Marino Frames

sideburns(dnt ask)

Easy guys,

I'm considering buying a marino custom frame but i have a small problem in that im cluless when it comes to the geometry of a bike.

So i was wondering if anyone on here could help me out a little with explaining it ect.

Peace

EDIT, Anyone got any info in the marino frames like strength weight ect?

Edited by sideburns(dnt ask)

Easy guys,

I'm considering buying a marino custom frame but i have a small problem in that im cluless when it comes to the geometry of a bike.

So i was wondering if anyone on here could help me out a little with explaining it ect.

Peace

EDIT, Anyone got any info in the marino frames like strength weight ect?

I like this Thread =]

I too am clueless about the correct Geometry of a trials bike, and after ALOT of push from the other riders on forum, I may just be about ready to take the jump from my belovedTrials modded P.3 to a purpose built frame, and I've taken a quick peek at Marino frames too. I know the Inspired frames and 24UK frames are pretty much out of the question unless I want to wait until august, so would it be possible to make a Marino frame as an exact replica?

AKA: Bump =]

You can have a marino frame how ever you want it,

inspired geo, wb 1040, bb +35, chainstay 385mm, ha 73

24uk geo, wb 1025, bb +25, chainstay 385 mm, ha 73. So if u wanted one of them thats ur geo. But you can specify pretty much anything you want for a custom build with marino. So the choice is yours!

Hey Guys,

Geometry of a trials frame is really down to personal preference. If you have friends who ride trials, try to have a shot on their bikes, see what you like.

What style of riding do you think you would like to be doing? Generally shorter frames are considered "street" trials bikes. What I mean when I say “shorter” is that the wheel axils are closer together, the bottom bracket and the head tube are closer too. These types of frames will make it easier to bunny hop, manual, spin, stuff like that...

Longer frames with a long wheel base, axils further apart, will feel allot more stable when hopping around on the back wheel and even two wheels. They may also feel lighter to hop on the back wheel. Riders who prefer to ride natural trials such as rocks in a quarry or river bed would usually opt for a longer wheel base bike as they feel it helps them negotiate the obstacles better.

What you have to do, as I’ve already said, is to have a few goes on some friend’s bikes and try and find out what you like.

The perfect geometry of a bike is sort of like the Holy Grail. Pros test different geo's all the time to see what works best for what they do.

The geometry of the frame will always be the same, but the feel of the bike can easily be altered by changing a few simple parts...Stem, bars, tire pressure, brake lever angle, gear ratio.... I find I'm always striving to find what im completely comfortable with and I've been riding for about 5 years, hopefully I’ve found what im looking for in my Marino.

Ross

Hey Guys,

Geometry of a trials frame is really down to personal preference. If you have friends who ride trials, try to have a shot on their bikes, see what you like.

What style of riding do you think you would like to be doing? Generally shorter frames are considered "street" trials bikes. What I mean when I say “shorter” is that the wheel axils are closer together, the bottom bracket and the head tube are closer too. These types of frames will make it easier to bunny hop, manual, spin, stuff like that...

Longer frames with a long wheel base, axils further apart, will feel allot more stable when hopping around on the back wheel and even two wheels. They may also feel lighter to hop on the back wheel. Riders who prefer to ride natural trials such as rocks in a quarry or river bed would usually opt for a longer wheel base bike as they feel it helps them negotiate the obstacles better.

What you have to do, as I’ve already said, is to have a few goes on some friend’s bikes and try and find out what you like.

The perfect geometry of a bike is sort of like the Holy Grail. Pros test different geo's all the time to see what works best for what they do.

The geometry of the frame will always be the same, but the feel of the bike can easily be altered by changing a few simple parts...Stem, bars, tire pressure, brake lever angle, gear ratio.... I find I'm always striving to find what im completely comfortable with and I've been riding for about 5 years, hopefully I’ve found what im looking for in my Marino.

Ross

how much is a custom build frame? Cuz i fancy a 24 with et geo and horizontal drop outs and a disc mount aswell.

how much is a custom build frame? Cuz i fancy a 24 with et geo and horizontal drop outs and a disc mount aswell.

He has a deal with marino, so my assumption would be a free frame.

From what i have heard elsewhere a custom frame will be around 150 - 180. (incl. shipping)

Hey Guys,

Ross

Well i live deep within the City so ill pretty much be riding strictly street, being an urban lad its also the look, style and feel of things i prefer too.

Would a riders weight and height come into question when choosing a frame geo?

I'm about 5'10"

9.5 stone (58kg)

With a 32" inside leg

I really enjoy riding around on my P.3 performing more streety trials moves and the geo on it really does suit me just fine. Could do with a higher BB but its a rock solid frame so a little scrape here n there does nout to it, and im a pretty light rider so the weight of it bugs me none.

Alot of the hardcore riders dissaprove of it though, so i MAY be about ready to make the jump to a new frame. Any thoughts on my bike? Should i stick with the frame or change it?

Summary is;

Thus far, no problems riding it for strictly urban trials, little frame with pretty nice Geo and suits me lovely, and its very unlikely ill be riding ANY natural trials

(Oh, and what on the quality if Marino frames? Would a Marino built Inspired replica be anywhere near the quality of the real deal?)

By the looks of it the welding on the marino looks pretty good. Probably not the neatest (that award goes to gary curtis!) as for quality you get what you pay for, but at least if it snaps you could fix it yourself with a mig welder as they are steel frames, and also i noticed that majority of street riding frames (mtb not trials) are steel as its more forgiving and bends rather than snaps like alloy.

As Ben said about 150-180 depending on what you want from the frame. The more extras you get the more expensive it will be, i.e disc mount plus 4bolt plus cable routings...all cost more for Marino to buy and weld on. Keep in mind that it will also be cheaper if you can get a friend to order one too so you can half the shipping between each other. (Y)

Well i live deep within the City so ill pretty much be riding strictly street, being an urban lad its also the look, style and feel of things i prefer too.

Would a riders weight and height come into question when choosing a frame geo?

I'm about 5'10"

9.5 stone (58kg)

With a 32" inside leg

I really enjoy riding around on my P.3 performing more streety trials moves and the geo on it really does suit me just fine. Could do with a higher BB but its a rock solid frame so a little scrape here n there does nout to it, and im a pretty light rider so the weight of it bugs me none.

Alot of the hardcore riders dissaprove of it though, so i MAY be about ready to make the jump to a new frame. Any thoughts on my bike? Should i stick with the frame or change it?

Summary is;

Thus far, no problems riding it for strictly urban trials, little frame with pretty nice Geo and suits me lovely, and its very unlikely ill be riding ANY natural trials

(Oh, and what on the quality if Marino frames? Would a Marino built Inspired replica be anywhere near the quality of the real deal?)

We all think about how the frame will "look", thats not a problem with Marino. I sent him a few photos of what I liked and he has managed to give me exactly what I want! The right colour, geo mounts bla bla, its easy. Just remember that its steel tubes he is making the frames from so your not going to get a hydrofromed/CNC beast!

Of course the height and weight come into the equation, but giving Marino your height and weight and saying, "build me a frame", isnt going to help him. If you feel like you need a certain part of the frame beefed up a little to make it stronger because your a bit of a fatty, let him know. :giggle:

It sounds like, by looking at your stats, that your not going to be destroying a frame any time soon so you should be good to go on any geo you like.

it sounds to me like your being peer pressured into getting a bike that suits your friends likes. if your having fun messing about on your P.3, keep the thing alive and beast it around like usual.

If you feel like you want something a bit special, custom, be-spoke, unique Marino it is.

Edited by Ross McArthur

Thats one of the things i like about the marino frames simple clean uncluttered looks! Just like the old pashleys! So mr marino could pretty much make a frame look like what ever u want then? Within reason obviously!

Hit the nail on the head there.

Well, the only thing thats technically wrong with the Pashley statement is that the Marino's dont have a tear drop down tube thats included on the Pashleys.

Ever liked the geo of a frame but thought, "if only it had a seat", "if only it had a disc mount", "if only it didnt have an integrated head set".......MARINO!!

:giggle: Right, enough of the Marino bumming.