The Swine Thread

NicP

Theres been 8 deaths in Mexico from swine flu out of a population of about 110,000,000 people.

Surely this many people would have died from just normal flu due to weak immune systems etc.?

In my opinion Its all being over exaggerated by the media, alot of scaremongery is happening just to fill up the news programmes.

When a serious amount of people start dieing,more than would die during a normal flu epidemic, then i'll take it all seriously.

Edited by Rich Hill

I think to some extent you're right. It's not particularly deadly. Some news sites were saying the day before yesterday that only one in eight people have even been hospitalised. I'm assuming that this statistic relates to Mexico, in which case this could be down the lack of facilities or something.

But regardless, my friends’ uncle was on Radio 5 this morning. He's some bio-something-or-other at Cambridge University, and he seems to think it's nothing special. I think the problem relates to the spread of the virus, rather than the repercussions of contracting the virus itself.

Kind of reminds me of how the 'link' between MMR and autism was sensationalised, although is was more of a case of it being pure lies.

Theres been 8 deaths in Mexico from swine flu

Try over 150. But yeah, much ado about nothing I'd say. It's a good way to make the general population overlook other important events though. All that rubbish about terror threats before, I imagine half of them were just made up to take the heat off of scandals and dodgy ops around the world.

am i wrong

I think if they do make it back you should lock all the doors and possibly set up a 'quarantine shed' in the front garden with biohazard signs everywhere. Could be quite amusing :P

I've got a lot of free time next weekend, I'll see what I can do.

Try over 150. But yeah, much ado about nothing I'd say. It's a good way to make the general population overlook other important events though. All that rubbish about terror threats before, I imagine half of them were just made up to take the heat off of scandals and dodgy ops around the world.

am i wrong

The bbc told me 8 deaths...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8021547.stm

Even so its not that many considering the size of the population.

The bbc told me 8 deaths...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8021547.stm

Even so its not that many considering the size of the population.

Strange...

WHO says the virus, which has killed an estimated 150 people in Mexico

also from the BBC.

Ah well, as you say it's a tiny number of people.

Haha, if that's true it's an absolute waste of money. f**ks sake.

I'd imagine you mate might be a little off the mark though. I think the media knows how much they're spinning this.

nah his dad works in the bbc apparently. always wondered what they spend the tv licence on...

I think you need to weight sense and reasoning again what 'your mate' whose dad 'apparently' works for the BBC says. Sounds like a bit of a tenuous source. I can't see how the BBC would do that even if it was a human form of bird flu ripping through London.

I think you need to weight sense and reasoning again what 'your mate' whose dad 'apparently' works for the BBC says. Sounds like a bit of a tenuous source. I can't how the BBC would do that even if it was a human form of bird flu ripping through London.

well im just going by what he said...

Have you heard about the phone helpline ?

It's a bit shit, you phone it up and it puts you through an automated option list. But when you get through to someone you can't her anything because it's cracklin' !

The best thing to do is check your body regularly, If you've got it you'll come up in rashers.

Edited by Pashley26