You're Worthless.

Dr. Nick Riviera

I think people trying to argue for atheism need to think of a few things:

1) People have their different beliefs, and no amount of arguing is going to convince them otherwise. Looking at this through a lens from outer space, each person (I.e. Christian vs atheist) has a pretty much identical viewpoint, and arguing about it makes them both look pretty stupid. The high-up religious scholars that welcome people from other religions (most of them do) I think are onto something - accept the other person's right to believe what they want, and move on.

2) I don't really think cynicism is a virtue - If people can believe, why shouldn't they? It's not like being a cynic will make you better/happier as an individual. I don't think smugness is a virtue, either. So whilst I personally can't help being cynical, I would try not to be smug - shouting about how atheism is the one true path etc. That Dawkins chap infuriates me so much for that reason - He's just so smug, you know he thinks he's better than all the Christians he chooses to berate for whatever reason.

3) You're arguing on an internet forum, so you're already losing. (Insert: That photo).

4) There's no real harm in having Christian beliefs. When applied to the (perhaps remote) possibility of an afterlife, it's called hedging your bets :D Particularly since it undoubtedly gives a lot of people joy/help/guidance etc.

Don't get me wrong, religion (if it works for you) is good; be nice to people, don't steal etc. but that's just common sense.

Is it? "Common sense" is a concept that presumably has been passed on and shaped over many years of human existence. It's not hard to imagine that religion has helped shaped what we would now perceive as common sense. It's easy to cite religious wars as a criticism of religion, and it's harder to come up with obvious positives. But perhaps the positives are more esoteric and hidden, our moral values, "common sense", and the way our society behaves (which is, on the whole, pretty well) probably has a lot to do with religious beliefs in the past. Whether or not there is a god (or God) as written in the bible, I would argue that religion has had a positive effect on the world.

I don't care, who and who doesn't believe in the big man in the sky, but I don't like being condoned for believing. I'm happy being Christian, I'm happy with my beliefs.

To be honest, I kinda think that's pretty cool. If you're happy, then I wouldn't worry about the cynical bastards that are forced to be unhappy because they can't believe. Just don't be smug about it, or try to impose your views on other people (Like Dawkins) and we're cool.

Just because an idea is comforting or useful to you doesn't make it true.

Just because an idea doesn't seem possible, doesn't mean it's not comforting to other people...

[/Devil's Advocate]

Ultimately I'm still an agnostic because I don't have a clue what the f**k is going on.

That's where I fit, too. Science can't provide an answer to "Why are we here?" so I can't rule out the existence of a higher power. Doing so would be un-scientific :P

I apologise for joining the party after it's finished but,

In the 13th century, St. Thomas Aquinas developed an theory called the "cosmological argument", in which is outlined nothing = nothing and so everything must have a cause; and according to the theory developed by William Paley, each cause much have a creator.

This argument does not explain the existence of God. As according to this argument, God must have a creator? I do believe the Bible says something like God always has been and always will be, in order to side step the issue the though. In which case, why should this question only be allowed to be applied to science and not religion?

It would be very easy for a scientist to turn around and say "The universe and everything in it has always been and always will be" however, until it is proved, no scientist will claim such a thing. So I think it would be very silly to discount science simply on the cosmological argument.

Edited by ManxTrialSpaz

People invented GOD and some worthless story about him because they ciuld not explain stuff like earthquakes, floods, Lightnings, starvation, deseases, crop failure and so on..... It was always hard for a Human to understand that everything that happens is because of HIM. So they made that abstract god, whom they could blame for all that.

Also, lets face it. Most people are lasy. Why should you work hard to grow a plant when you can say your prayers and the plant is likely to grow by itself, because GOD wil help you.

in my opinion, that's why people invented G.

Edited by Dan S

Just because an idea doesn't seem possible, doesn't mean it's not comforting to other people...

On that point, I'm a pragmatic. If a delusion is the best means of somebody finding happiness then I'm all for it providing it doesn't cause problems for others. I remember a program on radio 4 a while back where they were discussing approaches to dimentia and other mental heatlth issues. A common practice has been to always make sure the patient is informed of reality (what's really going on) even if this is distressing to them. But surely it's better that somebody is allowed to continue to believe it's 1950 and that they're five years old than it is for them to become distressed simply on the principle that we 'should' know that really there are sixty-four and it's 2009.

Different means for different people. We can't all have the same ideal I'm afraid. Happiness and contentment, and what gets us closest given who we are, is what matters at the end of the day.