Experimentation

AdamR28

Adam have you tried one of the ceradure rotors yet? According to the dutch bloke I spoke to at Cycle in london their performance for trials is great and they are really light (fair bit less than the rockman jobbies).

Had a look at these in belgium and they weigh nothin! as for performance i think they are fine for xc or similar riding, but the trials bike that i had a go on with these disc had a real lack of hold and bite! as for the cost! i just dont think it will catch on for trials, or can see people willing to spend that sort of money. might be alright for other disicplines of riding though

You considered making some metal "pads" to use in the brake with this rotor? Looks really interesting through and will definitely be keeping an eye on the thread to see how things pan out.

Out of interest, how much has it cost so far?

I have ALWAYS wanted to try a carbon rotor. Did you get the idea off me or some other basher?

bit brave trying a rear one though? I would have thought a front would have been safer, but at least if it holds up then we know that it will be fine for the front.

Let me know how it holds up!

Theres an image of a carbon rotor on the 20th anniversary addition of MBUK, don't ask me how i remember these things but i do.

Its more drilled and refined than your beast though.

I cant find my copy but its on the top 10 mtb innovations page.

carbonrotor-1.jpg

Found it

Edited by davey1991

Adam,

carbon is softer than steel, will the rotor wear down instead of the pad?

From my very limited knowledge, I understand that's half the idea, you use metal pads because the disc rotor works as the friction material, so you replace the rotors rather than the pads.