Post A Picture Of Your Pets.

bigamac

Preety much Adam, if they've sprayed a weed killer or something it'll f**k up yo reptile a treat. That an bags of seeds are like a fiver, for a huge bag. I've got 3 plant pots full, a propergater full and 2 large plant pots full to the brim with weeds/petunias and pansies, and I don't think I've spent more then a fiver....

Just got a video of snuffles hunting crickets! :D

Never seen him hunt before so Im pretty happy, excuse the crap quality and rotation, its off my phone and I dont know how to change it :$

Edited by forteh

Just got a video of snuffles hunting crickets! :D

Never seen him hunt before so Im pretty happy, excuse the crap quality and rotation, its off my phone and I dont know how to change it :$

Thats awesome B)

I've got my heart set on another beardy but My dad wants to get a turtle/tortoise first :( We're going to larn at the weekend to have a look at some.

What breed would we suggest folks? Something pretty big would be cool :)

Also, Get some pics of your beardy up tom! :( It's cool B)

• Like 1

What breed would we suggest folks? Something pretty big would be cool :)

Red foots grow preety big, but need humid indoor setups i dont know how you go on with outside runs with them thou.

If you wanna go all out, Sulcata torts grow f**king huge. Like a meter across the carapace. Add me to MSN dude, be cool to chat....

Any rodent/ rabbit nerds about? Going to be making Dusty (Chinchilla) a run for the summer, well when it gets dry.

What wood can i and can't i use?

Are there any deffinate no no's that arent obvious?

I know not to use stain or varnish and i know that all nails and screws need to be out of harms way along with the chicken wire.

Following a complete suprise from my gf, I now have a female tokay aswell :D

Called miss giggles to eventually go with mr snuffles, lovely banding on her tail and lots of spotty white spots!

Here she is giving piggyback rides of the insectivorous variety, already blueing up quite nicely after some warmth on a heatmat.

DSC_8731.JPG

Hope she keeps the banding, time will tell

DSC_8733.JPG

Certainly much, much feistier than mr snuffles, a couple of good chomps on the gloves transferring her to her new viv, a couple of minor escape attempts aswell; Im used to handling snuffles who lets face it is just a cross between a leo and crestie for handling!

Yeah the locust is about an inch long, Im guessing shes about 8-10" with all of her tail, shes pretty skinny though, needs fattening up alot! She weighs 41grams, my male tokay (who is also 10" long) weighs 110grams :o

With regards to interaction, generally they are very vicious and will bite you rather than run away; in general its a defensive thing but with alot of time and patience they can be tamed. When theyre small (up to about 5-6 months) the bites dont really hurt, an adult is quite capable of ripping chunks out of your hand though, even a quick warning nip will bleed profusely :D

When I first got mr snuffles (my male) about 5 months ago he wasnt happy being handled, he would gape, bark and snap at me. Gradually over time I got him used to the notion that I wasnt going to eat him and he doesnt need to run away or bite me, as such I now have a tokay thats pretty much hand tame (I can get him out of the viv most of the time without him complaining too much) but you always have to be aware that if he feels so much as restrained or threatened he will bite and it will bleed :)

With miss giggles she is alot more flighty, tokays are stupendously fast, coupled with the ability to jump and climb (did you know that an adult tokay could theoretically hold up 90lbs with 1 foot :o ) it can make them pretty tricky to catch. I got 2 good bites on the gloves whilst transferring her from the transport box to her viv, if I hadnt of had the gloves on I would probably still be bleeding now 3 hours later :D

They are an awesome gecko, not for beginners or people scared of pain, once settled and content they go really blue and imho are one of the most stunning species to look at.

A recent photo of mr snuffles looking very blue.

DSC_8399.JPG

Do they taste as good as they look?

I'd say yes, although it's all down to personal preference. Much nicer than crickets but from what i gather, not as nutritious. Also rather crunchy and a massive pain in the arse if you get a leg/wing stuck in your teeth :(

Snuffles is cool as f**k! I need one of these i think! I considered one before i went with the beardy although i was after something with a higher level of interaction and something that socialized alot more and was told beardies would be my best bet. We're Going to start to become over run by reptiles soon, we started of with just the one Leopard gecko and now we have her and the beardie, i'm planning on getting another one (..Female), Dads after a tortoise/turtle, mum wants a snake and I think i may have to inquire about a tokay.

Have you got them both housed together? Excuse my ignorance if thats a stupid question, i just don't know much about them :P What are they like on food consumption, i'd assume similar to that of a leopard gecko given they're around the same size.

Being bitten not a massive really, i had a rabbit years ago and i think every single one of my fingers and thumbs has at least one scar from being bitten :P

So, how many reptiles have you actually got now Ed?

Sorry for all the questions :$ I'm just becoming a bit obsessed with lizards/Snakes etc :P

Edited by Adam-Griffin
  • Like 1

I'd say yes, although it's all down to personal preference. Much nicer than crickets but from what i gather, not as nutritious. Also rather crunchy and a massive pain in the arse if you get a leg/wing stuck in your teeth :(

Tokays prefer crickets in general, you dont get many locusts (which are just a species of desert grasshopper) in the asian rainforests :D

Its a pity really as I breed locusts (for my gfs cresties and leos) and quite happily handle them, however I really cannot stand to touch crickets :(

Tokays prefer crickets in general, you dont get many locusts (which are just a species of desert grasshopper) in the asian rainforests :D

Its a pity really as I breed locusts (for my gfs cresties and leos) and quite happily handle them, however I really cannot stand to touch crickets :(

I much prefer to handle crickets! Locusts just creep me out haha. Having said that though, it's much more interesting to watch them eat locusts and from what i gather, locusts are more 'hygenic' in that they don't burrow, and they're too big to hide in all the places the crickets do. At the end of the day they're both ugly as f**k though haha.

Do you have to mist tokays with water regularly to simulate the rainforest or anything? Again please excuse the n00bnness of my posts :P

• Like 1

I much prefer to handle crickets! Locusts just creep me out haha. Having said that though, it's much more interesting to watch them eat locusts and from what i gather, locusts are more 'hygenic' in that they don't burrow, and they're too big to hide in all the places the crickets do. At the end of the day they're both ugly as f**k though haha.

Do you have to mist tokays with water regularly to simulate the rainforest or anything? Again please excuse the n00bnness of my posts :P

Eww crickets are gross, they smell, bite and eat each other; locusts on the other hand dont smell (unless you have to many in one box and they start to sweat/mould) dont cannablise and are generally much nicer to look at :D

Another bonus of locusts is if one escapes it doesnt hide and make annoying chirping noises somewhere in your house and drive you mad, they just find somewhere warm and bask; its usually on a heater or the wall above so you can catch them easily :)

With regards to tokay bites, a quick nip from a tokay is fine, sharp pain and a fair bit of blood; a chomp and chew is when you start regretting going anywhere near them. Imagine someone closing a pair of pliers on your skin for at least 20 minutes, bear in mind these pliers have got probably close to 200 1-2mm long razor sharp teeth and every movement by yourself or the gecko will just rip more skin and flesh. Fortunately Ive only had quick nips off snuffles (love bites I call them) but he has locked onto my motorcycle gloves once, I managed to get my hands out of them but he was biting and chewing the leather for over 90 minutes; he left permanent tooth marks in the fingers, now try to imagine that on your bare skin :D

Snuffles will get through 3-4 large crickets every couple of days, he will eat locusts but not really fond of them. I mist him 1-2 times a day to keep humidity at 60-80% as an average, they drink the water droplets off the leaves/tank so regular misting is needed. He has a red lamp on a dimmer stat at the top of the viv, giving a basking spot of 95*F at the top and substrate temp of 68-70*F; he also has a white lamp (energy saver) thats on a timer 7:30-19:30 to simulate a definite day/night cycle, this brings out his colours much better. In theory they should have a night time drop but I dont do that yet, once Ive set them up in a single viv I will do so.

Ive currently got both tokays seperated for quarantine purposes and to allow miss giggles to settle in and fatten up, once shes a bit healthier I will put both of them into a 36x36x18 wooden viv and they will be fine in there. Co-inhabiting males and females is fine in a pair or trio, the females dont get pestered for sex unless you replicate the cold, wet mating season; normally theyre fairly social geckos and will often cuddle up together when sleeping. 2 males in a viv is a death sentence for the smaller one.

Our current animal list is: -

2 cats - Taj & Nermal

1 rabbit - Ralph

3 leos - Lana, Horacio & Tigger

2 tokays - Mr snuffles & Miss giggles

18 cresties - Arnold, Squirt, Rex, Styx, Osiris, Hannibal, Rameses, Velcro, Mr Sly (males) - Fidget, Kiwi, Marley, Roxy, Mallow, Guinness (female) - Fish, Vimto, Nemisis (unsexed) + 2 eggs incubating + 1 female being imported next month.

4 giant african land snails

2 royal pythons - Scud & Pheonix

1 snow corn - montezuma

1 boa constrictor - chloe (bci)

400 locusts (ok I didnt count them but its a couple!)

Nothing else at the moment, although I am tempted to get a carpet python later in the year but not sure yet due to space considerations :)

Edited by forteh

Pics of the snakes?:)

The corn snake demolishing a jumbo mouse, hes 4 foot long now.

CIMG0147.JPG

Not got any photos of pheonix, just one of scud going into shed (hence the blue eyes, theyre normally dark brown/gold). Royals are small pythons, pheonix is the bigger and about 2 1/2 foot long.

DSC_4106.JPG

The boa is almost 3 foot long now, should get to 8-9 foot at most in a couple of years time.

DSC_7788.JPG