Worth Buying?

duckwars

Hello. The 1st bike you mentioned, the DMR, is designed as a dirt/jump bike. The frame is designed for strength, made of steel and heavy and the componentry also. For Trials riding you will require something lighter. The 2nd bike is purely designed for Trials riding, the Meta VTT is a good quality 26" wheeled stock from a Canadian Trials manufacturer (www.meta-bikes.com). They retail in the UK for around £800, what price are they in your country? (Canada or U.S.A.?). On paper, it looks a good purchase, but do some research and ask the buyer plenty of questions regarding the condition of the bike and usage. Good luck.

Edit: erm.. I meant seller rather than buyer. Hungover. Sorry.

Edited by middleageman

Hello. The 1st bike you mentioned, the DMR, is designed as a dirt/jump bike. The frame is designed for strength, made of steel and heavy and the componentry also. For Trials riding you will require something lighter. The 2nd bike is purely designed for Trials riding, the Meta VTT is a good quality 26" wheeled stock from a Canadian Trials manufacturer (www.meta-bikes.com). They retail in the UK for around £800, what price are they in your country? (Canada or U.S.A.?). On paper, it looks a good purchase, but do some research and ask the buyer plenty of questions regarding the condition of the bike and usage. Good luck.

Edit: erm.. I meant seller rather than buyer. Hungover. Sorry.

What kind of questions should I ask specifically. I'm undergoing talks with this guy right now... really don't know how cheap I can get it.

Also, does anyone know if I could get 24" wheels into this frame? I really don't understand the requirements for putting in different size wheels.

What kind of questions should I ask specifically. I'm undergoing talks with this guy right now... really don't know how cheap I can get it.

Also, does anyone know if I could get 24" wheels into this frame? I really don't understand the requirements for putting in different size wheels.

It's possible. But you wouldn't. It's a proper trials bike, as opposed to a street trials bike. So yeah, really don't.

Hello. Regarding discussion for the Meta, is it via email or phone? If email, get him to send you the pics posted on pinkbike, they'll probably be clearer, or get him to take some more.

The reason being is your looking for Trials damage, scratches aren't a problem as they are part and parcel of Trials. Dents if small would reduce the price, large could be a problem.

The problem is there could be a crack in the frame which you wouldn't necessarily see on a photo, so you need to ask if there is any damage and get a reply you can print. Also ask for the guys phone number and speak to him. You can usually get a feel for a persons character in a conversation. I'm saying all this assuming you're not local to the person selling it? All in all the Meta VTT is a decent bike and may suit you well if Trials bikes are hard to come by in your country, of course it all comes down to price! How many dollars are they new and what you could buy it for? I'm sure someone else may offer a helping hand (or correct me if I am wrong). Good Luck. :D

Oh yeah, the bike is designed specifically for 26" wheels, if you want a 24" Trials bike, look elsewhere. (Y)

Here's a photo of a new Meta VTT.

post-21329-1241915980_thumb.jpg

Edited by middleageman

It's possible. But you wouldn't. It's a proper trials bike, as opposed to a street trials bike. So yeah, really don't.

What exactly is the difference between a street trials bike and a proper trials bike.

I take it regular trials are done in nature on rocks and stuff, where as street trials are, well, in the street.

As far as geometry and other parts go, what is the difference?

For some reason, just looking around it looks like proper trials bikes have longer wheel bases (so the bike can span between rocks easier?) and street trials bike have shorter ones (makes them more bmx'ish).

Anyway, if anyone has a link to a good thread/post about trials geometry, I'd be a much happier man.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I'm gonna end up doing 95% of my riding in city environment.

Edited by duckwars

thanks for the replies guys!

What if I could get this guy to sell me this shipped for 600$?

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/437748/

Hey guys. I saw this thread. I know youre outside the UK, but I just wanted to help anyone on here within the UK if theyre deciding to import from cheaper countries, to "save" themselves some money.

Im from Aus. I came to the UK and started looking for a full suspension bike on ebay.

They were crazily expensive in pounds for me, so i looked on ebay.com (USA)

I found the exact same bike, only much much cheaper than here. It had been privately purchased from a LBS, but was never ridden, so was new, but technically second hand.

I decided to import it.....

BIG MISTAKE!

Absolute nightmare!!

You have to pay (at the time in Jan 2008) 17.5%VAT (now 15%) and another 15% in import duty/tax's/charges of the Total cost, which includes shipping and insurance.

In the end I had to pay another 400 Pounds on top of the cost of the bike, plus postage!

It took 3months for this nightmare to end.

But I got the bike in the end and im never parting with it after all that.

Make sure you check with customs as to what youre importing and the cost.

Do not trust what the people are saying with freight. I trusted this guy and he said he's done it heaps on times before. In the end he pulled the pin on me and left me to have to pay for it even after he gave me the option to pull out of the auction- which i took straight away. He said "its your problem, im sick of this now. No more"

We reconciled in the end after it was all said and done and we're sweet now, but he was sure of his costs to send, but it will cost to receive despite what any international seller says and they will hold it till you pay up. This is more so with large items. Small small boxes/parcels etc usually fly under the radar. Bikes come through individual, private importing companies.

If its big, like a bike, you cant simply put "Gift" on it. We tried every avenue. Couldnt do it. They more avenues we tried, the more they looked into it.

Dont try to say its from a friend and youre holding it for him when he comes over, etc etc They've heard it all before.

They just flatly demand their money, or they'll take you to court and keep/destroy the item to make more space.

I hope this helps. Keep it local to be honest. Keeps the money pumping where it needs to be the most right now- in the UK. Less headaches, far less stress and at least you can test ride it if you can get on a train.

Hope all goes well with the bike hunting mate ;)

Wes

Edited by CETFLY

Hey guys. I saw this thread. I know youre outside the UK, but I just wanted to help anyone on here within the UK if theyre deciding to import from cheaper countries, to "save" themselves some money.

Im from Aus. I came to the UK and started looking for a full suspension bike on ebay.

They were crazily expensive in pounds for me, so i looked on ebay.com (USA)

I found the exact same bike, only much much cheaper than here. It had been privately purchased from a LBS, but was never ridden, so was new, but technically second hand.

I decided to import it.....

BIG MISTAKE!

Absolute nightmare!!

You have to pay (at the time in Jan 2008) 17.5%VAT (now 15%) and another 15% in import duty/tax's/charges of the Total cost, which includes shipping and insurance.

In the end I had to pay another 400 Pounds on top of the cost of the bike, plus postage!

It took 3months for this nightmare to end.

But I got the bike in the end and im never parting with it after all that.

Make sure you check with customs as to what youre importing and the cost.

Do not trust what the people are saying with freight. I trusted this guy and he said he's done it heaps on times before. In the end he pulled the pin on me and left me to have to pay for it even after he gave me the option to pull out of the auction- which i took straight away. He said "its your problem, im sick of this now. No more"

We reconciled in the end after it was all said and done and we're sweet now, but he was sure of his costs to send, but it will cost to receive despite what any international seller says and they will hold it till you pay up. This is more so with large items. Small small boxes/parcels etc usually fly under the radar. Bikes come through individual, private importing companies.

If its big, like a bike, you cant simply put "Gift" on it. We tried every avenue. Couldnt do it. They more avenues we tried, the more they looked into it.

Dont try to say its from a friend and youre holding it for him when he comes over, etc etc They've heard it all before.

They just flatly demand their money, or they'll take you to court and keep/destroy the item to make more space.

I hope this helps. Keep it local to be honest. Keeps the money pumping where it needs to be the most right now- in the UK. Less headaches, far less stress and at least you can test ride it if you can get on a train.

Hope all goes well with the bike hunting mate ;)

Wes

Wow, thanks for the warning! There is pretty much NO way for me to get it locally, but I think I will limit my buying to just in the US. Thanks.

This could be the one! I just got this email from someone off of observed trials.

"

Hey,

I have some pics of the bike for you. Here are the specs:

Frame: Planet X Zebdi

Fork: Planet X Kniffen

Seat: Planet X

Rims: Sun Rhynolite

Hubs: Redline (frt. is standard, rear is re-spaced from 110mm to 130mm. It's a

thread on hub, good for running single-speed).

Spokes: DT Swiss

Tires: WTB Velociraptor

Brakes: Hayes 9 (hydraulic disc) * Some people don't like these. If that's the

case, I can replace them with a Magura Louise front and a standard V-brake in

the rear (nothing special)

Headset: FSA Pig

Stem: Generic, 100mm X ~5 *deg

Bars: Kore (710 mm)

Cranks: Shimano (32t front)

Freewheel: 7-speed Shimano

Shifter: Shimano 7 speed trigger

Derailleur: Shimano Sora

The rear brake is bleeding off pressure. I know there is a bad o-ring on the

reservoir that I will replace- hopefully that's the problem. If not, I'll put a

v-brake on the rear and a Magura Louise hyd. disc on the front. Other than that,

the f/w needs to have a spacer (something I can do). The bike is currently

set-up as a multi-purpose bike, as I already have a dedicated trials bike. It

has a 32t front and a 7 speed rear freewheel (14-28t). If you want something

dedicated, I'll replace the cranks with a set of FSA's with a 22t and bash. You

will have to purchase a tensioner and single-speed freewheel (or use the

derailleur as a tensioner and the current freewheel set on either 18t or 20t).

The way it is set-up now is pretty versatile. It's good for getting to a spot to

ride, and geared low enough that you can still do trials stuff 32/28. It can

also be used for mountain, park, street- pretty much whatever you want. Let me

know what you think.

-Tim

"

It's 400$ plus shipping... what do you guys think?

post-22493-1242067175_thumb.jpg

post-22493-1242067207_thumb.jpg

post-22493-1242067297_thumb.jpg

I would say buy it but definately spray paint it a different colour because all black doesnt suit a BMX especially a good one! (Y)

This could be the one! I just got this email from someone off of observed trials.

"

Hey,

I have some pics of the bike for you. Here are the specs:

Frame: Planet X Zebdi

Fork: Planet X Kniffen

Seat: Planet X

Rims: Sun Rhynolite

Hubs: Redline (frt. is standard, rear is re-spaced from 110mm to 130mm. It's a

thread on hub, good for running single-speed).

Spokes: DT Swiss

Tires: WTB Velociraptor

Brakes: Hayes 9 (hydraulic disc) * Some people don't like these. If that's the

case, I can replace them with a Magura Louise front and a standard V-brake in

the rear (nothing special)

Headset: FSA Pig

Stem: Generic, 100mm X ~5 *deg

Bars: Kore (710 mm)

Cranks: Shimano (32t front)

Freewheel: 7-speed Shimano

Shifter: Shimano 7 speed trigger

Derailleur: Shimano Sora

The rear brake is bleeding off pressure. I know there is a bad o-ring on the

reservoir that I will replace- hopefully that's the problem. If not, I'll put a

v-brake on the rear and a Magura Louise hyd. disc on the front. Other than that,

the f/w needs to have a spacer (something I can do). The bike is currently

set-up as a multi-purpose bike, as I already have a dedicated trials bike. It

has a 32t front and a 7 speed rear freewheel (14-28t). If you want something

dedicated, I'll replace the cranks with a set of FSA's with a 22t and bash. You

will have to purchase a tensioner and single-speed freewheel (or use the

derailleur as a tensioner and the current freewheel set on either 18t or 20t).

The way it is set-up now is pretty versatile. It's good for getting to a spot to

ride, and geared low enough that you can still do trials stuff 32/28. It can

also be used for mountain, park, street- pretty much whatever you want. Let me

know what you think.

-Tim

"

It's 400$ plus shipping... what do you guys think?

post-22493-1242067175_thumb.jpg

post-22493-1242067207_thumb.jpg

post-22493-1242067297_thumb.jpg

Definately worth Buying and would be able to do much more with it. :)(Y)