes/big tears in it.

Thank God the guy I bought it off had his LBS pack it. It was heavily, heavily, HEAVILY packed with solid blocks of foam (to stop the box being crushed sideways, denting the frame), bubble-wrapped to death and came safely to me.

I need to allow for side impacts, squashing etc or this frame will be a very expensive scrap of scrap ally.

I need a one or two inches (ideally) either side of the frame to allow for packing.

I can see now theres no chance of me fitting two frames in the one box :(

Thank God

Yeah, 'cos he'll help... I jest, I jest. But seriously, he wont help.

Bike boxes all tend to be similar widths, it's only the height and length that change considerably. All you can do is pack it as well as you can by wrapping the tubes in like pipe lagging foam stuff, making sure it's packed out with scrap cardboard or foam or whatever and maybe stick a load of 'FRAGILE' stickers on it, although that might only help to get it treated roughly... What are the options for shipping it with a proper courier company rather than leaving it to baggage handlers? I know TartyBikes send completes all over the world and they seem to arrive in one piece and can't be extortionate...

Can i be rude enough to ask if you have taken your pedals and/or cranks off. If your pedals are not off those cranks then get them off. I have never had any problems fitting a trials bike in any bike box that i have used. In fact most of the time i have had to cut the box to lower its size.

Yeah, 'cos he'll help... I jest, I jest. But seriously, he wont help.

Bike boxes all tend to be similar widths, it's only the height and length that change considerably. All you can do is pack it as well as you can by wrapping the tubes in like pipe lagging foam stuff, making sure it's packed out with scrap cardboard or foam or whatever and maybe stick a load of 'FRAGILE' stickers on it, although that might only help to get it treated roughly... What are the options for shipping it with a proper courier company rather than leaving it to baggage handlers? I know TartyBikes send completes all over the world and they seem to arrive in one piece and can't be extortionate...

Yes "He" will and does help. Has been a lot lately :)

Anyway, yeah I agree with the Tarty comment. I need to ring Tarty and ask them how they send them.

I think with Airline companies, they tell you they arent responsible for any broken or damaged property stored in the cargo hold of the plane. Things move around etc.

I just know these frames have wide back ends (135mm axles) plus frame thickness.

The last thing I need is a bent frame.

I really need to get some of those frame separators.... that replace the hub in the dropouts. Theyre made of strong plastic and keep the frame open.

Top right, options, display mode, switch to: standard

Mate....youre a champion among men. THAT was driving me nuts. Thank you.

Can i be rude enough to ask if you have taken your pedals and/or cranks off. If your pedals are not off those cranks then get them off. I have never had any problems fitting a trials bike in any bike box that i have used. In fact most of the time i have had to cut the box to lower its size.

Hahaha of course I have mate ;)

Its purely the rear end of the frame which is my concern.

To me it seems I'll just have to put some hard cardboard sections lining the inside rear end for the frame to not be damaged.

Heres how it is curently.

post-22607-1244636103_thumb.jpg

I cant get the frame in mate. Its the exact outside width of the box.

You've never had a bike box sent over long distances I see from your reply ;):P

These boxes get TRASHED. They get crushed, squashed, everthing

Bike boxes just get hammered by lazy airport baggage handlers. They simply dont care as they throw your bike where it has to go.

My mountain bike, on arrival to the UK from the US, was pretty hammered. The box had some holes/big tears in it.

Thank God the guy I bought it off had his LBS pack it. It was heavily, heavily, HEAVILY packed with solid blocks of foam (to stop the box being crushed sideways, denting the frame), bubble-wrapped to death and came safely to me.

I need to allow for side impacts, squashing etc or this frame will be a very expensive scrap of scrap ally.

I need a one or two inches (ideally) either side of the frame to allow for packing.

I can see now theres no chance of me fitting two frames in the one box :(

A bike box is designed to get a bike in, so it'll go! How else do shops get spanking new, unscathed bikes in from overseas?

I've had bikes on planes before a couple of times, thanks. With decent packing and spacers in the frame it's fine, especially with trials kit. If it were some carbon fibre, 0.2kg frame with no downtube then maybe you'd need to be more worried about it. Perhaps look into external insurance if you're that worried. Hell, it's not a whole world different to sending frames or bikes via courier like hundreds of us do around the country fairly regularly, with very few issues.

Maybe you've got a roadie box so the rear end spacing will be a bit thinner. Go get a man box.

afadf

aye, just put the sides with a bit of extra cardboard. although to stop the stays being flexed you could try and get hold of an old axle or something, just to keep the frame rigid. Another option is just find anything that will sit bettween the stays perfectly withough movement. This will stop any flex / possible damage.

then pad that box out with lots of old newspapers or pipe insulation. People love that when they have to empty out a box of it lol.

A bike box is designed to get a bike in, so it'll go! How else do shops get spanking new, unscathed bikes in from overseas?

I've had bikes on planes before a couple of times, thanks. With decent packing and spacers in the frame it's fine, especially with trials kit. If it were some carbon fibre, 0.2kg frame with no downtube then maybe you'd need to be more worried about it. Perhaps look into external insurance if you're that worried. Hell, it's not a whole world different to sending frames or bikes via courier like hundreds of us do around the country fairly regularly, with very few issues.

Maybe you've got a roadie box so the rear end spacing will be a bit thinner. Go get a man box.

My apologies on the freight part I mentioned before mate.

Its different going within the country as generally they use couriers. When youre on a 27hour flight with a couple of stop overs, they dont care about peoples things and just throw them in.

Yeah, thats what I thought too about the frame box.

This box is the same width as the one my mountain bike came in from the US. That box was hammered. Had large holes in the side from impacts and you could easily put your hand in if you wanted and grab anything you could reach. I dont want a repeat of that :P

I'll use the other old bike box of mine, cut it up and line the inside. I'll try to somehow get some solid foam (not stirofoam) blocks to push in to give the box some side-impact bracing and strength to maintain its shape.

Edited by † CETFLY †